Plants are those basic elements on earth essential for life. They provide fresh air to breathe and also a soothing ambiance.
Now, if you are wondering how to hang them, here you have some tips to help you with a quick and easy DIY. You don’t need to be an expert to do this, just follow these steps and make your home elegant and refreshing.
Things You Require
When you love gardening but you do not have enough space to plant shrubs, you shouldn’t worry about it. You just need to have the following materials:
- Long screw hooks/swag hooks.
- Drilling machine.
- Hanging pots with adjustable hanging chains.
Selection of Hook
While purchasing hooks, you need to keep a few things in mind; first, the type of hook you need.
- Not every room has a false ceiling installed, you may have direct slab plastered with thick punning. Areas where the false ceiling is installed, swag hooks can work. While rooms where there is no false ceiling, then you need a long screw hook to hang your plants.
- The second and most important thing to keep in mind is the load. How much weight are you going to hang? Accordingly, you need to select your hook.
- There are different types of hooks available in the market, and depending on the tentative weight you are hanging, the specification of the hook changes.
- Therefore, to be at the safe side, you should always go for a higher grade hook.
Marking and Drilling
According to your preference and choice of your space, mark the points where you need to hang the plant.
- Make sure that the distance between 2 plants is not too less or too far. Mark it on equal intervals, and then drill.
- If there is a false ceiling, your drill will pass through the gypsum sheet, and you will need a little bigger hole for swag hooks as they have hinge too.
- But, first, use the drill smaller than the screw size so that in case you don’t need hinge, you can just screw the hook.
- And if you are hanging it from the slab, use long screw hook and drill according to its screw length.
Installing a Hook
Installing the hook swag:
- Screw a clip that is hinged at the top of the hook.
- Press and pull the hinge flaps closer.
- Then push it through the false ceiling, if the hole is small, make it bigger and repeat the step.
- Once the hinge is pushed up in the ceiling, the flaps will open straight, you can hear the clip opening.
- Now, check whether everything is stable and sturdy and then screw the hook until it is flushed with the false ceiling.
- When installing a long screw hook, drill the hole smaller than the size of the screw, make sure the length of the drill is almost equal to the length of the screw.
- Don’t make it too long, or it may damage your slab reinforcement. Now screw the hook until it is fixed perfectly. Make sure it is not loose.
- If you are thinking what if we need to take out the screws the holes will look ugly. Don’t worry these holes can easily be patched up by using putty or plaster.
Yes, you are now ready to hang your favorite plants from the ceiling. Remember this:
- Adjust the length of the chains and hang your pots and plants freely in the air.
- Don’t hang similar plants all on one side.
- Try to compose them properly with a mix of small plants, flower plants, climbers and creepers, etc.
- Also, don’t hang it too close to a closed surface as plants need air, water, and light to survive.
Undoubtedly, plants increase the aesthetics of some areas or rooms in this modern world where space for living is less and minimalist living is at peaks. Hanging plants from the ceiling is the best option.
How can I hang a plant from the ceiling without drilling?
What hooks to use to hang plants from ceiling?
Where should plants be hung from the ceiling?
- Mark the spot where you want your planter to hang from. Keep in mind the light requirements for the plant you want to hang there.
- Drill a pilot hole with the drill bit.
- If your hook kit has spring-loaded metal toggles, put the anchor onto the bolt of the hook so that the wings fold closed.
- Hang your plant!
Where do you hang hanging plants?
How do you hang a hanging plant on a porch?
What are good hanging plants?
How do you hang something heavy from the ceiling?
How do I find a stud in my ceiling?
Are ceiling joists load bearing?
What is the popcorn on the ceiling for?
A joist is a horizontal structural member, running across an open space, that is used to transfer loads to vertical members, typically, floors & ceilings. Many times, if the joists run perpendicular to the wall, it is load bearing. This is not always the case, but is a good starting point.
Which way should ceiling beams run?
Do ceiling beams make a room look smaller?
How much does it cost to add beams to the ceiling?
Should ceiling beams match floor?
The national average materials cost to install decorative beams is $7.49 per linear foot, with a range between $6.72 to $8.26. The total price for labor and materials per linear foot is $18.13, coming in between $15.12 to $21.14.