If you want strong, beautiful and healthy nails, there are several things you can do to on a daily basis. The healthier your nails are, the better they will look. Both men and women should take care of their nails for a number of reasons. In this article you will learn how to keep your fingernails and toenails healthy and looking great.
- Avoid Water Exposure When Possible
Exposing your nails to water too frequently can soften them over time, which in turn will make them look weak and unattractive. One of the best ways to protect your nails from water is to wear a pair of rubber gloves when you wash the dishes each day. You should also consider limiting the amount of time you spend in pools and hot tubs. Over exposure to warm water can be especially damaging to your nails.
- Learn How to Properly File Your Nails
The way you file your nails can make a big difference when it comes to how they look and feel.
- Take the time to find the right nail file. Choose one with a high grit number so that your nails don’t get tore up easily.
- Keeping your nails short will help prevent damage that can have a hugely negative impact on the way your nails look.
- File your nails from the side to the center. You can choose to do it a different way, but remember to stick with just one direction.
- Stop Biting Your Nails
If you have a tendency to bite your nails, it is important that you stop right away. This seemingly harmless little habit can do quite a bit of damage to your nails. You will inevitably develop hang nails, which can be quite painful. Those who do this when nervous can squeeze a stress ball or snap a rubber band on their wrist instead.
- Don’t Wear Any Acrylics
Acrylic and gel nails can do a lot of damage, so make sure that you stay away from them altogether. As pretty as they may look, they are simply more trouble than they are worth. If you must wear these nails, you should take breaks in between manicures.
- Take Vitamin Supplements
There are certain vitamin supplements that can help you grow nails that are very healthy and strong. Vitamins B12, B9, A, and C are all worth taking because of their ability to strengthen and improve the overall quality of your nails. Biotin is something else that you should consider taking. It is related to vitamin B and can help with growing nails much faster than normal.
- It’s always a good idea to get professional manicures and pedicures once in a while. Make sure that you choose a place that does good work.
Carry a nail file with you wherever you go. It can really come in handle if you break one of your nails suddenly. This is a much better option than simply biting or ripping it off.