Aloe vera gel, obtained from the sap of the said plant, is known for its divers benefits for the skin. The extract of the plant is known to possess several anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. These can help to control skin problems like acne, prevent and help cure as well as reduce acne scars.
- Use of Aloe Vera in Pure form
This is one of the preferred ways of using aloe vera gel. Though it is not really a prescribed ingredient, it is usually safe for usage. However, one could refer their dermatologist to know whether they should use aloe vera gel and in what forms.
To use aloe vera gel in concentrated form, the following steps can be taken.
- It can be procured over the counter or obtained from the sap of the leaf.
- Wash and clean acne affected area before applying gel.
- A concentrated amount of the sap or gel should be applied over the affected area.
- Allow the gel to work on the acne inflammations for at least 30 minutes.
- This can be repeated twice daily to see a reduction in inflammations or to alternate with any medicated application.
- Use Aloe Vera with Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is known to have antibacterial and natural cleansing properties. It helps to cut out excess oil accumulation on facial skin. The benefits of citric acid of lemon juice can help to reduce excess oil and cut out bacterial infections that often cause acne. A mixture of aloe vera with lemon juice can be made and applied on acne in the following way
- Take a tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to it.
- Apply to affected area.
- Leave it on for ten minutes.
- Wash off with mild water and soap.
- Apply Face Mask Made of Aloe Vera, Honey, and Cinnamon
You can make a cleansing and smoothening face mask with aloe vera and other natural ingredients to help reduce acne inflammations.
- Create a face mask at home with the use of ingredients such as aloe vera, honey, and cinnamon powder.
- Add a few drops of honey to a spoonful of aloe vera gel.
- Sprinkle cinnamon powder n the above.
- Make a smooth mixture and apply on the face overall.
- Allow the mask to remain for ten minutes.
- Wash off with warm water.
- Create a Cleansing Solution with Tea Tree Oil and Aloe Vera
Tea tree oil is known to have antibacterial effects that are beneficial for treating acne. However, it being an essential oil, it can have harsh effects on the skin when used directly. For such reasons, it is best to moderate its effects with the soothing balance that aloe vera offers. To create a cleansing solution at home with tea tree oil and aloe vera gel, the following steps can be taken.
- Mix together a spoonful of aloe vera and 2 or 3 drops of tea tree oil.
- Use a wet cotton swab to dab on the solution and cleanse the face.
- After applying the solution on the face, leave on for a few seconds before washing off.
- Use the solution 2 or 3 times daily, especially when you have oily skin.
- Keep in Stock Aloe Vera Toning Spray
When acne products are harsh on your skin, an aloe vera based spray will help to maintain the essential skin oil balance. This probably can be found at a natural product based cosmetic stores. However, you could also create your own at home in the following way.
- Mix two parts of distilled water to 1 part of aloe vera gel.
- Create a liquid that can be sprayed through a bottle.
- Store in a spray bottle and refrigerate.
- Use two or three times after you wash your face or after applying any medication for treating acne.
- Pat dries your face after you have applied the spray and allowed it to stay on for a few minutes.
- Home Scrub Made of Aloe Vera, Sugar and Coconut Oil
When you have gotten over your acne inflammations but scars remain, it would be good to scrub off and gently exfoliate the dead skin cells. At the same time, you need to use a healing and moisturizing ingredient to keep your skin soft and supple. A home scrub made of coconut oil, brown sugar, and aloe vera can be great for you’re the above purpose.
- Take a teaspoon of brown sugar whose grainy effect would help to exfoliate the dead skin cells.
- Add on a few drops of coconut oil that has lauric acid that acts as a healing and moisturizing agent for the skin.
- A spoonful of aloe vera gel can be added to the above ingredients.
- Make a paste and gently exfoliate your facial skin with this application.
- Once that is done wash off warm water.
Your skin should feel soft and supple. Used twice a week, such a scrub will help to reduce acne scars and bring out a healthy glow on your skin.
- Aloe Based Moisturizer
This is another benefit that aloe vera gel can provide for those who have acne infested skin. Usually, such people have oily skin and are often hesitant to apply thick lotions and creams. However, any aloe based moisturizer would be beneficial for the skin since it is non-oily and non-sticky. It can act as a light moisturizer for acne infested or oily facial skin.
Home-based aloe vera moisturizer can be made the following way.
- Take a spoonful of aloe vera gel.
- Add on a few drops of vitamin C or vitamin E to it.
- Blend till smooth.
- Store in an airtight container and in a cool, dry place.
This can be applied after washing the face and before going to sleep. It helps to maintain the natural moisture balance of your skin.
Effects of Aloe Vera Gel on Acne
Aloe Vera gel is known for its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. These are qualities that make it suitable for use on acne infected areas.
- The medicated topical applications available for acne treatment are often harsh on the skin. A combination of tretinoin cream, a common prescription for acne, along with aloe vera gel, can help to reduce acne inflammations and reduce acne scars.
- Aloe Vera can be applied to acne lesions that form on the face as well as on other body parts.
- It can be combined with other medicated applications as it is a safe natural application.
- It can also be used in combination with other natural ingredients like essential oils.
It is known to have gentle effects on the skin and hence, there is hardly any risk for applying it on the facial skin, irrespective of the skin type that a person has. It is a preferred skin application for those who have sensitive skin and cannot use harsh, medicated or cosmetic products on their skin. Effects of aloe vera on acne would differ as per its concentration, the other ingredients you combine it with and the skin type or kind of infection you suffer from.
The above methods can help anyone who is facing acne problems on their skin and find a natural ingredient to use at home to fight such a skin condition.