Anyone who hears the word ‘long-distance’ tends to cringe and say that it is not going to work out.
As a matter of fact, many people look down at long distanceThis is mainly due to the fact that no one would like to get a heartEven though a long-distance relationship isn’t an easy deal, it is surely not impossibleHere are some awesome tips that will help you to make the long-distance relationship work.
- Take it as an Opportunity
If you have to live together, you have to learn to live apart from each other. Hence, you should consider the long distance as an opportunity handed on to you on a platter.
- You can take it a learning curve for you, as well as your partner.
- The long distance is going to serve as the test of your love. If your love is true, you shouldn’t be afraid of the distance.
- Rather than feeling that the distance is killing your relationship, you should take it as a chance to strengthen your relationship.
No doubt, it is better to be far away and feel really close than stay close and feel far away.
- Manage Your Expectations
When it comes to a long-distance relationship, you have to know what to expect and what to not.
- Make sure that your partner knows about the important things that have been happening in your life even if he is far away from you.
- Tell your partner how it is affecting you when you are physically apart from each other. For this, you have to acknowledge that you are apart from each other and then talk about it.
- Tell your partners what you expect during this time. Make sure that you have some ground rules set so that any of you don’t do something which is going to take the other by surprise.
- Communicate Regularly
Communication is the key to any relationship. It becomes more important when it is a long distance one.
- Greet your partner Good Morning and Good Night. Try and update him/her about your life and what has been going on. Do this even if it is mundane.
- Send audio clips, pictures, or even videos from time to time. When you put this kind of effort, it is going to make your partner feel attended to and loved.
- Avoid Communicating Excessively
It is not good to be possessive and sticky.
- There is no need to communicate for most of the parts of the day in order to maintain your relationship.
- Doing more doesn’t really compensate for the relationship. In fact, it can really make things worse.
- Less is more. So, it isn’t about spamming as you will just exhaust yourself. It is a necessary tease at an adequate moment and at an adequate spot.
- Try to be chill and don’t become obsessive.
Keep in mind that there is nothing much worse than being smothered by the other in a relationship. Chatting excessively can turn off your partner on a long term basis.
- Avoid Any Kind of Dangerous Situations
In a long distance relationship, it is necessary to maintain the trust that you share with each other.
- For instance, if you are going out with a group of friends to drink at late night and know that your partner is not going to agree to this, then you have to tell your partner a prior hand. This will help in reassuring him or her.
- Avoid being careless when it comes to matters like this. This is because it will only make matters extra suspicious or extra worried. Also, it can be very upsetting as you are putting him or her, is such a position where he or she is going to feel completely powerless.
- You have to recognize the danger before you step into any kind of situation.
Keep in mind that sometimes, it is necessary to listen to your mind and not just your heart.
- Set a Timeline
There will come a point in your relationship when you are going to ask yourself, why are actually doing this? The struggle and the pain might feel pointless after a certain time, particularly if you aren’t aware of the end goal.
- Sit down with your partner and talk about it. Make sure that you have an expected timeline. This way you will have an idea as to how long this long distance is going to work.
- Talk about whether you both will be able to wait for that long.
Having things clear will help you with your relationship.
- Be Honest to Each Other
Being honest with each other is the primary aspect of a relationship.
- Talk about your feelings of jealousy, fear, and insecurity. When you start to hide things from your partner, the secret is going to eat you up from inside.
- You shouldn’t try to deal with everything all by yourself. Make sure that you are honest to him or her. This will offer you partner with the support that he or she requires.
You have to take care of the problem at an initial stage than disclosing it when it is already too late.
- Learn about Each Other’s Schedules
It is necessary to know about the schedule of your partner and he or she should also know about the same.
- Ask him or her when they are going to be busy. This way you will be able to call or drop a text at the right time. Obviously, you won’t prefer disturbing him when he is a class or in a meeting.
- Get to know about the big and small events which are happening or what is going to happen like an important business trip or college examinations.
This is important when both of you are from different time zones.
- Avoid Wasting Time When You are Together
At times, you will see each other physically, during such times, you shouldn’t waste time.
- It is not necessary to go on a romantic dinner or a pub to dance, all you have to do is spend some quality time with each other.
- Be with each other. Cuddle and kiss. Talk deeply and is important to maintain a healthy relationship.
One of the benefits of staying apart is that you talk and learn about each other. As a matter of fact, if you have better conversations than spending time sitting together and watching TV.
- Make Visits
Visiting is an important aspect of a long-distance relationship.
- Plan to visit each other. This will bring in some excitement in the relationship.
- Hold hands and spend some loving time together.
- It is going to be glitter bombs and butterflies in your stomach.
- Do Similar Stuff
Indulge in stuff together.
- Watch the same TV shows or read similar books.
- Share the music that you like with your partner. This way you will have common things to talk about.
- It is always better to have shared experience even if you are living apart from each other.
- Talk Dirty with Your Partner
Sexual tension can be one of the most crucial things in between couples. Sexual desire serves as a glue which keeps both of you from drifting apart. You need to keep in mind that this is a biological need.
- Send teasing texts to each other to keep the flames burning.
- Text provocative description. Sexy puns can work really well.
- Doing this will have a positive effect on your emotion.
- Gift Personal Things for Your Partner to Hold on to
Keep in mind that there is a significant power in memento.
- Share a keychain, ring, a bottle of fragrance, or a collection of videos or songs. Whether you realize it or not, you tend to attach meaning to little items in your life. People tend to store memories in physical things with the hope that it is going to remind you of something when the mind fails.
- Share something simple but meaningful. Other people might not be able to see the value it in or your partner sure will.
- Keep a Good Messaging App
It is important to have a good app to message each other. Messaging is a common method of communication. You should have a good app that is going to convey your emotions beyond words and interactions.
- Install something that has some fun stickers and is free for use.
- Keep an app that will be updated with new features from time to time.
- It has to be easy to learn and use.
- Set Up a Video Call Date Night
This might seem a bit strange but it will enable you to set up a specific night every week where you are going to have an actual date.
- Dress up nicely, light up candles, and get rid of distraction for some time. This should be just as if you are going on a physical date.
- Make romantic conversation and make each other feel at home.
This will give you the feeling that you are spending time close to each other.
- Keep a Track on Each Other’s Social Media Profiles
Keeping a check on each other’s social media account means you will enjoy high engagement.
- Lookout for the updates of your partner and what he or she is uploading on social media.
- Comment and like on their posts. You should let them know that you are keeping tabs and that you are around.
- You should be cool about stalking each other.
- Keep Your Partner Updated about Your Family
Your partner should know about what is going on in your family.
- If there is a gossip doing round the family, you should tell your partner about it.
- Be up and about it. This will make you feel that you each other’s family.
- Be Positive
Being in a long distance relationship might make you feel despondent and lonely.
- You might feel that you are just a ladder standing on one leg and there is no one who would help you to balance it. However, the reality is you will have to hold out.
- Keep smiling and stay positive. Believe me, in the end, it is going to be worth it.
- Have some faith in yourself and it is going to work out just fine.
Being apart might be difficult but you need to have faith.
- Be Confident about the Relationship
If you are insecure, you can make excessive messages and calls and this can lead to unnecessary tension. The communication between you will not be engaging or fun.
- You have to be confident about your relationship and your partner.
- Do not be tensed, unnecessarily.
- Make Future Plans
A relationship is not going to survive if you are in a long-distance relationship all your life. You will have to think about living in the same city and that too at the same place.
- You have to make plans as to how you can make things happen. Have some goals. It is going to provide you with the peace of mind that your relationship has a future.
- Make a plan in a perfect manner for getting rid of uncertainty.
- Solve Problems
Arguments and miscommunication are sure to happen in any long-distance relationship. You have to work your way through miscommunication and tension.
- You need to be honest about how you feel about a certain thing.
- Speak to your partner directly without playing any kind of games.
You do not have to censor yourself or keep yourself from speaking anything. After all, they are your partner.
- Listen Carefully
It might be an obvious factor but many people might try to neglect it, you should listen to your long distance partner when he or she is talking.
- Communication has to be strong. If you just care about yourself then the communication, as well as the relationship is going to suffer.
- Listening is just about being silent. Make sure that you listen actively, ask some follow-up question, and offer solutions if required.
- This way it will make your partner feel that you involved in each other’s life. As a matter of fact, this will also help in strengthening your relationship and making it better.
- The long-distance relationship will work the way you will make them work.
- If you are able to spend time together, it is not going to as miserable as you consider it to be. You will simply have to work at it.
Keep in mind that texting might not always be the best way to communicate. If your relationship is in a dilemma and you are trying to work it out through a text then it is not going to work.