Putting together a metal bed frame doesn’t have to be rocket science. Follow these steps to get started:
Get to know the different types of metal bed frames
There are different types of metal bed frames for different uses, styles and spaces:
- Metal platform bed frame. The most common type of metal bed frame, the platform bed frame is designed following a three-piece metal construction that offers a strong layout for you to place your box spring and mattress.
It also has eight support legs and it can lift more than 600lbs of weight making it one of the most stable bed frames that you can find in the market today.
- Metal canopy bed frame. This is a heavy-duty metal bed frame with sturdy feet and an extra support in the middle for a comfortable sleep. The metal canopy bed frame also has metal slats where air can move freely around your mattress to keep it fresh for a long time and it also eliminates the need to use a box spring.
This type of bed frame is also stylish with its clean lines and round décor making it perfect f you’re going for a specific aesthetic for your room.
- Metal trundle bed frame. This type of metal bed frame is the perfect option if you need extra sleeping or lounging space or you just have a small room to work with and you don’t want the bed to take up all the space. A trundle easily pulls out from under the existing bed for another person to sleep on.
- Metal double decker bed frame. Also known as a bunk bed, this type of metal bed frame is another great option if you want to maximize your bedroom space.
Metal double decker bed frames are usually two twin beds stacked on top of each other with a ladder installed for easy access to the top bunk. This type of bed frame is especially popular in children’s bedrooms because they are fun, convenient and extremely durable.
Learn the tricks to choosing the right metal bed frame
If you’re still in the market for the right metal bed frame, here are some tips to help you make a good decision:
- Measure the size of your bedroom. You don’t want your metal bed frame to take up most of your bedroom space, so it’s very important to take measurements to help you choose the right bed frame size.
If you already have a mattress, place it on the floor to get a good perspective of its size or try to approximate how much space you’d want the bed to occupy in your room so you still have enough legroom to move.
If you are working with a very small room, you can also opt for a platform bed frame or even have one with drawers underneath the box springs for extra storage.
- Know the size of your mattress. Aside from measuring your bedroom, it’s also very important to know the size of the mattress itself to make it easier to buy the right metal bed frame.
For instance, if you have a queen size mattress, you would need a queen size metal bed frame. Or if you have a full-size mattress, you would want to invest in a double bed frame.
- Think about the height of the bed. If you have a huge space to work with, you can easily go for elaborate metal bed frames like a canopy or four-poster, which are a lot bulkier than your typical metal bed frame. Higher bed frames also require higher ceilings, so you need to keep that in mind when shopping.
- Decide whether you want a box spring or not. If you want your bed a little higher, you would need to invest in a box spring that will go on your bed frame before your mattress. But if you are okay without the extra height, you can opt for a platform metal bed frame that doesn’t require a box spring anymore.
Follow the steps to installing a metal bed frame
Once you’ve chosen the right metal bed frame, you can now follow the steps to putting it together:
- Inspect all parts of the bed frame first. Before putting the bed frame together, make sure that each part is well constructed and doesn’t have any damage.
Lay out all the pieces on the floor to see if there are any missing or damaged parts. You should have the L-shaped side rails, support bars, coasters or glides, L-shaped plastic end caps and expander bars if you’re using a keyhole-type frame.
Place these parts according to where they will be installed so it’ easier for you to put them together.
- Clean the area where you’ll put the bed frame. Since it will be difficult to move the bed frame around once it’s installed, you need to clean the space before you start putting together your metal bed frame.
- Start by placing two frame legs in two areas. Use the screws and bolts that come with the bed frame to attach the legs to the frame. There are times when your bed frame will come with wheels instead of feet, but you can still follow the same step in attaching them.
- Make sure that you have the right frame width. Measure the length and width of the frame first to see if it fits the measurements of your box spring and mattress. Make the adjustments as needed to ensure that you have the right length and width for a comfortable fit.
- Join the side arms together. Depending on the type of bed frame that you have, there are several options to connect the side arms together. In most cases, you will only need to use nuts and bolts to join them, but in some bed frames, you’ll only need to slide the arms in their dedicated slots. Make sure that you read the manufacturer’s manual to know the right slot to slide or screw your side arms.
- Connect the support beam. On the middle of the bed frame, attach the support beam that will connect both legs together using nuts and bolts.
- Attach the headboard. If you chose a metal bed frame with a headboard, you can now attach it for added comfort. If the headboard comes as a set with your bed frame, you simply need to find the right slots for it to be attached.
To make sure that you’re doing everything right and you avoid any problems in the long run, it’s very important to take your time while installing your metal bed frame.
You should also ask for help if bed frame parts are too heavy to avoid accidents that could lead to injuries.
Remember that you’ll be sleeping on your bed every night, so it’s very important to make sure that every part of your bed frame is installed properly.
How do you assemble an adjustable bed frame?
How do you assemble a twin metal bed frame?
- Step 1: Arrange Side Beams. Set the two side beam pieces down next to each other, with the headboard attachment pointed towards the wall.
- Step 2: Attach Cross Beams. There should be two cross beams, one for both the head and the foot of the bed.
- Step 3: Tighten the Bolts.
How do you take apart a metal bed frame without screws?
How do I get rid of a metal bed frame?
What can I do with an old metal bed frame?
Is a bed frame scrap metal?
Is a metal bed frame recyclable?
How do you throw out a bed frame?
How do I dispose of a metal bed frame in NYC?
What can you recycle in the bedroom?
- Cardboard packaging from online shopping – remove packaging tape and flatten to save space in your recycling bin.
Can toothpaste tubes be recycled?
Can deodorant containers be recycled?
What things can we recycle at home?
- Plastic Water Bottles. Plastic water bottles are the worst enemy one can have indoors.
- Aluminium Foil. Aluminium foil has various uses in our daily lives and can be real handy at times.
- Build an Eco-brick.
- Segregate your wet and dry waste.
- Reuse Your Home Delivered Newspaper.
- Replace Singe-use Plastic Items.
What are 5 things you can recycle?
- Paper including newspapers, magazines, and mixed paper.
- Cardboard (OCC)
- Glass bottles and jars.
- Rigid plastic products.
- Metal containers, including tin, aluminum, and steel cans.
- Food waste, if your city has an organics collection program.