Spotify is available on almost all devices: desktop computers, smartphones, tablets, ipads, and even on TV.
However, the older versions of Apple TV do not come with the Spotify appWhile this feature is available in newer Apple TVs, you can always do something to get the app on your old Apple TV; 1st to 3rd generation.
If you want to enjoy the best music streaming service on your AppleTV like Spotify, instead of iTunes, it is best to use the following guide. Because there is no native Spotify app for tvOS, you cannot directly play your music from Spotify. This can be do it with some hacks and that we shall show here.
One fastest and straightforward way is to use AirPlay to stream the Spotify to your TV. This technology from Apple is proprietary and it allows beaming audio and video content onto Apple TV from any device you have like iPad or iPhone.
- First Install Spotify on an iDevice
Before you can do anything related to Apple TV, you need to have an iDevice with you. Whether it is your iPad, iMac, Mac or iPhone, you can download the respective app from Spotify and install it on your device. This is a must because otherwise, you cannot use the AirPlay that we are going to use here to beam your music straight to your Apple TV. The reason users want to do this is to get high-quality content that is not available on iPhone. You can even install it on iPod touch and verify that your iOS device and Apple TV are on the same Wi-Fi network. So basically, here you do the following:
- Have an iDevice or iOS device.
- Install Spotify on it, have your sign up and Spotify account ready.
- Attach the iOS device and Apple TV on the same Wi-Fi network in your home.
- Have your Bluetooth turned on.
If any of the above fails, especially the same wireless network, then you cannot do that. Though Apple overhauled AirPlay in iOS 9 and tvOS the Bluetooth is also used to keep the connection stronger and lossless as much as possible.
- Enable AirPlay on Your App
On a recent version of your Mac, you can use the desktop app. The desktop app of Spotify on Mac gives better connectivity and compatibility with other iOS devices. You can enable the AirPlay on this. First, go to “System Preferences”. Do this on your Mac. Now, go to “Sound” and then to “Output”. Once here you can find the option to select “AirPlay”. This is simple and just a few clicks. On the Mac or iPhone, you have to go to AirPlay and turn it on too. When you turn it on, this will scan everything that supports AirPlay, and your Apple TV is listed. Here you need to select your TV. So, basically, you do two things here.
- Enable AirPlay and select your Apple TV on the network.
- Go to Sound Settings and allow playback output device as AirPlay.
- Play and Enjoy
Once you have connected them, you can beam the music. Play it on your iOS device. It will be beamed to your Apple TV. The screen will not be shared; just you can use the TV speakers to listen to the song. After a while, you can also see that the track information and album cover has appeared on your Apple TV.
Spotify on your 1st-3rd Generation Apple TV
- First, make sure that Airplay is enabled on your TV by going through the Settings menu. Simply select Airplay, and then go to settings. Also, make sure that your Apple TV is connected to the same WIFI network the same with your iOS phone, tablet, or Mac. You can have this step verified by going through Apple TV’s Settings menu and then select Network. From there, you can view the network where the TV is connected to.
- From your MAC device, tap the Airplay icon from your MAC’s menu bar and then select your Apple device. Your computer screen will be then mirrored on your Apple TV. Head on to Spotify, then select the song you would like to play.
- If you are using the recent version on your MAC device, go to “System Preferences” then “Sound” and then tap “Output”. Then, select Airplay to scan for a device that supports Airplay. Once the list is displayed, select your Apple TV. Do not forget to go to “Settings” to enable playback output device as Airplay.
- From your iPad or iPhone, just open the Spotify app and play your favorite song. Select the “Devices Available” option then “More Option” and tap your Apple TV. Your selected song will then be played on your Apple TV.
- Track information like title, artist, and album cover will also be displayed on your Apple TV.
Another approach that you can try to enjoy the music streaming app Spotify on your Apple TV
- If you are using a newer version of Apple TV, go to the TV app store, search “Spotify” through the search box and download the app.
- Once the app is successfully downloaded and installed, login with Spotify connect or create if you do not have an account yet. Spotify connect is the easiest option if you prefer to login using your Facebook account. You can also login using your registered email address and password. The third login option is with a PIN. Select “LOGIN WITH PIN” and then from your iPhone or computer, go to spotify.com/pair and then enter the PIN displayed on your screen.
Update your Apple devices
Make sure that your Apple devices are using the updated software. This goes the same with your Spotify application to avoid getting errors or having trouble when accessing the music streaming app from your iPhone, iPad, or MAC computer.
If you are not sure if your device software is up-to-date, go to “Settings” and then select “General” and then “About”. Your version installed on your iPhone or iPad will be displayed on the screen. But if you are not sure what to do, you can always get in touch with Apple for device support.