Nervousness is very common in human beings. They feel this condition often when they need to face situations which are not familiar to them. We all have a fight or flight behavior within us which enables us to perform the ideal way in a situation.
However, when you can’t control of your nervousness you may fail to perform in the right or needed way. Hence, you need to know how to be less nervous in difficult situations.
- The symptoms of being nervous. When a person is nervous, he or she may experience one or more of the following symptoms.
- Your heart starts to beat faster.
- You may feel that your hands and legs are shaking.
- You may develop sweat on the forehead.
- Your palms become sweaty.
- Your mouth and throat may feel dry.
- You may feel like avoiding the situation.
- You may feel butterflies in your stomach.
You need to take the right approach, according to the situation causing the nervousness and the level of nervousness to control your mind and emotions. You need to find by trial and error methods which techniques are more effective for you in calming your mind.
- Understand the cause of nervousness. Different people get nervous in different situations. Find out whether you are always nervous or you get nervous only in certain situations. If you are a person always worrying about things which are not under your control like bad weather, accidents, traffic or flight delays then you need to practice mind-calming techniques regularly. The different situations, making people nervous include:
- When they have to give a speech or perform before a large number of people.
- Facing the interview board.
- Talking to the opposite relationship, elders, boss or teachers.
- Meeting deadlines.
Follow the next step to know the techniques which will help you to achieve long-term control over your thinking and emotions.
- Confront nervousness. You can confront a problem only when you know that it exists. Identify the situations that cause nervous thoughts in you and write it down. By analyzing the situations which caused tension, you will be able to find the right solution for it. If you are scared of giving a stage performance, exam or presentation because of lack of practice do the performance or exams with best practice so that you will be more confident to do justice to what you are doing.
TIP: You can talk with some of your family or friend about that problem
- Meditation.The best way to calm your thoughts is to practice meditation. You can learn meditation or yoga from a licensed practitioner which will help your mind and body to relax and to have better control over the negative thoughts. Practice meditation 10-15 minutes daily to push away the negative thoughts and fill your body and mind with positive energy which will enable you to face any difficult situation.
- Diet and exercise. You can opt for different types of physical exercise which will make you feel better and confident like yoga, dancing, swimming or Tai-chi. A healthy body will have a healthy mind. So, have a well-balanced diet and get enough rest to prepare self for the important events in the life. When you have a good overall performance, you will be able to perform better.
- Instant techniques to feel better. If you suddenly get into situations that make you nervous, try the following techniques:
- Taking deep breaths signal our brain to remain calm.
- When you are taking deep breaths you are taking in more oxygen, which will energize the cells in the body.
- When you inhale deeply through your nose and exhale through your mouth you will be able to feel how your body and mind is becoming tension free.
- Deep breathe at least 10 times to feel better.
- Inspiring words. Nothing is as soothing as inspiring words for a person facing a nervous situation. If there are no friends or relatives who will be able to tell you some inspiring words for you to give moral support, try chanting inspiring words in your mind.
- Take a deep breath and chant inspiring phrases like “I’m the Best, I Can Do It” or “I’m Confident, I Will Make It Perfectly”.
- When you hear the inspiring words you will be more motivated to do it without hesitation. Be positive
- Say a prayer. If you believe in God, you can pray to God as if you are talking to a good friend. You can say how you are feeling about the situation and what you want to do. This will help you to release the tension and feel lighter.
- Do your best. Worrying about the outcome of what you are doing is the root cause of all the nervousness. What you need to do is do the right thing in the best possible way without worrying about the result. Do your best and be aware of it
- Think about the best and the worst thing that can happen.
- Understand that not everything is under your control in your life and whatever may happen life will go on.
- Understand that being nervous is quite normal and you are not inferior to anybody.
- Think that the people in front of you are vulnerable just like you and making mistakes is not a crime.
- Get medical help. Some people jeopardize their lives by being unnecessarily nervous. They find it difficult to lead a normal life with the extreme nervousness. If you are a person who experiences panic attacks while facing difficult situations, it is better to get medical help to deal with the problem.
- Do not opt for anti-anxiety medications to combat nervousness.
- These medications can only offer temporary relief.
- The anti-anxiety medications can cause drowsiness and may affect your thinking ability.
- Go for psychotherapy, counseling which will help you to overcome your fears and to develop a new outlook about facing problems.
Most of the nervous feeling you get while you are facing a situation will fade off within the first twenty seconds, so teach your mind that it is for a short duration and you will be able to take charge of the situation very soon.
Why do I get nervous very easily?
What is the 3 3 3 rule for anxiety?
Then, name three sounds you hear. Finally, move three parts of your body — your ankle, fingers, or arm. Whenever you feel your brain going 100 miles per hour, this mental trick can help center your mind, bringing you back to the present moment, Chansky says.
What is the meaning of being nervous?
How long can anxiety last?
Does anxiety go away if you ignore it?
He (or she) is constantly shouting in your ear with a never-ending prattle of your most anxious thoughts and worries. Ignoring your anxiety doesn’t make it go away; the relentless thoughts just continue.
Can I recover from anxiety?
Can anxiety be cured permanently?
Does anxiety go away with age?
What are 5 ways to deal with anxiety?
- Become a relaxation expert. We all think we know how to relax.
- Get enough sleep, nourishment, and exercise. Want your mind and body to feel peaceful and strong enough to handle life’s ups and downs?
- Connect with others.
- Connect with nature.
- Pay attention to the good things.
What vitamins help with anxiety?
Can you beat anxiety without medication?
What deficiency causes anxiety?
Does CBD help anxiety?
Ads by Google