The latest addition from Google is an app designed specifically to allow iOS users to connect to Chromecast. This was seriously in demand and Google decided to release it finally this week. It is on the App Store for devices running iOS 6 or higher. Chromecast is a $35 alternative to watching TV via iPads and iPhones.
- Learn to Plug it Correctly
This device goes into the USB port of your TV. It uses the Wi-Fi connection to work across your iPad as a controller. The content will be streamed from the iPhone to the TV. The complete setup is given at Google’s Support Center
- First, plug the Chromecast to your TV. The device/dongle is USB powered.
- Don’t forget to connect the power cord and turn on the TV.
- If your dongle is undetected, remove and plug it again.
- Switch to Proper Input Settings
This is a setting that you have to do on your big screen like the TV or an external monitor or something. There you have to access the input settings and change it from whatever to HDMI. For example, when connecting a computer to a projector you use HDMI input.
- Use the TV settings to find the input.
- Then, you have to switch to HDMI as input in your TV settings.
- Once you have done this step properly, you should be able to connect to the Chromecast directly.
- Connect to the Dongle Via Wi-Fi
You must have downloaded the app by now. The App will automatically scan for the device and locate it. The app will show a page showing that a new Chromecast has been found and asking permission to set it up for you.
- Turn on the Wi-Fi on your iPhone and look for Chromecast-like name.
- Connect to it on the same network as your iPad or iPhone.
- If your app does not find it, try refreshing or switching the Wi-Fi On and off.
- Name the Device and Change the Network
When you connect for the first time to the Chromecast from your iPhone or iPad, you can select the network and give a name to the device. In case you cannot stream, you must try checking which Wi-Fi network you are connected to on both the device. There is a separate page for checking this in the above step.
- Select a name that is easy to find through the broadcasted SSIDs.
- Make sure you select the Wi-Fi network that is the same for both Chromecast and the iPad/iPhone where you want to stream.
- Stream Your Content and Enjoy
Once the Chromecast is connected, you are ready to stream directly. Since both the device and the dongle from Google now supports streaming, you can check out your photos, movies, and other stuff on the big screen like the TV.
- The Chromecast can be used to stream any content like photos, movies, videos from the small screens like the iPhone to TV.
- You can also do the same from your computer via the Chrome browser, using Chromecast.
- It supports currently Netflix and YouTube directly running from your iPhone or iPad.
- If something goes wrong, you cannot factory reset it from the app. You have to manually press and hold the power button on the Chromecast dongle itself for like 20 to 30 seconds or so.
- There is lesser support for apps on Chromecast, and even lesser on the App Store, the Google Home for iOS. For example, you get Google Play Music and Movies and TV.
You can cast directly from YouTube or Netflix by selecting the “Cast” option and then selecting Chromecast from the drop-down menu.