Often we get de-motivated when we are faced with failure, in work, in our career goals or in our personal lives. Such disappointments often rob us of motivation, even to do simple things and go through life. Here are some tips to find motivated when you are feeling depressed:
- Set a Low Bar
Often the depression is mainly due to:
- What we expected from ourselves or from others.
- When we are robbed of our basic level of confidence it is hard to find one’s feet back on the ground.
- You would feel lethargic and low, not wanting to do basic tasks or work even for yourself.
In such instances, it is important to be a friend to yourself. Simply focus on getting by the days. If you have faced a colossal crisis, it might do right to simply not think or process all that in your mind. Simply try to blank out your mind and relax.
Start by trying to live out each day, doing the basic chores that need to be done. At the same time, put aside tasks that seem too difficult like talking to others, having to attend social events. If possible, take some time off work to get your head around your situation.
- Be a Friend to Yourself
If you had a BFF who could come over and be with you, he or she would probably suggest eating something that you like, going for a movie with a theme that you would enjoy. Why not indulge in the same yourself?
- Allow yourself to eat your favorite food items even if binging on the same would not be advised.
- Curl up with a good book you have been planning to read.
- Watch your favorite show or movie with popcorn made at home.
These are some ways you can comfort yourself and give yourself the time and space to unwind and relax after you have faced an emotional crisis.
- Get Support or Help
If you are wallowing in self-guilt or despair and are unable to get out of negative thoughts, it would be wise to:
- Seek help from a counselor or a psychologist; such experts being strangers to you but equipped to help with objective tools, would be the perfect solution to get your problem talked about out loud.
- Confide in a friend or peer if you feel comfortable doing so; talking proves to be therapeutic. Even if the other person can do nothing but listen, the one who is depressed would be able to feel better simply talking or discussing about his or her problem.
- Set Everyday Tasks as Goals
When you feel depressed, ordinary activities seem to lose meaning. Hence, you would not want to visit the gym, go to work, do your groceries and so forth. However, it is important to set them as tasks that need to be done. In initial days you could let yourself down easy; however, as days go by, be more firm about picking yourself to go to the gym, getting back to your work, doing your home chores and attending to other responsibilities.
- Get Physically Moving
Even though you might not feel like moving a limb when you are depressed, remember that physical activities can have positive effects such as:
- Going for a walk outside will not only get your heart rate increased but also bring forth hormonal secretions that help to allay negative emotions.
- Working out in a gym or sticking to a regular workout routine would help one to feel more in control of their day.
- Being in the presence of others will help remove the feeling of being alienated.
The above points can help people find the motivation they seek to get back on their feet. However, one needs to admit to themselves that they would not feel like doing certain things, such as being socially responsible to most people. It is best to be a friend to oneself and not be too much bothered about how it might appear to others.
Finding positive inspiration from things around one would help one to find the confidence in them, to accept their failures and plan how to get on with life.
How do I find motivation and purpose?
- Simplify your day. Do less. Pick just one thing to focus on.
- Clear distractions. Shut off the Internet.
- Move in one small step. Don’t tackle the whole damn project.
- Get more sleep. Lack of sleep, too little water, too much stress, and too much caffeine are causing your headaches.
What causes lack of motivation?
How can I get my motivation back?
- Don’t Think About it as Hard Work.
- Create Small, Bite-Sized Goals.
- Read Daily.
- Stop Caring About the Things That Don’t Matter.
- Set a Quit Time.
- Just Do It.
- Celebrate Wins.
How do I get motivated without motivation?
- Break tasks in to manageable chunks.
- Write down each positive thing you experience throughout the day.
- Give yourself credit for the small things you do.
- Have some ‘me time’
- Be gentle with yourself.
- Try to be present.
- Attend helpful events.
- Ask for help.
Why am I getting so lazy?
For example, a poor diet, too much alcohol and lack of good quality sleep can all leave you feeling tired and unmotivated. Make small changes to your lifestyle to try and improve how you feel. Stress can also lead to poor sleep, which in turn can make you feel tired and lacking motivation.
How can I motivate myself everyday?
- Evaluating and reflecting what’s going in your life right now.
- Defining your dream and goals.
- Making your goals S.M.A.R.T. (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-sensitive).
- Holding yourself accountable.
What causes lack of motivation and energy?
How do you find energy and motivation?
- Eating The Right Foods.
- Take A Multivitamin That Works For You.
- Adequate Sleep And Rest.
- Get Excited About Accomplishing Goals.
- Daily or Weekly Exercise.
- Avoid Negativity At All Cost.
- Find Time For Yourself To Reflect.
What vitamins should I take if Im always tired?
Which fruit is best for energy?
How do I test my body energy?
- Bananas. Share on Pinterest Bananas are rich in potassium.
- Avocados. Avocados are a well-rounded fruit in terms of health values and nutrients.
- Goji Berries.
- Dark berries.
What drink is good for energy?
- Pay attention to diet. One of our main sources of energy is, of course, the food we eat.
- Do some light exercise.
- Put time aside for yoga, meditation.
- Learn to delegate tasks.
- Don’t underestimate sleep.