How to Deodorize Carpet
Deodorizers are specially made to deal with touch odor like constant smoking in the room or result of mold formation. Doing deodorization of carpet is a complicated process but you surely will get rid of this kind of touch smells. Deodorization of carpet in a regular manner helps to maintain the freshness and cleanness of your house using the deodorizing product.
- Deodorization using Baking Soda
Baking soda’s property is to absorb excess moisture and trap the unpleasant, tough smells and get rid of it. Baking soda usually neutralizes the tough odor or absorbs it.
- You should vacuum the carpet. You need to clean your carpet first as much as you possibly can. Vacuuming your carpet helps in to pick up any kind of big particles or dirt.
- Keep it clean until it is cleaned with baking soda, so do not walk on it before treating it with baking soda.
- You should use baking soda on to the carpet section by section at a time. And rub it into your carpet, not scrubbing.
- You need to leave the carpet with baking soda for a couple of hours or overnight to let it sit.
- You have to clean up the baking soda off to the carpet using a vacuum. You have to go to several sections of the carpet several times to make it happen.
- Baking Soda + Shampoo
This is used to deal with tougher smells. If your carpet is still having any kind of bad odor after its previous treatment with baking soda, you need to follow this method.
- You should think about shampooing your carpet instead of just vacuum the carpet. Shampooing your carpet helps baking soda penetrate better.
- It is better if you use a mixture of white vinegar and water with parts of 1:1.
- To apply baking soda, you should wash it first and let it completely dry.
- You should go for scenting the baking soda which will help you to cover up the smell as well. Like add drops of scent into a large bowl.
- A couple of scents are used to cover up the smell like lemon or lemongrass, lavender, Eucalyptus, cedar.
- Deodorizing with Vinegar
Vinegar acts as a natural deodorizing agent. Vinegar itself has a pretty hard smell. As you use it over your carpet, it will surely smell but as it dries out, it is completely odorless.
- Vinegar traps the unpleasant smells and it is happily used for household purposes as we use vinegar usually in case of old refrigerators and deodorizing the carpets.
- Vinegar has various kinds of variety but white vinegar is one of the best varieties. You should put some vinegar in a spray bottle.
- You should spray the white vinegar on to the carpet evenly and give it time to sink in and you will see the odor has been reduced.
- Once the vinegar is completely dried out, repeat the process again and again until odor is gone.
- Deodorizing with Vodka
Vodka eliminates microscopic organisms and it can be utilized as a natural stain remover. It is used to eliminate certain obstinate smells like pet urine.
- You should go for cheap vodka as it is an excellent option for deodorizing your carpets.
- You need to find out the spots on the carpet to clean and spray a bit of vodka on top of those spots.
- Keep it like that for about 10 to 15 minutes and uses paper towels to absorb extra moisture.
- You should vacuum clean your carpet when you are done with it and vodka.
- Onion Based Treatment
This treatment is used to remove smoke and mildew odors. It is basically used to treat the basement carpet.
- You need to put an onion to extract the odor from the carpet.
- As moisture surrounds the carpet, it has a dank odor.
- You should cut a piece of onion and put it on a plate and place it with carpet overnight to trap the wet smell.
- You can throughout the onion and can repeat the treatment every day and night until you are satisfied with the smell.
- Deodorizing using Enzyme Neutralize
Most of the smell is because of some chemicals which have spilled out on to the carpet. We can use enzyme neutralizers to neutralize the smell.
- The Market is full of products like Nature’s Miracle and various simple solutions are some of the examples which target pet odor in carpets.
- It is needed that you follow each and every step of uses of enzyme neutralizer with accuracy and precision.
- You should cover up all the affected spots of your carpet.
- Club Soda
This is also used mostly to remove pet odors from the carpet.
- You should go for a liter-sized bottle of club soda and carefully put it onto the carpet.
- You need to cover all the spots and utilize your bath towels or paper towels remove liquid from the carpet.
- You should try to open the windows so that the carpet can air dry.
- Keep repeating the process until you are sure that the odor is gone.
- Deodorizing with Borax
You can say that it is a natural carpet cleaner. It consists of phosphates and chlorine and is very affordable.
- You should remove some of the spill out the liquid which might cause odor later. Removing the liquid will resolve the chances of spreading.
- You need to spray the affected area with ice water to make the carpet damp.
- You should sprinkle the borax over the selected areas and put a wet piece of cloth over the borax.
- To press the cloth and to work the borax into the odor spot, you can use the spoon.
- You should continue this procedure until and unless you are sure that spilled liquid has nothing left to be removed.
- Natural Deodorizing Carpet Powder
It is used to boost up the clean smell of your house by spreading it all over your carpet. It is made up of natural ingredients.
- It contains borax, baking soda, and cinnamon or clove essential oils.
- You should mix the borax with baking soda in a glass along with few drops of essential oils.
- Sprinkle the mixture powder onto your carpets and leave it for next 15 to 20 minutes.
- Clean up the carpet using vacuum cleaner after a noticeable time.
- Baking Powder and Orange Juice
Baking powder and orange juice is one of those combinations that work cheap and faster than any of the above methods. Not only does it deodorize the carpet but it brings in a very pleasant smell which stays for a long period of time.
- All you need to do is first squeeze the required amount of oranges and store it’s liquid in a container and chill it in the freezer for an hour.
- Now first, spread the baking powder all over the carpet forming a little layer of it and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- Now after 20 minutes, spread the orange juice over the top of the layer of the baking powder and scrub the mixture with a mild brush.
- After scrubbing leave it for 15 minutes and rinse your carpet.
- You need to keep your room well-ventilated. As you keep your windows open to have good airflow in and out of your house. So that smells will never be trapped in your house.
- You should clean the carpet more often like every few weeks. And keep in mind that you have trashed, wiped surfaces with disinfectants and at least vacuum weekly.
- You should keep the baking soda on to your carpet for a little longer as the longer it is in contact with carpet the better baking soda removes the odors.
- You are advised to keep your pets away from the treating area with baking soda as baking soda is harmful if ingested by animals.
You should be aware of humidity, as it is considered the main factor for most of the mildew or mold smells. Thus, you should use dehumidifiers to create good surrounding.
How do you get bad smells out of carpets?
- Pour a generous amount of white vinegar into a spray bottle.
- Spray the white vinegar onto the carpet. Don’t worry – the smell will disappear (and it will actually absorb any other bad odors you’re trying to eliminate).
- Let it dry completely, and then repeat the process over again, as needed.
How can I deodorize my carpet naturally?
What is the best natural carpet deodorizer?
Since then, I’ve discovered that baking soda also becomes a great air freshener or carpet deodorizer when combined with some essential oils. Best of all, it’s all-natural (no nasty chemicals!) and you can change up the scents depending on your mood or the season.
What removes dog urine smell from carpet?
Why does my carpet still smell like dog pee after shampooing?
How can I make my house smell pet free?
- Keep it Clean. An effective way to keep odors at bay is to ensure that all of your pet’s supplies are cleaned regularly.
- Absorb, Don’t Cover Up.
- Embrace Baking Soda.
- Keep Your Filters Fresh.
- Maintain the Litter Box.
- Clean the Walls.
- Invest in an Air Purifier.
- Groom Your Pet.
What is the best thing to absorb odors?
Does Febreze get rid of dog smell?
Can I spray my dogs bed with Febreze?
Does Febreze get rid of urine smell?
Will Febreze get rid of pet urine smell?
For additional freshness, try using Febreze Fabric Pet Odor Eliminator once it’s completely dry. You can also use Febreze Air Heavy Duty Pet Odor Eliminator around the litter box area to dull that lingering cat pee odor.