Top round roast refers to the top of the round cut of beef which is usually a lean portion and inexpensive to acquire as well. There are ways to cook it in order to make it juicy and tender; once the roast is done well you can use it in your meals in different ways.
- Getting the Ingredients Together
The ingredients that you need comprise of herbs and spices mainly beside the meat to prepare and marinate the meat with:
- 3 to 4 pounds of the top of the round roast meat.
- 3/4th teaspoon kosher salt per pound.
- 1/4th teaspoon ground pepper and garlic powder, each for a pound of beef.
- A teaspoon of fresh herbs for every pound.
- Olive oil, 2 tablespoons.
- Four ounces of butter.
- Four ounces of flour.
- Marinating the Meat
- As per the proportions are given for spices, herbs, and salt, use the right amount for coating the beef.
- Once the meat is coated, place it in a zipper seal bag which should be done 24 hours before cooking.
- Hence, for those who wish to cook it for dinner tomorrow night will want to put aside the meat the previous afternoon.
- It is best to leave it on for a minimum time of 24 hours and not sooner so that the herbs and spices work their way into the meat well. That will ensure that the meat does not end up dry after it is cooked.
- Prepare for Roasting
- The meat should be taken out of the refrigerator and let to come down to room temperature for an hour or more.
- Remove the meat from the sealed bag and pat it dry. Meanwhile, the oven should be set to 325 degrees for roasting and an iron skillet should be made hot and olive oil added to it.
- Once the oil is hot, the meat should be added and seared from all ends; a sheet pan or one that is right for roasting should be kept ready for putting the meat in.
- The Roasting Process
- After the meat is seared on all sides of the pan, it should be placed on the oven rack with a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part.
- A roast that weighs 3.3 pounds usually takes 95 minutes to roast at a temperature of 135 degrees.
- This leads to a medium-rare roast. Even after it is removed from the oven and allowed to sit, the meat cooks up to 145 degrees.
- With these calculations, it is best to cook till the meat thermometer shows 135 degrees; this can be checked with a probe thermometer as well when 90 minutes of roasting is done.
- Rest the Meat
- Once the desired temperature level has been reached, take the meat out of the oven and cover with foil; if a remote meat thermometer is used then one should leave it inside the meat.
- Make a foil tent and allow the meat to sit inside it for 15 minutes.
- While the meat rests, you can make simple gravy to accompany the roast.
- Preparing the Gravy
- Since fat and herb-based oil drips from the roast while it cooks, preparing gravy at the same time can help you make use of these drippings.
- It is best not to use the herbs that are left on the skillet at the time of searing since they are fried and there would be only charred remains of the same.
- To make the gravy take the butter and melt it in a pan.
- Add the flour and cook in medium or low heat till the smell of raw flour disappears.
- Stir with a wooden spoon. To make a darker gravy as is usually made with beef it is best to cook for a longer time.
- Pour off the juices from the roasting pan and add water or meat stock from a can. Keep stirring and add salt and pepper till the gravy becomes thick. Stir to avoid lumps from forming.
- Serving the Meat and Gravy
Slice the meat and place on a separate dish or pour the gravy on top, as per your preference. Garnish the gravy with chopped parsley.
What is a top round roast good for?
How do you tenderize a top round roast?
- Pound it out. Pounding softens and tenderizes meat, making it easier to cut and eat.
- Harness the power of salt.
- Use an acidic marinade.
- Consider the kiwi.
- Give it some knife work.
- Slow cook it.
What temperature should a top round roast be?
|Top Round Roast||325°F||6-8|
|Tri Tip Roast||425°F||2-3|
Is Top round roast tough?
Which is better top round or bottom round roast?
Does beef roast get more tender the longer it cooks?
How do I cook a beef roast without drying it out?
Why did my roast turn out tough?
Why is my roast chewy?
How do you cook beef so it’s not chewy?
- Physically tenderize the meat.
- Use a marinade.
- Don’t forget the salt.
- Let it come up to room temperature.
- Cook it low-and-slow.
- Hit the right internal temperature.
- Rest your meat.
- Slice against the grain.