A Mac Keyboard is designed to perform several simple and complex functions. Although the keyboard is quite sturdy certain hardware glitches or software dysfunction can affect the functioning of the keys.
This could be a temporary problem and you can solve it by following certain simple steps. Described below are a few simple steps that can help you in reviving your Apple keyboard.
Check the Connection
- For a USB keyboard, first, check the connection. Make sure that you insert the cable into the port properly. But still, if it is not working, try connecting on another USB port. If it is a wireless keyboard, check the Bluetooth connection of your MAC.
- Turn it on if it is off. Next, check whether the wireless keyboard is on. On the back of your Magic Keyboard, you can find the power switch. If you have an older version of the wireless keyboard, you can find the power key on the right side.
Make Sure that Your Wireless Keyboard is Correctly Set Up
- If you have an Apple wireless keyboard, you should check if it is paired with your Mac PC. When you turn on the keyboard if the LED light remains on without blinking it indicates that the keyboard paired with another device.
- In that case, you need to open the System Preferences from the Apple Menu of your Mac PC. Under System Preferences, find Bluetooth and remove the wireless keyboard listed under it.
- Now, restart the keyboard and pair it with your Mac PC when it is detected under the Bluetooth section. In the case of a Magic Keyboard, make sure that you connected properly with the help of a ‘Lightning to USB’ Cable.
Restart the Apple Device
If the first 2 steps couldn’t fix the issue, it is time to refresh all the input and output connections. But before you do that, try restarting your Mac computer.
After restarting, turn on the keyboard and check if the keys are working. After trying each step you should check if the keyboard is functioning. Listed below are a few ways to check the keys:
- Tap multiple keys including number keys, control keys, and function keys.
- Try typing in different documents like TextEdit and Notes.
- Press and hold the keys that are not functioning for a few seconds. Briefly press and hold the toggle keys like Caps Lock.
- Try the same with the Media Eject key. This can help if your keyboard is partially functioning. In other words, if only a few keys are not responding, you should try this step.
- If it is a wireless keyboard, you can check the connection by pressing the Caps Lock Key. It would light up if you connect the keyboard properly.
Unplug all the Input and Output Devices
- If restarting doesn’t resolve the issue, slowly unplug your keyboard and mouse. Also disconnect devices like printer, camera, hub, and iPod.
- Now, reconnect the keyboard firmly into the USB port and turn on the keyboard. Check if the issue fixed. All the minor hardware glitches should get resolved by now.
Recharge the Wireless Keyboard
If you are using a wireless Magic Keyboard (with or without numeric pad) you should check if it is adequately charged. Open the Bluetooth menu of your Mac PC and check the battery level. You could see this in the top area.
Recharge the keyboard if the power level is too low. And for an older version of a wireless keyboard or Apple wireless keyboard, check and replace the batteries if necessary.
By following the aforementioned steps you can fix most of the temporary issues encountered by your Apple keyboard. But if you still cannot get to correct your keyboard, there should be an underlying defect which an Apple technician needs to inspect.
How do you fix a dead key on a Mac keyboard?
How do I fix unresponsive keyboard keys?
How do I fix my Apple keyboard keys?
Why some of my keyboard keys are not working?
Does Apple replace keyboard keys for free?
Why does my Apple keyboard not work?
Does Apple fix butterfly keyboard for free?
How long does it take to replace Apple keyboard?
How much does it cost to fix Apple keyboard?
You’ll likely be charged about $125. But that does not include keyboards that have been damaged by water or other liquids. Those repairs from Apple will cost you anywhere from around $600-$1,300, depending on the size and state of your laptop.
Does Apple Fix Sticky Keys?
How do you clean a Mac keyboard?
Can you remove Apple keyboard keys?
Can you remove magic keyboard keys?
How can I clean my Mac keyboard without the keys?
How do you clean a Mac screen and keyboard?
How do I clean keyboard keys?
- Don’t Get Your Keyboard Dirty in the First Place.
- Tap Crumbs Loose, but Don’t Shake Your Laptop.
- Get Some Air.
- Try a Dust Vac to Clean Keyboard.
- For Caked-On Grime, Use Screen Wipes.
- Use Cotton Swabs between the Keys.
- A Few Cleaning Don’ts.