If you want to completely clear your iTunes library and start over, there are a couple of different ways you can do it. These methods are simple and don’t take much time at all. You can do this within a matter of minutes by following the instructions in this article.
Delete iTunes Library
- Exit out of iTunes completely on your Mac computer. Select the Finder icon on the dock at the bottom of your desktop.
- Select the “Go” option in the Finder menu and select “Home” open up a Finder window displaying the home directory for your computer.
- Double click on the “Music” option and double click “iTunes”. The iTunes folder will then open up.
- Select the “iTunes Library.itl” file and drag it into the trashcan icon on your dock. Hold the Ctrl button while selecting the file and choose the “Move to Trash” option from the menu that appears. Do the same thing for the ‘iTunes Music Library.xml” file.
- Hold down on the Ctrl button and click the trashcan icon on the dock to completely empty out the trash. This will delete all of your iTunes library files. The audio files themselves will still be on your hard drive.
- Start iTunes back up. When you do this, the software will instantly make a new iTunes library file. You will be able to begin adding files to iTunes again.
Delete your Audio Files
If you want to delete the actual audio files on your computer, you will have to follow these steps.
- Select the library that you want to delete in iTunes. This could be “Music”, “Books”, or “Podcasts.”
- Select the “Edit” option in the iTunes menu. Then you will need to choose “Select All”.
- Click the “Edit” option and then “Delete”. Press Option-Delete. You will see a new box appear on the screen asking you to confirm your action. Click the “Confirm” button to remove all of the audio files from your iTunes library completely.
- Select the “Remove” option. You will see another box come up that asks you if you want to move the audio files you have selected into the trash.
- Select the “Move to Trash” option. You will then need to hold Ctrl and click the trashcan icon on the main dock to empty the trash. All of your songs are now removed from your computer.
How do I reset my Apple music library?
- disabling iCloud Music Library on every device.
- logon to iTunes>account>see my account.
- authenticate yourself.
- scroll down and select “reset” iCloud Music Library.
- confirm your selection with the pop-up.
How do I clear my iTunes library on Mac?
How do I delete my entire Apple music library and start over?
Does Apple Music delete your library?
How do you delete multiple songs on iTunes?
How do I permanently delete hidden songs from iTunes?
What happens when you delete a song from iTunes library?
When you delete a song from iTunes do you get your money back?
Does deleting music on iPhone delete from iTunes?
How do I remove songs from Apple music but keep in library?
Can I delete music from my computer and keep it on iTunes?
In the iTunes app on your PC, choose Music from the pop-up menu at the top left, then click Library. Remove the item only from your iTunes library: Click Keep File. Delete the item from your computer: Click Move to Recycle Bin. The item is removed the next time you empty the Recycle Bin.
Why is there a cloud next to my songs in iTunes?
How do I download my entire iTunes library?
What does the cloud symbol mean in iTunes library?
If the icon appears on a song, it means that the song is not downloaded. If the icon appears in the top right, it means that iTunes is currently syncing with your iCloud Music Library, or has failed to sync.
Why is there a cloud next to my files Mac?
Why is there a cloud next to my files?
Ads by Google