Visualize a situation where your tiny toddler has scrubbed some colored crayons on the wooden cabinet in your living room. And you have a very limited limit to clean it up before your guests arrive for supper. There is no need to panic as solutions are easily available to tidy it up.
What are Crayons?
Crayons are an American invention of the early 20th century. Made primarily from wax they are colored sticks. In addition, they can be made using charcoal and chalk. Children use them commonly to draw and write. Paraffin wax is melted and mixed with a solution of color to make them. A powder and certain chemicals are added to the melted wax to act as a binder. The wax is then pushed into stick casts in cold water to harden it further. Finally, the casting machine pushes out the crayons for final packaging. To have a glimpse into the manufacturing process, refer to this YouTube video.
- Crayons are colored sticks.
- Used for drawing and writing by children.
- Paraffin wax is the main ingredient in a crayon.
- In addition, crayons can also be made using charcoal and chalk.
What Damage can Crayon do to Wood?
Wood being porous, it is vulnerable to crayon wax seeping into. In other words, if a crayon makes its way into your wooden furniture, it will make it look untidy. In addition, the original beauty of the wood will need restoration. One of the most common causes of wood getting discolored or looking untidy is a young kid trying his artistic hands-on wooden furniture with the help of crayons. But don’t lose heart. This does not mean you need to replace it. There are ways to restore it.
- Wood is porous.
- Therefore, wax can easily seep into it.
- If crayon wax makes its way into the wood pores, the wooden furniture can look very untidy.
- Colored crayon discolors the original wood.
- There are ways to clean wax off the wood and restore it.
How to Get Crayon off Wood?
There are a few ways to remove the wax from wood and restore it to its original beauty and color. In other words, if by any chance wax has seeped into the pores of your dining table or if your child has scribbled something on the cabinet with a colored crayon, there is no need to lose temper on him or her. What you need to do is clean it patiently. That is of course if you know the right materials to use for this purpose. For instance, hot water, baking soda, and vinegar are easy home remedies for it.
1. Scrape the Crayon
Scrape the crayon off the wood with the help of a flat object. For instance, you can use a visiting card or a gift card for this purpose. All you need to do is to use the sharp sides to scrape the crayon.
2. Warm Water
After scraping the affected area rub the affected part of the wooden furnishing with a cloth dipped in warm water. In addition, apply some baking soda on it. Most importantly, motion the cloth in a circle so as not to spread the colors of the crayons.
3. Use a Hairdryer
Finally, below the hairdryer over the pores in which the crayon has lodges itself. The heat of the blown air will melt the wax. Next, gradually apply a scraper again to take the wax out. Finally, repeat rubbing the entire area with the cloth dipped in warm water. For more details watch the following video.
To summarize the process of cleaning the crayon stains off the wooden furnishing:
- Use a scraper.
- Rub the area with a cloth dipped in warm water.
- Apply some baking soda.
- Blow hot with a hairdryer.
- Scrape and rub the affected area again.
Ways to Get Crayon off Laminate Wooden Floor
The good part about laminated wood is that it does not give the crayon wax an opportunity to go inside pores. In other words, since the laminate seals the wood surface there are no pores for the wax to make its way through. The best way to remove crayon stains from such wooden flooring is to apply some alcohol over the affected area. In other words, pour some alcohol over a dry cloth and gently rub it in a circular motion. The alcohol because of its chemical potency will work wonders, removing the stains.
- Apply some alcohol on a piece of cloth.
- Rub the cloth with the alcohol over the affected area in a circular motion.
- Repeat the process till stain removes completely.
Finally, Some Tips on how to get Crayons off Wood
- Wipe the wooden furnishing with a soft cloth.
- Blow-dry the crayon from the grooves of the wood.
- Scrape the wax gently off the wood.
- Finally, most importantly, do not panic. Have patience.