Thermostat is known to carry out a tremendous job in lowering and raising house temperatures during different times of the day. Typically, thermostats use AAA or AA alkaline batteries. Also, you can find some thermostats that use 3V button-style lithium batteries. As it is the case, you will need to change the thermostat battery once per year or when you get to see a blinking warning signal on the screen. You don’t need a technician to help you on this. Here is how you do it.
Noting the Model
- Honeywell sells numerous models that have a specific way of changing battery. You can always find the procedure of changing the battery.
- Look out the model of thermostat on the instructional guide. Do not begin the process of removing the battery without having an idea of the model of your thermostat.
- Under these guide we are going to give you step by step approach on how to change a battery in Honeywell 2000 Series, Honeywell 4000 Series, Honeywell 5000 and 6000 Series, and Honeywell 8000 Series.
- All these models have a different approach of removing battery.
- Keep your new battery ready and in some models you may need the help of a screw driver.
Changing a Battery in a Honeywell 2000 Series
Under the Honeywell 2000 series you find model numbers such as TH2110D and TH2210D. It is easy to know whether your Honeywell thermostat falls under this category. This is because these models have a LED screen and push-button. Battery is there to provide back up when the thermostat is connected to 24-VAC power. You should change the battery after one year. Here is how you should do it.
- Begin by switching off the system. You don’t want to operate when the system is on this can be catastrophic.
- Pull the cover plate to disengage it with the wall plate. Be extra cautious when doing this. This is because if you do it carelessly you may end up damaging the cover plate or the wall plate. Do it gently.
- Once you have removed the cover plate, turn the thermostat over. Spot and remove the two old AA batteries.
- Replace the old AA batteries with new batteries.
- Snap back the cover plate back to wall plate and turn the system on.
- Keep enjoying the incredible job done by thermostat in your house or office.
Changing a Battery in a Honeywell 4000 Series
Under this series, you find H4110D and TH4210D models. Unlike the Honeywell 2000 series, the 4000 series models are specifically programmed and designed to operate cooling and heating system without the need of a heat pump. When the replace bat icon beguns to blink you should know that you have at least two months to replace the battery. You don’t have to wait until the lapse of those two months. Change the battery. The earlier the better. Here is you should do it, under this model.
- Turn of the system.
- Remove the thermostat from the wall plate. To do so, pull at the bottom of the thermostat of the face plate.
- Turn the thermostat over and remove the two AA alkaline batteries and replace them with new ones.
- Snap the thermostat back to the wall plate.
- Turn on the system.
Changing a Battery in Honeywell 5000 And 6000 Series
Under Honeywell 5000 series also known as FocusPRO 5000 you find three models; the TH5110D, the TH5320U and the TH5220D. Unlike the TH5110D model that uses AAA alkaline batteries, the TH5320U and the TH5220D uses AA batteries. The Honeywell 6000 series uses AA batteries. However, the process of changing its battery is pretty the same with 5000 series. That’s why we have placed the same under the same category. The battery compartment on both series is found on the side of the battery. Here is how you do it.
- Turn of the system.
- On the top right corner of the thermostat press and pull to open the battery compartment.
- Be sure that you can see the batteries.
- Remove the old batteries and replace with new ones.
- Swing the compartment back. You should have the new batteries ready to minimize the delay time. This is because is the batteries are changed within two minutes you will not have to reset time and date again.
Changing a Battery in a Honeywell 8000 Series
Currently, this is one of the versatile equipment made by the company. Under this series you find models such as the TH8110U, TH8320U and TH8321U. It can comfortably control three heating system and 2 cooling system at the same time. The three AAA are optional. You only need them if the thermostat is wired directly to AC power. Let’s now get into how you should do to replace the batteries.
- Gently grasp the thermostat and pull it from the wall plate.
- Pull out the 3 old batteries and replace them with new ones.
- Install the thermostat back to the wall plate once again. It is highly recommended that you change the battery after one year.
NB: do not replace the thermostat with batteries that are leaking. This is because it might corrode and end up damaging the electrical components of the equipment.
Tips: Always pay attention to low battery alerts especially the digital thermostats that are capable of displaying a warning sign two or month prior. This gives you ample time to buy and install new batteries.
How do I change the battery in my Honeywell non programmable thermostat?
- Turn the power off at the circuit breakers.
- Remove the battery compartment from the baseplate.
- Remove the old batteries.
- Replace the batteries.
- Replace the battery compartment to the baseplate.
- Turn the power on at the circuit breakers.
How do you take the cover off a Honeywell thermostat?
How do I get my Honeywell thermostat to work after changing the battery?
First, check if you have installed the batteries the right way. If not, take the batteries out and re-insert them in the correct orientation. Next, try to put a different set of batteries– it could be that your new replacement batteries are not strong enough.
Do all Honeywell thermostats have batteries?
Will a Honeywell thermostat work without batteries?
How do I know if my thermostat needs a new battery?
- Low battery indicator light on your thermostat that may also include a beep from your thermostat unit.
- Your air conditioning or furnace isn’t operating quite reliably.
- You get a blank screen and can’t set your thermostat or turn your HVAC system on.
Can I replace my thermostat myself?
What happens when battery dies in thermostat?
How often should you change the batteries in your thermostat?
This warning typically provides one to two months notice before the battery goes fully dead. As a general rule of thumb and to prevent the heating/cooling system from shutting off, you should replace the batteries at least once a year.