- Temporarily Delete Skype Account from Computer
- Ensure you’re using a stable internet connection to do the task quickly.
- Launch your web browser. Safari is the fastest for Mac, while Chrome works great for windows.
- On your browser, navigate the Skype profile page where you can delete your details by clicking on this link https://www.skype.com/en/.
- On the top-right corner of the page that opens, click on the “Sign In” button. By doing that, a dropdown menu will open.
- From the drop-down menu, click on the “My Account” option. It appears the first on top of the list.
- If not automatically signed in through your Microsoft account, you will get redirected to the “Sign In” page. Then enter the email address that used to create your Skype profile in the field provided.
- Click the “Next” button and then click the “Sign In” to get to your account.
- Next, scroll down and click on the “Edit Profile” tab, which is the first option just below the “Setting and Preferences” section on the lower pane.
- Uncheck the “Discoverability” box below the profile “Profile settings.” Doing that will block your account from appearing in the search results and suggestions by removing it from public viewing. This process is temporary and can be easily reversed by following the same procedure used to set it undiscoverable.
Alternatively, you can delete your Skype account by deleting your details from the Skype database without having to delete your Microsoft account. By doing that, it would be impossible for anyone to locate you on Skype. Below are the steps to go.
Launch your browser and sign in to your Skype account either automatically if already signed in to your account, or by entering your email and password if you’re not automatically signed in. By doing that, you should get to “My account”.
Under the “My Account” screen, scroll downwards and click on the “Edit profile” option located under the “Settings and preferences” section. Doing that will display your profile interface and then click on “Edit” in the “Personal Information”.
Modify all the data tied to your Skype account and remove all the identifiers in the “Personal Information” section and “Contact Details” section. Ensure to delete your profile picture and then click on the “Save” button to effect the changes.
After that, scroll down to the “Contact details” section and remove or modify all the existing information that can be used to trace you.
Finally, scroll downwards to the “Profile settings” section.
Next, remove the checkmarks next to “Appear in search results” by clicking once on the checked box to uncheck it.
Proceed to the “Appear in suggestions” and uncheck the box next to it. By completing this steps, your Sky account will be undiscoverable to everyone. Also, it would be impossible for anyone to get you through the account by any means.
NOTE: This process is temporary, and you can always change it whenever you want people to discover our account and have it appear in the search results and suggestions. Also, the process doesn’t result in Microsoft account deletion.
- Permanently Delete Skype on Computer Browser
- Unsubscribe from all Skype’s premium services, if any. Since deleting Skype account involve permanent deletion of your Microsoft account, ensure to unsubscribe from all the premium services that you have on Skype to avoid future billing since you will not have control after account deletion. If you have any subscription, follow the steps below to unsubscribe from paid Skype subscriptions.
- Launch your browser and navigate to your Skype account by signing in through this link https://www.skype.com/en/
- After successfully signing in, you should get to the “My Account” screen and then scroll down to the “Account details” section.
- Select the “Auto-recharge” option found under “Billing and payments”.
- If you get a notification that Auto-recharge is not enabled, then you can choose back to return to your previous screen. If you have an active Auto-recharge, you should disable it by hitting on the “Disable” tab next to the status before returning to the previous screen.
- Next, check on your left pane menu and find out on the kind of subscriptions that you have and follow the cancellation process. Also, you can request for a refund for the unused subscription through a live chat with the support team, or by use of the online Cancellation & Refund forms.
- If you have a premium Skype dedicated number, use the steps below to cancel it before proceeding to the account deletion process.
- Head to the “Manage Features” and then click on the “Skype Number”.
- Next, click on the “Settings”.
- Hit on the “Cancel Skype” option to get the number deactivated.
- After that, remove the payment option that you were using previously, such as credit cards. You can do that by checking from the “Billing information” and then deleting all the billing information that you were using previously and exit Skype. Also, ensure you have no pending bills as Microsoft will not allow you to delete the account before clearing pending bills.
- Navigate to http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=523898 to get to the Microsoft login page. It is important to note that the only way to get your Skype account permanently deleted is by deleting your Microsoft account associated with the Skype account.
- Type in your Microsoft email address and click on the blue “Next” button at the bottom screen.
- Type in your password in the provided space on the page that opens and then click on the blue “Sign in” to get into your Microsoft account.
- Select how you want to receive a verification code by clicking on the “Email” or “Text Message.” This prompts the system to send a verification code to you either through the email address or phone as a text message.
- Retrieve the verification code from the option you selected. If you decided to use “Text Message,” head to your message app and tap on the message from Microsoft to retrieve the seven digits verification code written as use “seven digits code as …..Security code and not it down.
- If you choose to get the code through the email, check the “Updates” folder in your email account, and if you don’t find it there within a few minutes, check in the “Spam” folder. Next, copy-paste if in the email.
- Type in the “code” in the text field if you received the code via a text message or paste the code into the text field if you received it through an email account.
- After that, click on the blue “Verify” button at the lower-right corner of the window. By doing that, you should get to the “Ready to close” page.
- Ensure to click on the “No thanks” on the link that comes before getting to the “Ready to close” page. Then click on the blue “Next” button at the bottom of the page that appears.
- Ensure you check all the boxes to the left of every information provided on the page. If you don’t mark all the boxes, your final step will not be successful, and you will have to repeat the process.
- Next, click on the drop-down box to select your reason for deleting your account. If you do not get the appropriate one, type in “My reason isn’t listed”.
- Finally, click on the blue “Mark account for closure” button located on the lower left of the page. If this option appears in grey, it means that you didn’t mark all the boxes on the information page, or forgot to give a reason for closing your account. By finalizing the process successfully, your account will get deleted after 60 days.
NOTE: If you delete your Microsoft account, you will no longer have access to Outlook.com, Hotmail.com, and Live.com email address as they will also get deleted together with the Microsoft account. In addition to that, you will not have access to Microsoft subscription products associated with the deleted Microsoft account. Therefore, if you’re not ready to nuke your account, consider temporary deletion by setting your account undiscoverable and deleting your data from the Skype database.
- Delete Skype Account on iPhone, iPad & Android
- Launch your mobile browser. You can use Safari for iPhone and Chrome for Android. Since the process for deleting Skype on the mobile app doesn’t seem to work, you should use your mobile browser to do the task.
- Log in to your Skype account and then go to “Account”.
- Scroll down and tap on the “Account settings”.
- Next, navigate to the “Preferences” option
- Under the preferences, you should see the circular “Unlink” button to the right of your Microsoft email ID and then click on the button. After that, go to the confirmation message and confirm your action. By doing so, your account will get deleted from Microsoft account.
TIP: Use your mobile browser in the desktop version. If the process doesn’t work for your account, use a computer to do the task.
Before deleting your Skype account, you should cancel all your premium subscription with recurrent billing for products such as credit and any other premium subscription. You can also disable Auto-billing to avoid being billed in the future when you no longer use Skype and associated services. To do that, follow the steps below.
Got to “Microsoft Services & subscriptions page” and sign in to your account.
Locate Skype subscriptions and then select “Payment & billing”.
Click the “Cancel” button and then proceed with the on-screen prompts to fully cancel your subscriptions. When through, you should receive an email confirmation of the same. It is also important to note that you cannot cancel the subscription when you have pending unpaid bills.
- Delete Skype Account from Skype Login Screen On Win 7, 8 & 10
- Sign out from Skype by right-clicking on the Skype app in the taskbar and then select “Quit Skype in the menu that appears on the screen.
- Hold down the Windows + R keys to launch Run command box.
- In the text box that appears, type in “%appdata%” and then hit on the “Enter” on your keyboard
- Browse through the content folders to locate the one named your Skype account such as “Skype” and “Microsoft\Skype for Desktop”.
- Open Skype to confirm. The deleted username should not show on the login screen.
- How To Delete Skype Account From Skype Login Screen On macOS
- Quit your Skype application program.
- Click “Go” and then “Go to folder” from your Apple’s main menu
- In the resulting dialogue box, type in “~/Library/Application Support/Skype” and click on the “Go” button.
- Find the folder named with Skype and move to trash.
- Go to your Skype login screen and confirm that your account no longer appears on the login Interface.
TIP: This procedure is useful in keeping your account secure, mostly when you’re using organizational computers or shared computers. And the method deletes on the account details on the login screen only.
Why can’t I delete my Skype account?
How can I delete my Skype account without closing Microsoft account?
How do I delete my Skype account on Android?
What happens when you delete Skype account?
Deleting the account permanently removes any data that was associated with it, including your Skype contacts, purchases and chat history. Microsoft says that it might take up to 30 days for your name to disappear from the Skype directory after the account is closed.
Can you delete Skype conversations?
How do I delete all my Skype conversations?
How do I delete all my Skype messages?
- Step 1: Open the main Skype window, then click on Tools in the menu bar and select Options.
- Step 2: Click on IM & SMS in left-hand menu. In the area that loads, click Show Advanced Settings near the bottom right-hand corner.
- Step 3: Next to the “Keep history for” line, there is a button to Clear History, click this.