Baking soda is being alkaline in nature is known to react vigorously with vinegar which is purely acidic. For this reason, it is recommended not to combine them for cleaning purposes. However, in certain cases like cleaning a clogged drain, the combination can work well.
- Pour Some Hot Water
If your drain has become inefficient in draining water, it may require some essential cleaning measures. Using hot water is one of the effective ways to make your cleaning easier.
- Take some hot water in a small bucket or pot. If you have a water heater then it would be easier. Make sure that the water is reasonably hot but not hot enough to burn your skin.
- Pour the water carefully down the drain. Pour it in such a way that the water touches all the areas inside the drain.
- Mix Baking Soda in Water
As noted above on this site, mixing baking soda with vinegar can cause unpleasant reactions. Sometimes, it can even cause a mild explosion. Hence, it is convenient to use it separately
- After pouring hot water you can start preparing a mixture of baking soda and cold water. Mix half a cup of baking soda in a cup of water.
- Pour the mixture down the drain just as you had poured the hot water. Wait for 3 to 5 minutes before you proceed further.
- Prepare a Vinegar Solution
After pouring baking soda solution down the drain you can start preparing the vinegar solution.
- Take a pot and add 1 cup of white vinegar and 1 cup of hot water. Hot water can multiply the cleaning effects of vinegar.
- Pour the mixture down the drain and cover it using a drain plug. The vinegar would react with the particles of baking soda and cause some sputters. However, if you cover the drain with a plug you may not feel the intensity of the reaction.
- Wait for 10 Minutes
Whenever you use cleaners on your drains, you should leave the area undisturbed for several minutes. If you open the faucet or pour water immediately, it can considerably reduce the effect of cleaning.
- After pouring hot vinegar solution, wait for 10 minutes before pouring more water. After that, you can flush the drain using normal water or once again use some hot water.
- If you feel that the drain has been unclogged and cleared of all the debris you can skip using hot water.
- Flush the Drain
As a final step, you may flush the drains with copious amounts of water. This is to clean up all the loosened grime and debris.
- The baking soda and vinegar treatment may take around 15 to 20 minutes to bring the desired result. Meanwhile, if you feel that the drain requires more cleaning, then you can flush with hot water.
- You can again sprinkle a handful of baking soda before pouring more water. This would definitely dissolve the leftover grime and make your drain as clean as possible.
- Before cleaning with baking soda and vinegar people often clean the drain with boiling water instead of hot water. This would intensify the cleaning process. However, you need to be extremely careful while pouring boiling water. Also, you may need precautions like wearing rubber gloves and boots to avoid getting burnt.
Although a blend of baking soda and vinegar is considered to be dangerous, when they are used together in the right manner, the results can be quite great. However, you should always use them separately, one after the other, in order to avoid the risk of an explosive reaction.
What is the best homemade drain cleaner?
What is the ratio of baking soda to vinegar to clean a drain?
Does baking soda and vinegar dissolve hair?
Instead of using harsh chemicals that could potentially damage your pipes, unclog and refresh your drain by pouring in a ½ cup of baking soda and 1 cup of vinegar. Always keep the ratio one-part baking soda to two parts vinegar.
How do I clean my shower drain with vinegar and baking soda?
Will vinegar hurt PVC pipes?
Mix 1/3 cup of baking soda with 1/3 cup of vinegar in a heat-resistant measuring cup. As soon as it starts to fizz (which will be immediately), pour the solution down your clogged drain. If you can, let it sit for at least one hour.
Is baking soda and vinegar safe for pipes?
Is it OK to pour white vinegar down the drain?
Does baking soda and vinegar really unclog drains?
Can you put baking soda and vinegar in the toilet?
What happens when you put vinegar in your toilet?
Can baking soda clean toilets?
How long do you leave baking soda and vinegar in toilet?
Can I leave vinegar in toilet overnight?
- Check and, if necessary, adjust the water level in the bowl.
- Pour one cup of baking soda into the bowl.
- Slowly pour one cup of vinegar into the bowl.
- Allow the fizz to sit for at least 20 minutes.
- See if it worked.
Does vinegar dissolve toilet paper?
How do I remove brown stains from toilet bowl?
How do I clean a badly stained toilet bowl?
Does Coke really clean toilets?
- Sprinkle baking soda or borax generously on the stained areas.
- Use the toilet brush to scrub a little bit and spread the powder around.
- Add approximately 1½ cup of white vinegar into the bowl.
- Leave the solution to work for 15-30 min.
- Repeat if there are still visible stains.
How do you clean a badly stained toilet seat?
Ads by Google