Crossbreeding of plants has recently grown a lot in fame; it is becoming heavily popular as can be discerned by the variety of unique fruits/vegetables available in the market every day. Gardening enthusiasts are trying their hands on different types of fruits and vegetables trying to create a perfect blend in one particular fruit/vegetable. Following the steps mentioned below, you can easily crossbreed a plant of your choice at home without professional supervision:
Choose the Plants You Want to Crossbreed
Selecting the plants that you want to crossbreed is one of the basic and most important steps in crossbreeding.
- While doing this procedure you have to keep in mind that the plants which you select have some quality in common so that they do not fail to crossbreed later. You can also choose a number of combinations to perform your crossbreed.
- The most common crossbred fruit plants for beginners are citrus with citrus or berries with berries.
- Determine the Weather, Environment and Other Planting Variables According to Your Fruit
As different plants require different time, weather conditions, heat and moisture content, light and soil preferences to blossom, it is important for you to check on that before picking them up. A fruit-growers guidebook can help you with this task.
- You can measure the weather with the help of multiple instruments.
- Also, you can take the help of forecasts to determine the weather ahead that will affect your fruit.
Prepare for Them to Reproduce
- Gather some amount of pollen from each fruit sample of your choice with a cotton swab to collect the outer part of the anthers that is the male part of the fruit, on each flower.
- Carefully mark each of the swabs for identification and put the swabs aside. Then rub the cotton swab containing male samples onto the stigma of the plant (the female part of the flower) which you wish to alter.
- Look after the plant carefully until it is time for harvest.
Pick the Ripened Fruit
- Observe your plant carefully and be sure to pick up only the fully ripened fruit.
- Do not pick a fruit that is immature as it will lessen the chances of successful crossbreeding results.
- Harvest the seeds out from the ripened fruit you just picked out.
Prepare a Small Batch of Soil for the Fruit
- Put some starter soil mix on a seedling tray and dampen the soil with some water. Plant the seeds into the soil according to their standard planting practice for that particular fruits.
- Keep in mind that they are planted according to their required depth, proper moisture is provided and they attain perfect light.
- Cover this tray with a transparent plastic wrap carefully and put it in a place where there is an ample amount of sunlight. Keep on watering and caring for the plant as is required for that particular fruit seed.
- You are Done
- After you see the sprouts forming, it is time to remove the plastic wrap. When you see two leaves forming, transfer these seedlings into their seedling pots.
- Move these plants to their permanent location, where you want to keep them when you can see them becoming large enough to support themselves or they can flourish on their own.
- When they are properly grown and mature into fruit-growing plants, you are free to taste the new fruit.
- Provided the number of fruits and vegetables that are available in the market, you can guess the variety of crossbred plants that can be produced by intermingling each one of them with the other.
However, this is not a very difficult task and does not require a lot of technical knowledge to perform. It can be done very easily by anyone at their homes.
How do you cross breed a plant?
The process of cross–breeding requires transferring male pollen from one parent plant’s flower onto the female reproductive part of the other parent plant’s flower. The female part of a flower, called the pistil, is in the center of the flower.
How do you create a hybrid plant?
How do you mix two plants together?
How do cross breeding plants work?
Can plants crossbreed naturally?
What plants can you crossbreed?
Are hybrid plants good or bad?
Is man made food healthy?
Are bananas a hybrid?
What is Hybrid example?
What is hybrid computer and example?
What does hybrid mean and examples?
What does it mean if something is hybrid?
What is called Hybrid?
Can a person be a hybrid?
Can a human impregnate a pig?
Ads by Google