If you have a big collection of Xbox discs and have not used them for a while, chances are that they may not work properly when you try to run them. Some might have got scratched during the years. Before you throw them away, here is a list of things you can try to get them going once again.
Stuck because Unused
It is possible that the disc is fine but the reader in your Xbox has got stuck because of years of stagnation. In this case, you can try a simple trick to make it work again. The reader inside the Xbox works by ejecting out a laser light and reading from the CD.
- Try turning off the power and remove the disc.
- Then, turn on the power.
- Now, try to open and close the CD tray about 20 to 30 times with a one-second break.
- This is to make it run because many times they get unstuck and it starts to read again.
- But, if this does not work, proceed to the below ways.
Polish the CD
It is often found that specs of dust or even layers of dust cover the CD on the reading side, not the label making it useless inside the tray.
- Get a brush, like a makeup brush.
- First, clean the inside of the CD tray in your Xbox.
- Then clean the read side and the complete CD with the brush.
- You can first just blow to remove the specs, and then use a soft brush.
Polish with a Microfiber
You can also use another way to polish the read side. With this method, you can also polish some fine scratches that might appear on it.
- Use something like the ones you use to clean your eye-glasses with or simply toilet paper.
- Dampen it a bit. You may even use a solution.
- Now, slowly clean or polish the shiny side of the CD.
- Do not use force, just slightly. If you are using toilet paper, do not let it break into pieces.
Rinse and Dry it Now Properly
Often with any kind of polishing or even simple rinsing, the CD can be cleaned properly. Often, this helps it get rid of oil deposits too.
- So, after you have polished it, just rinse it under running water.
- You can even directly rinse it under running tap water, save the label side which is not needed.
- Then, you have to dry it properly.
- Use another micro-fiber or lint-free cloth to dry it. Note that even dry toilet paper is abrasive to the CD, so avoid it.
Soap and Water
This is the rinsing method that will help remove the dirt and oil at the same time. Further, you can also use a microfiber cloth to slightly polish the places that have scratches, gently.
- First, prepare a wet piece of cloth with the soap solution.
- Now, move your cloth from the center towards the edge, in straight lines, not circles. Make the move from the middle towards outside.
- Rinse it under running water now.
- Use a cloth to dry it.
- If you want to polish the areas near the scratches, use the cloth when wet (or soapy) and just scrub gently on the scratches.
- Avoid any circular motions or too much movement in other areas near the scratch. You can even use the tip of a cotton swab for precision.
CD cleaning kits are wonderful.
Can you repair a scratched Xbox game?
How do you fix an unreadable Xbox 360 disc?
- Check your profile. Make sure that you’re using the same profile that you used to purchase the game.
- Clean your disc. Remove the disc you’re trying to run from your console.
- Transfer the game license to your console.
- Reinstall the game.