IP address plays a significant role in how the internet works.
IP address represents the exact place where you live on the internetFor a better and simple understanding, suppose you write a letter to your GrandparentsWhile writing the letter, you put your address and their address at the bottom of the envelopeThat similar fundamental is going with your computer right now when you use the internet.
The basic idea of communication on the web is through the traffic router on the IP address. You might be wondering how IP addresses can be found on your computer or Smartphone, and there is an easy way for this particular purpose. Consider reading through the whole articles to fulfill your curiousness.
Ways to Find IP Address on Windows Computer
At some point in the time, your manager might ask what your IP address to make a connection is. This detailing will help you understand how to find IP addresses on every Windows OS version Computer.
2 Methods to Find IP Address on Windows 10
In this tutorial, you are going to learn how to find the IP address on Windows 10. There are two secure methods you can follow for a particular case.
Finding IP Address on Windows 10 using Network Center
- Boot on your device and search for “Control Center” on the windows search bar. Else you can use Cortana to find Control Center.
- On the Control Center search and find, “Network and Sharing” option.
- On the Network and Sharing, click on “Change adapter settings.” On the pop-up window, you will see IPv4 and IPV6. IPV4 represents IP version 4, which is widely used to date.
Finding IP Address on Windows 10 Using Command Prompt
Command Prompt is the command-line interface of the Windows Operating System. You can reasonably do anything on the command-line that’s possible on the UI interface.
- On the Start icon, click on it and type “Command Prompt” or simply “CMD.”
- Open the application and see if you are connected to the internet using the ping command, ping google.com.
- As soon as you see the proper connection with the internet, type ipconfig to view detailed information on the private IP address of your computer.
Ways to Find IP Address on Windows 8
Every computer having an internet connection has an IP address. Finding an IP address on Windows 10 is most comfortable of all.
- On the network icon available on the taskbar left-most side, click on it.
- Now, click on “Network and Sharing Center.”
- On the interface, select the network currently active on your device. Explicitly click on something that says; Connection: Ethernet 2
- On the pop-up, click on the “Details” button to see network connection details along with the IP address.
Ways to Find IP Address on Windows 7
Despite being an old Windows version, Windows 7 is still used in recent days; thus, it is also essential to know where you can find IP addresses when connected to the internet.
- Press Windows+ R key at once to open the RUN tool.
- On the given blank area, type “Control Panel.”
- On the Control Panel search for the option that says “Network and Internet Connection.”
- Then, click on the “Local Area Connections” tab.
- There you can find your personal IP address.
2 Processes to Find IP Address on Mac OS
There are two kinds of IP addresses on our vicinity; internal IP address and External IP address. This guide will help you find your Private IP address on Mac OS.
Finding IP Address on Mac OS using Network Preferences
- Open “System Preferences” by clicking on the drop-down list from the Apple icon from the top left corner.
- On the available lists, select “Network.”
- There are couples of network interfaces available to select, click on one to which you have connected with the internet. Let’s say you are connected to the Wi-Fi network, here select Wi-Fi from the list.
- In the middlebox, there will be shown the details about the network name and IP addresses.
Finding IP Address on Mac OS using Terminal
Many people prefer using Terminal to troubleshoot network connection, and for the troubleshooting, you require details on IP address.
- Click on the search bar on the Mac Os and type “Terminal” to find it.
- Open the Terminal and use the command ifconfig; this command will show details about the internet interface.
- On the generated results, one saying inet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is your IP address.
Ways to Find IP Address on Linux OS
If you use Linux Operating System for daily work, you probably should be familiar with the Linux Terminal. People prefer using Terminal to GUI interface in Linux.
Finding IP Address on Linux using Terminal
- Right-click on the Desktop blank area, among the provided context menu, select Terminal to open.
- On the Terminal, use the command ifconfig. The command will show all the network interfaces on the system followed by IP addresses, and it’s that simple.
Method to Find IP Address on Smartphone
We use smartphones every moment of our day. The Smartphone is all GUI based; thus, you might get into confusion whether we can look into IP address on them. It’s pretty straight-forward than you can imagine.
Processes to Find IP Address on Android Phone
- On your Smartphone, open the “Settings.”
- In the settings, find “Wi-Fi” settings and tap on it.
- There will be lists of the available network in your area. Click on the connected network (your Wi-Fi network).
- The details of the IP address your phone is using will be shown right on the screen.
Processes to Find IP Address on iPhone and iPad
- On your iPhone, open “Settings.”
- Then look for “Wi-Fi” on the interface, open Wi-Fi settings.
- Now, enable the Wi-Fi if not already then connect to your Wi-FI network.
- On the connected Wi-Fi network, you can see the info (i) icon at the right corner, tap on it.
- There you can see the IP address your iPhone uses to communicate on the internet.
Important: As discussed above, there are two types of IP address available; Internal and External IP address. All the above discussion follows the idea to find the internal (Private) IP address of your network. Numerous webpages give information about External IP address. In case you are eager to know your External IP address follow the detailed steps mentioned below.
- Open your favorite web browser and navigate through the given webpage, WhatIsMyIPAddress.
- On the very website, you will find details about your IP address, your ISP, location, and other relative information.
The following method applies to both mobile and PC platforms.