Have you ever been repulsed by a sticky feeling on your trouser? What if you took out your favorite shirt and ironed it only to discover that some gum-like substance stuck on it. There go all your plans out of the window to impress your friends with the best shirt in your wardrobe.
What will Happen if There is Gum in the Dryer?
There are occasions when every one of us suffers from a momentary lapse of memory. In other words, in our rush to do away with stuff or because we were preoccupied with thoughts we have ruined some basic chore. After all, haven’t we all messed up on one or more occasions by throwing our trouser into the dryer with a chewing gum inside one of the pockets? In addition, there surely must have been a time when your child has returned from school and dropped his soiled shirt into the dryer with a half-chewed gum inside the top pocket.
- Even if you have not experienced any of the above instances, you must be prepared for a situation when your dryer has been threatened by gum. Gum not only exposes the clothes to a sticky substance but also leaves a mess on the walls of the dryer drums.
- Therefore, it has a two-fold problem. If the gum is left inside a dryer apart from ruining the wash of the particular cloth it sticks on, it also exposes other clothes to getting spoiled with a sticky substance spreading on it.
- Finally, even the dryer is vulnerable to damage. Leaving it on the drum can over a period of time affect its function.
- Gum inside a dryer can be a result of a cloth with gum in it mistakenly put in the dryer. Gum spoils clothes if it sticks on them. In addition, if the gum sticks on the wall of the dryer it exposes it to damage.
How do I Remove Gum from Inside My Dryer?
If you discover gum stuck on the walls of your dryer, don’t fret. In other words, there is no need to panic as this does not require you to replace the unit if an immediate remedy is applied. For instance, you can use some household items for this purpose. Some of them are used for daily chores, while others are stored for emergencies.
● Cooking Oil
One of the most commonly used substances for removing gum stuck in a dryer is cooking oil. All that you need to do is pour some oil into a bottle, spray it over the gum and the surrounding area. Next, wipe off the gum with a piece of cloth. In addition, you can use a piece of cloth instead of a bottle for this purpose. The oil acts as a lubricant and helps remove the sticky gum in no time. Repeat the process a couple of times, just to ensure no residue of the gum is left on the drums of the dryer. Use a cloth or a sharp object like a blade to scrape the residue. Do this delicately and with precision, or else it will leave some marks on the drum.
● Ice Cubes
Another method to remove gum stuck inside your dryer is to use ice cubes. Take out a couple of them from the freezer of your refrigerator. Next, pour them inside a zip lock bag or hold them with a handkerchief. You need to keep rubbing the ice cubes over the gum till it hardens. Finally, scrape the gum with the help of a knife or a blade. Finally, remove any gum residue on the surface with the help of vinegar. Don’t forget to remove the vinegar stains in case there are any.
● Hair Dryer
Another easy and convenient way to remove gum from the walls of a dryer is to use a hairdryer. The hairdryer will blow hot air into the gum and soften it. In other words, blowing hot air warms the gum and makes it soft. Once it has become soft, use a knife to scrape it off from the walls of the dryer. Since the gum is soft, scraping it from the bottom with precision will remove the entire gum without leaving a trace. Finally, wipe the area with a dry cloth.
● Detergent Powder
The detergent powder used in the laundry is also a popular and convenient way to remove the gum stuck on the drum wall of the dryer. This requires you to make a paste with a mixture of water and detergent. The proportion of the water and powder that should be mixed depends upon the surface area that needs cleaning. In addition, this will also depend on the quality of the detergent powder. For instance, there are some powders that easily dissolve and result in a very thin paste. Remember you have to make a thick paste to make this method work. Next, pour the paste on to a cloth. Finally, apply the paste over the gum and its surrounding area. Once it becomes soft, it will automatically come out. Once done, clean the affected area with a dry cloth.
● Chemical Compounds
Apart from home remedies, there are some commercial products that are also available for this purpose. You can buy them off the shelf from the neighboring grocery store. For instance, there are some chemicals manufactured especially for the purpose of gum cleaning. In addition, the compounds used for cleaning glassware can also be utilized. The chemical compounds act as a lubricant. Once you apply over the gum or the area around it softens it making it easy to pluck it out with a piece of cloth. Rubbing the area with a soft cloth will remove any residue and also leave no stain or scratch on the drum.
Can a Dryer be Cleaned with the Help of Goo Gone?
Goo Gone – a commercial product used for cleaning metal or glass products. In addition, it also cleans tiles, wood, and fiberglass objects. Made from oil extract it has to be mixed with water before application over the surface that needs to be cleaned. In other words, the primary base of Goo Gone is oil. Any form of gum that has made its way to the drums of a dryer can be removed using Goo Gone.
- Goo Gone is a commercial product used for cleaning.
- Made from oil extract.
- This oil mixed base compound can clean metal and glass objects.
- Very effective on wood, tiles, and fiberglass.
- Goo Gone is especially useful for removing stains, sticky gums, paint, and oil stains.
Different Elements Used to Remove Gum from the Dryer?
You can safely remove gum and its residue lodged inside a dryer by using a variety of elements. As mentioned earlier apart from the commercial chemical compounds, some products that are readily available at home can be used for this purpose. The list is long. But it will suffice to mention the most commonly available items. For instance, you can use cooking oil, washing detergent, ice cubes, or a hairdryer to extricate the gum lodged on the walls of the dryer. Helped with a clean dry cloth, they remove the gum residue and leave no strain trace of any scratch or stain on the drum.
- You can use commercial chemical compounds for this purpose.
- You can use a hairdryer, cooking oil, washing detergent, and ice cubes. To conveniently remove gum stuck inside a dryer.
Finally, Some Tips to Remove Gum from Inside a Dryer
- Apply the material you are using very gently and softly.
- Keep a dry, clean cloth ready for rubbing the area clean.
- Make sure you act with precision, or else you may end up leaving stains and scratches.
- Finally, use any material that either hardens or softens the gum.