How to Get Rid of Dog Smell
Dogs are the most favored when it comes to having a pet. However, there is a downside of being a dog owner and that is the lingering dog smell that they leave.
There is no miracle that will keep your dog from smelling. Nonetheless, you can keep your home from harboring these smells. This way you will enjoy a much fresher environment. Here are some great ways to get rid of these smells from your house.
Sweep and Mop the Floor
- The first thing that you have to do in order to make your home smell better is to get rid of the loose debris created by your dog. This means the dirt, hair, and dander.
- These are light, so be careful while you deal with them. Make sure that you sweep gently to avoid kicking these into the air. Take them to the trashcan and put it inside using a dustpan.
- Do this as frequently as possible. After sweeping, it’s time to mop the floor. Mop the hardwood surface for removing the debris and dust which you missed out on while sweeping.
- When you are done with the floors, it is time to pay attention to the carpets. Believe it or not, these hold an enormous amount of hair and dander. Thus, vacuum the carpets thoroughly. Make sure that you do not miss out on the rugs.
- Also, vacuum the furniture and curtains. A vacuum will help to collect smelly things that are hiding in the carpet. There is a vacuum that has been designed to clean homes with pets.
Steam and Clean the Carpets
- Once you are done removing the dry material from the carpet, use a steam cleaner for taking out the odors which are trapped in the carpet fiber.
- You can hire a carpet cleaning service to do the job for you but ensure that they use only pet-friendly products for cleaning. Make sure that the carpet is dry before you allow your dog on it.
Wash your Linen
- Any fabric that is used in your home can catch the odor. Hence, it is better to wash everything you can. This includes the bed linens, throw pillows, cushion covers, and anything else that can be washed in the machine.
- Make sure that you dry everything prior to putting everything back to their place. You should know that your clothes might also start smelling like your dog.
- Hence, it is better to wash your clothes too when the cleaning process is going on. This will make your home smell better. In fact, you too will smell better when you leave the house.
Wash Pet’s Bed
- The smelliest item in the entire house is the bed of your pet. This is because it is coated with dander, hair, saliva, dirt, and urine. In most of the cases, the bed is machine washable.
- So, all you have to do is take out the cover and run it through the washing machine. The core of the bed of your pet might be free from odor, if it is not, you will either have to wash it or replace it. When you are done washing and replace it, treat it with a stain repellant.
Let in Fresh Air
- Airing out the home will enable you to truncate pet-related odor. It might be somewhat tricky to do this in winter or summer.
- Hence, schedule the cleaning process when the temperature is mild enough. Open every window in your home and turn on the ceiling fans. This will bring in the fresh air and get rid of the odor.
How do you stop your dog from smelling?
5 Dog Hygiene Tips
- Bathe your dog regularly.
- Brush your dog, 2-5 times a week.
- Pat your dog’s fur with baking soda or corn starch for a quick dry bath.
- Feed your dog high-quality dog food, healthy insides equal a better smelling dog.
- Wash your dog’s bedding regularly.
Why does my dog have a strong odor?
Seasonal or food allergies can cause inflammation of the skin which leads to excessive secretion of oil from certain glands in the skin, producing a musty smell. Poor diet can contribute to this condition and can also be the cause of other problems including yeast infections, which also give off a foul odor.
What home remedy gets rid of dog smell?
Liberally sprinkling baking soda, a natural odor eliminator, on your furniture or carpet and allowing it to sit overnight is a great first step to neutralize dog smells. Plus, it’s completely safe for your fur baby. Another option is to look to your bar cart. Reichert advises spraying areas where dogs lie with vodka.
What kills the smell of dog urine?
Baking soda naturally neutralizes odors. Sprinkle it liberally on the damp area or even an old urine stain, and work the powder gently into the fibers of any fabric, rug or carpet. Let the baking soda sit overnight for maximum odor absorption, then vacuum it up to remove the smell completely.
How can I make my house not smell like dog urine?
Make a solution of baking soda, peroxide and any dish detergent. The combination of the three is often powerful enough to drive away even the strongest of urine smells. Mix together 8 fluid ounces of peroxide, 3 tablespoons baking soda and a few drops of dish detergent.
Does vinegar attract dogs to pee?
Is it safe to spray vinegar on dogs?
It has an acrid smell that is not particularly appealing to humans, but it is a natural smell which your dogs definitely won’t like. Vinegar can be used straight from the bottle to spray or sprinkle.
What smell do dogs hate?
You can use either white distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar (ACV), both of which are edible and completely non-toxic. Your pup might not appreciate the smell, but don’t worry—the strong vinegar scent fades once it dries.
How do I make my dog stop peeing inside?
At the top of the list of smells that repel dogs is the smell of citrus. Dogs‘ distaste for oranges, lemons, grapefruit or the smell of same can be useful. Many dogs can be deterred from chewing on items that have been treated with citrus odors.
What can I mop my floor with to stop my dog from peeing on it?
Never rub a dog’s nose in urine or feces, or punish a dog for an “accident.” This will teach your dog to fear you, and he may hide when he has to “go.” It is not instinctive for dogs to relieve themselves outside; it is only natural for them to not go where they sleep. It is up to you to train your dog.
What can I spray to keep my dog from peeing in the house?
What can I mop my floor with to stop my dog from peeing on it? Mix a one-to-one solution of white vinegar and water. Using a sponge, rub the solution onto the stain. Let it sit for 5-to-10 minutes, and then wipe it up with a clean, dry towel.
Is there a spray so dogs don’t pee?
Carpet Gurus suggests mixing equal parts of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle, giving the solution a good shake, and then spraying it onto the area of carpeting where your dog tends to pee.
Does vinegar stop dogs from pooping?
Pet Organics No-Go Housebreaking Aid Dog SprayPet Organics No-Go Housebreaking Aid Dog Spray. Free 5-8 day shipping within the U.S. when you order $25.00 of eligible items sold or fulfilled by Amazon. Or get 4-5 business-day shipping on this item for $5.99 . It really works for my dog.It really works for my dog.
What dissolves dog poop in the yard?
Recipes for homemade dog repellents include garlic, olive oil or almond oil. Something that is generally very effective is vinegar – dogs seem to hate the pungent, acrid smell of vinegar, and its application in a few strategic locations may do the job.
How do I stop my dog from pooping everywhere?
Doggie Doo Dissolver is the patented enzyme that when sprayed on dog poo, will dissolve it within minutes. It’s guaranteed to work; simply spray the product on the feces and watch it dissolve. The patented enzyme disperses the cells of the feces until there is nothing left.