When was the last time you had kielbasa on your plate? You must agree with us that kielbasa is quite delicious when cooked right. If you are new to this delicacy, a couple of questions might be troubling you—one question being how to cook kielbasa from the comfort of your home. You should not be worried because cooking kielbasa is easy and straight forward. However, it is good to appreciate the fact that cooking fresh kielbasa is an art.
Kielbasa might resemble the typical breakfast sausages, but from its preparation, we can confirm it’s quite different from other sausages. Hence every step we list here is essential. We have prepared a step by step approach to help you cook fresh kielbasa and ensure you get it right.
How to Cook Fresh Kielbasa by boiling
- Prepare Your Kielbasa
It would help if you understood what it means to have a fresh kielbasa. There is a difference between smoked and fresh kielbasa. A good number of people are well versed with smoked kielbasa, and it is not a surprise finding yourself among this clique of people. But unlike the smoked kielbasa, fresh kielbasa, also referred to as white sausage or kielbasa, is uncooked. So where do you get fresh kielbasa one might ask.
- Purchase From a Nearest Supermarket or Grocery Store
Well, you can get fresh kielbasa in supermarkets and Walmart. Just head to the meat section and make a purchase. The sausages look white with a sausage casing. Even though it is rare to find a fresh kielbasa that has gone bad, it is always recommended that you check the expiration date. You don’t want to regret going to the house only to find that your fresh kielbasa is only attracting flies.
- Make your fresh kielbasa
You have the option of making your kielbasa. This saves you time wasted from running from one grocery store to another, looking out for a fresh kielbasa. You only need to have a few items that help make this process a success. Here are the materials you should have before you kick start the process;
- hog casing,
- four pounds of well-marbled hog meat
- black pepper
- Plus any other spice that Works well for you
- Sausage stuffer
Here is the way to make your fresh kielbasa;
- The first thing that initiates this process is grinding the meat.
- Once you have grinded your meat.
- Mix it with your favourite spices. You have full discretion to include all the spices that you like as long as you don’t end up messing up the delicacy. We recommend that you use all those spices you are sure of. It is not a sin to make your kielbasa as much unique as possible.
- As carry out the process of spicing the raw meat, you must note that spicing raw meat is that not easy as you might anticipate. Therefore, you must devise a hack to ensure you do it right. Since we want to ensure you like the end product, ensure you divide the grinded meat into small proportions. This makes your spicing process more straightforward and efficient.
- The decision to add more spices squarely depends on you. However, before you stuff the grinded meat into the sausage casings, you can go ahead and give it a test to approve the spicing content. To do so, fry up a small proportion of the spiced meat and give it a taste test. This gives you a chance to know whether to add more spices or not. At least this guarantees you that your sausage mixture is right before you commit large supplies to the sausage casings.
- If you are delighted with the taste of the sausage mixture, tie a knot in one end of the sausage casing. Connect the other end to the nozzle of the sausage stuffer and go ahead and fill the case.
Tip: There is a likelihood that you won’t cook your fresh kielbasa immediately after you prepare it. As such, your biggest concern could be how to keep it fresh until you cook it. There is no problem with that; handle it the way you would with a sausage. We recommend that you keep it in the coldest part of your refrigerator. However, it should not go past four days. If you choose to cook it after two days, you can freeze it. Remember, your kielbasa is just like other meat and would spoil if kept for long.
Boil Your Kielbasa
The first method and possibly the best way to cook kielbasa is boiling it. You find the process and straightforward if you keenly follow through.
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Add a few spices to the water. These spices work best in restoring the flavour lost during boiling. As you do this, it is essential to keep in mind that you are dealing with raw meat. This means it is only ready to eat after it is fully cooked.
- Place the sausage on the boiling water and ensure that it is fully cooked.
Tip: Allow the sausage to thaw if you remove it from the freeze, after which you can go ahead and boil it.
- Ensure that the temperature of the boiling water does not exceed 190 degrees Fahrenheit. If this does not hold, your sausages might end up bursting. Even after the kielbasa is cooked, it still retain the white colour. It is up to you to show your creativity to change the colour of your sausage. There are numerous ways to do that smoking, pan-frying, and placing it in the broiler of your oven for a few minutes.
How to Cook Fresh Kielbasa in an Oven
Other than boiling the fresh kielbasa through boiling, you can as well do it using your oven. Here are the steps to follow;
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add flavours, and place the sausage in the water. Ensure it is fully immersed in the boiling water. Unlike the method we have described above, you only need to simmer the sausage for 15 minutes. The rest of the process happens in the oven.
- Transfer the partially cooked kielbasa to the baking sheets.
- Pour a few drops of oil on the sausages.
- Prick the tops of the sausage casings.
- Roast your sausages for twenty minutes until you see some change in terms of colour (Brown). At this point, do not get surprised after you see members of your family visiting the kitchen. It is the aroma of your delicacy attracting them.
How to Cook Kielbasa on a Grill
This is another method that you can choose to cook your fresh kielbasa.
- Fire up the grill and get the charcoal to a point where there is even a temperature of about 300 to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the rounds of sausage on the grill. At this point, you don’t have to prick them.
- Once one side is done, flip over to the other side. The kielbasa should be ready once you realize they have changed colour.
Serve your kielbasa
After you are done cooking your kielbasa, you can serve the way you want. Try out to be creative.
Ads by Google