Xbox 360 has become too old to be called the flagship from Microsoft anymore, yet there are many things that are quite natural about it.
It is there with people around the globe and they love it. But, to be able to plug it in and enjoy a game today, you will need the drivers and game discs, which may or may not be in a very good condition or available in new at your location. With an old Xbox disc with scratches, it may cause the disc to skip or not play at all.
Here is how to fix an old scratched Xbox 360 disc.
- Know What These Discs do
It is worthwhile to spend a few lines to explain to you guys how these laserdiscs work, so that that you don’t end up destroying them in the process of making them look new.
- Xbox reads the Xbox discs to gather data and runs it, using the laser light.
- Once a disc is scratched badly, the laser light gets refracted resulting in bad data read, skipping or even unreadable.
- There are ways to clean up a scratched disc so that the laser light can read it.
- But, this is always a chance, a risky thing to try.
- However, when you don’t have any other option, it is still worth giving a try.
- Rinse the Disc Properly
This process is the most commonly used one because you have everything you need right beside you. All you need is a little toothpaste, care, and patience.
- Rinse off the CD under running water to rid it of dirt, etc, you may use your fingers slightly. You must rinse both sides of the disc to eliminate grime which will cause further damage on the disc.
- You may use warm water, dip it for some time and then try to rinse it off.
- The labels may come off and that is okay.
- Check if there are physical breaks, which means, just let it go.
- Cleaning a scratched 360 disc won’t work if there are physical damages on the disc.
- Use a Microfiber Cloth to Dry it
Once you have rinsed it properly like above, dry it using a microfiber cloth. Remember the below steps when doing this.
- You softly touch the disc and start from the center.
- Gently use straight stroked from the center towards the edge.
- Avoid circular strokes along the radius of the disc to prevent more damage.
- Repeat the process at least 15 times. Once done, insert the Xbox 360 disc into the console and see if the strategy works. A seamless play means is successful.
- Apply the Right Kind of Toothpaste
The toothpaste works by sanding out the rough edges of the plastic after a scratch. This helps the laser to not get refracted and be able to read the data.
Make sure that the Xbox 360 disc is completely dry before doing this method. Use plain white toothpaste with baking soda in it, this composition is important
- Avoid these modern gel based and those with crystals for freshness, whitening, types of toothpaste. Cleaning or whitening crystals or beads can further the damage and scratches on the disc. They are dangerous to the disc.
- Apply a small amount directly to the area of the scratch – a pea size or bead size will do.
- Use a Cotton Swab for Sanding
In this process, you use a cotton swab to gently, lightly make a circular motion on the scratch, along the complete length of the scratch. It should go away. Then, repeat this for all the scratches.
- The cotton swab is your sandpaper.
- Use this to gently make a circular motion on the toothpaste over the scratch, rubbing softly.
- Do a small section, and move along the length of the scratch.
- Mind not to apply much force.
- You can see the scratch gradually disappearing and then you must stop.
- Remember to rinse it and dry it off afterward just like before.
- Use of Lip Balm or Chapstick
Another method involves using another daily household item, a lip balm. This must be use when you do not have the right kind of toothpaste as we spoke about earlier.
- A lip balm is not used to sand the scratches, but to fill them up.
- You have to first perform the rinsing and drying process as given above.
- Bring a plain lip balm that does not have any color, glitter, etc, just plain.
- Just run the lip balm stick on the scratch using an up and down motion.
- Use the Soft Cloth to Remove it
Once done properly, the next step is to remove the excess of the balm using a soft cloth. This is used to buff the balm in circular motions.
- Use a soft microfiber cloth to buff the balm in circular motions.
- Remove the excess of the balm.
- You should not be able to notice the scratches anymore or very faint.
- Try the disc now and see if it works.
- Now, a Magic Eraser
You all have heard of Mr. Clean’s Magic Eraser. You can find it in most major supermarkets because it is a cheap household item. You may even find other off-brands for a lot cheaper.
- Make sure this is a melamine foam eraser; write it down, “melamine”.
- Use the eraser to sand the scratches making strokes from center to outwards the edge.
- Use just straight lines.
- Apply slight force but not much too actually erase of the entire layer from the disc.
- Just sand away the scratches gently.
- Now, wash the disc under running water and dry it off with a clean soft cloth. Use the same straight lines from the center to the edges when drying.
- After polishing ad rinsing the disc, try playing it into your Xbox again. If it still does not work, you can try the eraser method once again.
- Now, Rinse it Again
You very well know the drill by now. You just make use of normal running water and rinse the disc well.
- Run the disc under the tap water, no more is required.
- When drying use a microfiber cloth and the same straight lines as before.
- Move in straight lines from the center towards the edge, not along the radius.
- Try the disc now and see if it works.
- Use a Disc Repair Tool
In most electronic stores you can buy this hardware that called disc repair tools. They are available in brands like SkipDr.
- Rinse the disc as before, and dry it.
- Follow the instructions of the tool you have purchased.
- Most of them have a spray liquid to be sprayed evenly on the road side.
- Then put the disc in the tool, check the instructions.
- A soft cloth to wipe it off later.
This is just supposed to be 10 DIY fixes for your scratched Xbox 360 disc, but here’s another method that you can try at home using a low energy light bulb.
- Buy a 60 watt light bulb to use for this approach. This works by heating the back of the Xbox disc to melt the plastic coating and fix minor scratches. Only use a low energy bulb and too much heat that can cause beyond repair damage to your disc.
- Do this by letting the bulb heat up for about 5 minutes, enough to emit heat that will melt the disc’s outer layer.
- Hold “read” side of the disc, 3 inches away from the lamp or enough that you can feel the heat from the lamp. Only grip around the edges and put a finger inside the ring for support and of course to avoid causing further damage on the disc.
- Rotate the disc back and forth and do this for about 20 times.
- Take the disc off the lamp and once done, insert the disc into your Xbox and see if it works.
- If this does not make any difference, then your Xbox 360 disc may need to be checked by a professional.
- The scratch will be nearly or completely gone with the toothpaste sanding, even if it doesn’t do not repeat or apply force.
- You may swap the lip balm with simple petroleum jelly like Vaseline too, anything that is plain.
Be sure to remove all the excess balm and dry it off.
Some scratches may not be too deep and can be remedied using any of these methods. But if you are unsure if you can do these at home, better look for a reliable disc repair service in your area.
How do you fix an unreadable Xbox 360 disc?
- Check your profile. Make sure that you’re using the same profile that you used to purchase the game.
- Clean your disc. Remove the disc you’re trying to run from your console.
- Transfer the game license to your console.
- Reinstall the game.
What is the best way to clean a scratched Xbox 360 disc?
How do you get rid of scratches on Xbox 360?
How do you fix a scratched game disc?
Does toothpaste actually fix scratches?
How do you fix a scratched ps4 disc?
How do you fix a disc that won’t read?
- Clean the disc using a soft lint-free cloth and a dab of warm water and mild detergent.
- Fill scratches with toothpaste.
- Soften scratches with heat from a 60W lightbulb.
- Fill the scratch with a wax-based product.
- Cover holes in the data layer with pen and tape.
Can scratched discs damage PS4?
How does Vaseline remove scratches from CDS?
How do you fix a deep scratch on a disc?
Can scratched CDs be fixed?
Does rubbing alcohol fix scratched CDs?
Can you clean a CD with hand sanitizer?
How do you clean a scratched CD with rubbing alcohol?
Can you use alcohol wipes to clean CDs?
Is isopropyl alcohol the same as rubbing alcohol?
Can you use Windex to clean CDs?
What’s the best thing to clean CDs with?
Ads by Google