How to Hang Christmas Lights on Gutters
To make it easier for DIY ideas to decorate your house, there are several online tutorials and instructions. Christmas is all about making things by yourself.
Hang Christmas Lights on Gutters without Clips
If you do not want to use clips or cannot use them for some reason, for example with gutter guards, then there are some other ways you can install the Christmas lights into them. For example, you can make use of glue.
- There are regular all-in-one clips that can be installed under the gutter if on them, and they can hold C9 bulbs easily. Since they are underside, they do not hinder with the cover.
- There are shingles to which you can attach your lights to, rather than the gutter itself, and, that way you do not have to use any nail or staple which can void the roof warranty.
- Temporary shingles will work as intended all the time, and if not you can do something more.
- You can purchase a set of moisture-resistance adhesive hooks, which can be attached on the surface or underside of the gutter, and then allow the string of lights to hang by them.
- Of course, since these adhesives are moisture-resistant, you can use them for outdoor areas too and are good for a temporary solution in wet conditions also.
Hang Christmas Lights on Gutters with Leaf Guards
Now, if you do not know, a leaf guard is gutter protection and one-in-all debris and rain protection system that are used widely across houses in the US and in many parts of the world. This provides a smooth surface where hanging lights is very simple and removing it too.
- The leaf guard gutters are not the same as open gutter covers but still you can use your traditional Christmas lights without breaking the festival spirit over the matter.
- Installing new leaf guard gutters means if you have in-built clips on your Christmas lights, you can hang them easily on them.
- If you do not have clips, then you can purchase gutter clips from any local hardware store or home improvement store and you can then use them easily.
- The string of lights attach snugly as you can imagine by the leaf guard gutter flap, securely, while not hindering the purpose of the same.
- Yes, you can use adhesive-based hooks too and easily place them, but clips are much easier to install and reusable too.
Hang Christmas Lights on Gutters with Clips
If you want to use gutter clips, then you have to first identify and find out what kind of gutter you have, and then what sort of gutter cover has been installed. These can make things easier or difficult for which type of clips you choose.
- There are several types and you can easily find a clip guide chart online. There are multi-purpose clips, clips especially for light strings with removable bulbs, rope light clips, clips for special surfaces, and finally those for walkways.
- So, your gutter can use the first three kinds of clips, but also one of the special ones for non-smooth surfaces such as roof tile clips or mini-light adhesive clips for windows or smooth surfaces.
- The multi-purpose are the ones that are widely known as gutter and shingles clip and can be found at your local hardware or home improvement store by that informal name too.
- Most of these are made of plastic but can be reused unless broken and are easy to install as well as easy to remove. They all will require ladders and that is here we go to our next method.
Hang Christmas Lights on Gutters without Ladder
So, what if you do not want to risk climbing a ladder and gathering friends to help you with the same? In that case, you are fortunate that there are companies that are making something called ‘Ladderless Light Clips’.
- This is an actual type of clip which does not need a ladder to climb to the gutter; instead, it uses something more primitive to mankind.
- These ladderless lights clips come in two types, gutter and shingle, and you can use long sticks or pipes to do the work without needing a ladder at all.
- The long rod is extensible and has an upper portion where the lower part of the clip fits the kind of like a ‘Pen and its Cap’.
- So, what you do is considering your pen is very long and extensible, you take it all the way to the gutter, and the cap which is simply sitting loosely on the tip of your pen can be rested on the gutter.
- The cap has a clip attached to it that helps it get fixed to the gutter, and then once it is there, you pull your pen down.
- You put another such ‘Cap and Clip’ arrangement which is called ‘Ladderless Clip’ over the tip of your long rod, extend it and place it on the gutter.
Hang Christmas Lights on Seamless Gutters
Well, for seamless gutters the idea to arrange the clips or hooks and the length of the lights is simpler than you think. Because they are seamless you can use a tape measure and find out the length of the string of lights you will need.
- You will need extension cords to find the electric source to give power to that long string of lights.
- When the gutter is seamless and smooth, you can use a wide assortment of clips, and even adhesive hooks which will blend with the gutter easily.
- If you do not want to hinder the inside of the gutter with clips, you can do that outside or beneath the gutter so that the leaf and debris do not get stuck to your lights.
- That can be done with adhesive hooks and clips very easily when there is a seamless and smooth surface of the gutter cover.
- As you can get these adhesive hooks which are also moisture-resistant and white in color, they will blend nicely with white gutters that everyone used these days.
- All the types of clips that we have discussed so far, except 5, require a sturdy ladder and safety precautions.
Pay attention to the type of gutter you have in your house and plan the things accordingly, mainly with what type of clip/hook you will need.
How do you attach Christmas lights to gutters?
How can I hang Christmas lights without clips?
How do you hang Christmas lights on seamless gutters?
How many gutter hooks do I need for Christmas lights?
How do you hang lights on a concrete wall without drilling?
- Gutter Hooks. Gutter hooks allow homeowners to attach Christmas lights securely from all types of drain systems.
- Magnetic Hooks. A set of industrial magnetic hooks also allows homeowners to avoid drilling into stucco walls.
- Suction Cup Hooks.
How do you hang lights on a fence without nails?
If you can’t repurpose your backyard to hang the lights, then the next best option is to go with adhesive hooks. They can be bought at any hardware store and allow you to hang lights without leaving nail holes in your walls.
How do you hang lights without drilling?
How do you hang Christmas lights outside without nails?
Just like with gutter hooks, adhesive-backed hooks can help you hang outdoor lights without using nails or drilling holes. However, you don’t hang these off the lip of a gutter or other surface. Instead, you either peel the back or apply adhesive to the hook and pin it onto a flat surface.
How do you attach fairy lights to a fence?
How can I hang lights in my backyard without trees?
How can I put lights in my backyard without trees?
What hooks to use to hang outdoor lights?
What is the best way to hang outdoor string lights?
- Hanging Lights on 4X4 Posts.
- Using Metal Pole and PVC.
- Along the Fence Lighting.
- Deck Lighting.
- Gazebo or Pergola or Covered Patio String Lights.
- String Lights on Umbrella.
- Use Planters to String Backyard Lights.