An architectural shingle is basically an instrument for waterproofing. The manufacturers use asphalt to manufacture these architectural shingles. These are actually inexpensive waterproofing covers and easy to install. There are two types of architectural shingles made of organic materials and fiberglass. This is why people love the solution best.
How to Stagger Architectural Shingles?
Waterproofing is a big problem in countries where you get rainfall almost throughout the year. Countries like America get a huge snowfall in the winter and they sometimes stay on the roofs of the houses as well. These snows cause damage to the roofs and spillage of water inside the rooms. Thus you need to do waterproofing on your rooftop so that you can protect your roof and your furniture from the spilling water. An architectural shingle will definitely help you in this purpose and you will not have to worry about your roof for a longer period of time.
- The term architectural shingle means designer shingles with three-dimensional designs. This will help you to give your roof a good look after all. The main trick you can follow to stagger the architectural shingles is to stagger the seams of the shingles in between the courses.
- After you stagger the first series of shingles you need to continue the course through the roof. You need to lay the first row of the shingles with full shingles. Then it is better to nail the four corners of the shingles on the roof so that they don’t get out due to the blow of strong wind or due to any other natural energy.
- Now lay the other rows as per the place you get there. You can also use some roofing sealant to hold the shingles strongly on the starter strip and also to the other strips.
- Before you lay down the second strip, you need to cut a shingle into two halves. You can also cut some portion of the shingle and put it in such a way that the full shingles can lie down in between two shingles in the first row.
How to Install Architectural Shingles in a Valley?
If you are going to install the architectural shingles on a closed-cut valley, then, first of all, you need to consider the structural difficulties that the roof contains. You need to lay the first row of shingles down on the valley.
- These shingles should be of full size. There is no need to cut them at all to lay on the first row. Now to lay the second row down on the roof, you have to put them in such a manner that they will leap over the first row of shingles that you laid down on the valley.
- You have to cut the singles of the second row such that they will make a clean line to the center of the valley. You can mark the line with any marker or chalk to get the guideline to set them.
How to Install Architectural Shingles Ridge Cap?
A ridge cap is the junction of the two sides of the roof of a house containing valleys. It lies on the top of the roof. The best way to use the shingles is to check the carrying capacity of the roof so that it doesn’t break down due to its weight.
- You can use the shingles in coordination with the base of a heavy fiberglass mat, water-resistant asphalt that is heavily resistant, or the ceramic-coated mineral granules.
- Some of the roofing experts like to fabricate the shingles before they put them on the ridge caps. These architectural shingles are very comfortable to tolerate any kind of natural forces like the sun, dust, strong wind as well as rain.
How to Install Owens Corning Architectural Shingles?
Before you install the owner’s corning architectural shingles, you need to get the fabric to cover the joints of the shingles. They are so strong that you will not be able to tear them up with your hands. They are having a painted sure nail technology that helps you to nail your shingles with them so that they can stick hard to the base of your rooftop.
How to Install Architectural Shingles on a Hip Roof?
A hip roof contains two parts which basically creates two roof sides tilted toward the opposite sides. To install architectural shingles, you need to go through the following steps.
- First of all, you need to lay some damp proof on the hip roof so that your roof can get the protection from the rainwater and the snow damp as well.
- Now put a winter guard on it throughout the hip roof. The center of the waterproofing should be the center of the hip roof.
- Mark the line so that you can easily put the shingles vertically on the roof. Now use starter strips so that you can hold the shingles properly on the roof.
- You need to give proper shape to the shingles while you install them on the sides and the diagonal sections. This needs a proper cut of the shingles by a professional.
How to Install Architectural Shingles over 3-Tab Shingles?
You can be installing architectural shingles over a 3-tab shingle means reroofing of the shade over your head. First of all, you have to install a weather coating on the rooftop so that no spillage can enter into it.
- It is better to spread a water protector on the weather coating so that no water can weigh the weather protector and damage it.
- Now you can install the shingles on them and nail them properly so that they don’t slide out of their place.
- There will be the overlapping spread of the shingles on the corners of the roof and that will help you to get better protection from the natural energies.
Are Architectural Shingles Easy to Install?
There are no difficulties in installing the shingles. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that there should be a weather cover under them before you spread the shingles. After you spread the shingles on the roof, you just need to nail them properly so that they stick to their place permanently.
Where do You Nail Architectural Shingles?
Nailing the shingles is necessary to fix them properly on the rooftop. Thus you have to use such nails that can get in so deep that it can hold the shingles permanently.
- Nails of 11 or 12 gauge are bet to set the shingles. The head of the nails should be 3/8” to hit by the hammer to get into the rooftop boards.
- The experts recommend four nails for each shingle and you have to place them at a prescribed distance from the butt edge.
- You have to put a temperature of at least 70 degrees so to get proper sealing of the shingles.
Do You Need a Starter Course with Architectural Shingles?
A starter course of shingles is very important as they hold the ends of the shingles on your roof. Many times winds can get through the ends of the shingles and can damage the sealing. So if you will use a starter course to fix the shingles out there they will stay at their place properly.
- Use proper methods to install architectural shingles on your rooftop for weather protection.
- Put a layer of weather protective material along with water protection before the shingles.
- Take the help of a professional to get a great finish.