Crane humidifiers can keep the air in your room moist and soothing.
However, if they are not cleaned on a regular basis, the quality of the air dispersed can eventually deteriorateIn order to prevent this, you need to clean your Crane humidifier at least once a week.
Remove the Humidifier Tank
Before you try to clean the humidifier, you need to turn it off and unplug the cable. Opening the humidifier when it is connected to the power source can cause electric shocks. This can damage the device and is also dangerous to the person who handles the device.
- After you turn off the device, firmly hold the water tank and lift it from the base of the Crane humidifier.
- Also, remove additional parts like diffusers for cleaning them separately. Depending on the type of the model, your humidifier may have more removable parts.
Fill the Tank with Water
Cleaning the water tank is the main part of your cleaning session. For this, you need to prepare a cleaning solution by mixing white vinegar.
- After removing the tank from the base, unscrew the lid and fill the tank with warm water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar to the water and close the lid tightly. If it is a large humidifier you can add 3 tablespoons of vinegar.
Clean the Tank
Vinegar is a cleansing agent that can safely kill all the bacteria and microbes inside your humidifier tank.
- After filling the tank with the vinegar solution, allow the tank to sit for 10 minutes. This would give enough time for the vinegar to act on the bacteria and fungus built up inside the tank.
- After waiting for 10 to 15 minutes hold the tank firmly in your hands and shake vigorously for a few minutes. This would dislodge the debris stuck to the surface of the tank.
Wash the Tank and Accessories
After cleaning with vinegar, you need to thoroughly wash the tank to get rid of all the residues.
- Open the cap of the tank and discard the vinegar water. Fill the tank with cool water and shake again with its lid closed.
- Now rinse the tank under running tap water. Also, wash the lid of the tank and diffuser with vinegar solution followed by tap water to get rid of any impurities.
- After rinsing all the parts wipe the tank and accessories with a clean cotton cloth.
Clean the Base
Next, you need to clean the base unit of your humidifier by filling it with water and vinegar solution.
- Use lukewarm water to fill the base of the humidifier. Add 2 tablespoons of distilled white vinegar to the water and allow the solution to sit for around 30 to 40 minutes.
- Discard the vinegar water and rinse the base under running water. After rinsing thoroughly, wipe the base using a cotton cloth.
- Use a cotton swab for cleaning the corners and crannies that cannot be reached by hand.
- Always use distilled water for your humidifiers. This would reduce the accumulation of impurities. It can also prevent corrosion of various metallic parts.
- If you do not use humidifiers on a regular basis, you have to wipe it dry after cleaning and washing.
- Remove the tank and keep all the accessories in the open air for complete drying. Thus, you can avoid the need for frequent cleaning by keeping your Crane humidifier totally dry.
- If you happen to use your humidifier frequently, make sure that you replace the water on a daily basis.