If you have been wondering about ways to hook up your Xbox Controller to your computer and do cool stuff, there are some workarounds for that. Using the Wireless Xbox 360 on Windows can be done using three ways as per the internet community. Here are the steps to do that.
- Xbox Receiver for PC is not Bluetooth
Do remember that you cannot hope to connect the Xbox controller to the PC simply using a Bluetooth connection. Even if you have purchased a wireless Xbox 360, the frequencies used by the devices are somewhat off of Bluetooth, so do not go for any device that sells them.
- Xbox wireless controller does need a special adapter to work with your pc.
- It does not come with the controller nor does Microsoft sell it for you.
- You have to buy a separate pack that comes with a controller and its tested counterpart, the USB adapter for windows.
- Official and Easy Way
If you already have a controller and still have money, better go with this least frustrating and officially verified approach that Microsoft has to offer for you. What you would have to do is get a pack of stuff directly from the company.
- You can buy the official Xbox 360 wireless controller for Windows pack.
- It is expensive but no frustrating and worth the money.
- This has been too old, but you can still locate some at retail outlets and off-the-shelf stores.
- You will have an extra controller, but you can sell that if you don’t need it.
- The Price is a Bit Steep
The official tag on the bundle is $60 and the worst thing is that you will find it pretty close to that price only. This means that there are no offs even if it is old.
- The options at best buy also sell it at the close price.
- Try to see if you can get it cheaper while checking out.
- On Amazon, do check that the item is “fulfilled by Amazon”.
- Since it is possible that it is not the official but a Chinese duplicate, be ready to return as soon as you find it.
- Clones can be a Headache
If you cannot spend that kind of money, then you can go for third-party and cloned products that are available at very modest prices. Then, you can only buy the USB receiver for the PC that Xbox’s wireless controller is transmitting on.
- These knockoffs are in huge numbers on the online stores.
- They start from a mere $7 to $15 and cover a wide range of brands.
- Some of them are flawless clones in terms of look, and may even work perfectly if you are ready for that headache.
- These are headaches because you never know if they will actually work with your pc or not, there is no guarantee.
- Finding Orphaned USB Receivers
If you try to dig a little bit more, you will even find a middle market for these USB receivers. Because, not everyone wants both the controller and the received bundle, a lot of products, all original is separated from their controllers and sold online.
- If you try, you can find such items on Amazon and eBay.
- But, this is a gamble because you are not sure what you will receive.
- If You Want to Gamble
If you are indeed willing to give it a try, then you must be aware of the listings that users put online. These orphaned USB receivers were tested with their counterpart controllers, you remember. So, it is possible that there is a slight chance of incompatibility, partially.
- Look for those listings that show a proper picture of the devices.
- View for the Microsoft logo, the proper markings that say “Microsoft Xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows” on the back.
- Look for those listings that also provide you the CD, official booklet and drivers.
- You don’t Need Drivers
Even though you don’t need the drivers but having them and looking for a detailed sheet helps you place your gamble more confidently and the product you will receive should work fine.
- Windows will download the drivers automatically when you are trying to install them.
- Remember that Microsoft does not sell them separately, so remember that you are doing a bit of risky business.
- These official ones are priced somewhere around $15 like in Amazon.
- Installing Your Adapter
If you want to do all by yourself, you can save a lot of money, but maybe not. If your purchases do not work fine, then the whole thing is a waste of time. Rather, you can just collect some funds and buy the whole bundle together.
- To install the adapter drivers you have to various things on windows.
- Based on whether you are on Windows 7, 8 or 10, the steps may vary.
- Usually, the thing involves looking for the device when plugged in, in your “devices manager”.
- It should read as “Xbox 360 wireless receiver for windows”.
- Windows 8 vs Windows 7
If you are trying to install on Windows 8, you just have to plug in your adapter, and after some seconds you shall see it is recognized by your device manager.
- Windows 8 will automatically download and install the drivers making the adapter ready for use.
- On Windows 7, you will be prompted to add the new hardware.
- You can then click on the add USB adapter and “Install the software automatically” to proceed.
- You can download it separately or install it from the CD or from the official site.
- Windows 10
The drivers are available for all Windows. For example, they are officially available here.
- Test your controller by running some games.
- An unknown clone will need their drivers provided with them, check them instantly or return.
- Some third-party clones might read just some rubbish assigned names in the device manager.
How can I connect my Xbox 360 controller to my PC without receiver?
Can you connect Xbox 360 controller to PC with Bluetooth?
How do I connect my Redgear wireless controller to my PC without a receiver?
- Open control panel and search ‘game’.
- You will get a hardware option ‘Setup USB Controller‘.
- Click it and check if your device is detected. You can also calibrate the device.
Is a Xbox 360 controller Bluetooth?
How do I know if my Xbox 360 controller has Bluetooth?
How do you turn on Bluetooth on Xbox 360 controller?
Why won’t my Xbox 360 controller connect?
Why is my Xbox 360 controller flashing and not connecting?
Can you Bluetooth Xbox 360 controller to phone?
Unlike the newer Xbox One controllers that rely on Bluetooth, the wireless version of the Xbox 360 controller uses its own wireless connection. This means that it isn’t quite as simple or straightforward as pairing it with your Android phone or tablet.
How do you connect your phone to Xbox 360 with USB?
What are the USB ports on Xbox 360 for?
It ditched wired controllers for wireless ones. It moved the memory card slots from those original Xbox controllers onto the console itself, and it made the hard drives hot-swappable. The USB ports eventually allowed for the use of USB drives and devices for storage and media playback.
Can I connect my phone to my Xbox 360?
How can I control my Xbox 360 with my phone?
How can I stream movies from my phone to my Xbox 360?
How do you connect your phone to Xbox 360?
- Step 1: Download the Xbox app.
- Step 2: Connect to your network.
- Step 3: Sync your smartphone with your console.
- Step 4: Use the app.
- Step 5: Control your Xbox One with the app.