Kids love to play with puppets and if they can make one on their own it will be even more exciting to them.
It is easy to make puppets at home with easily available materialsHere is how to make different hand puppets.
How do You Make a Simple Puppet?
To make the simple puppet you will need a plastic spoon, black permanent marker, white paper, red sketch pens, glue, and thin satin ribbons.
- Take the spoon and on the back wide surface draw small eyes, nose, and mouth to make a bunny face.
- Cut out two small bunny ears from white paper and color red triangles to make the bunny ears.
- Using the glue fix the bunny ears on to the underside of the spoon. Make a bow using a satin ribbon where the tail of the spoon meets the head.
How do You Make Hand Puppets Out of Paper?
You will need colored paper, marker, and scissors.
- Take a sheet of paper and fold into half-length wise. Open the folds and fold the edges lengthwise towards the center. Now, there will be three creases.
- Fold one more time to get a thick strip. Fold the edges of the strip towards the center.
- Make an outward fold at the center, so that you will have one edge with two pockets to put your fingers.
- Draw a tongue shape using a red marker on one-half of the strip so that you can see the tongue when you open the puppet mouth.
- Make two eyes using paper and fix it on the top side of the pocket in which you will put the index finger.
How to Make a Hand Puppet with Moving Mouth?
- Take two sheets of paper of the same color, cut one into half lengthwise, and fold the other sheet lengthwise so that the sides overlap.
- Glue together the overlapping edges and fold it into half. Fold the free end again towards the center to form two pockets.
- Attach the long pieces on the top side, to give snake-like shape. Cut the tip of the tail to give triangle shape.
- Attach eyes on top and give a zigzag pattern to the body of the snake using the marker.
- Paste red color paper to the inside of the mouth and two teeth at the inner side of the upper jaw. Make the snake tongue with red paper and stick to the edge of the lower jaw.
How to Make a Puppet Girl?
- Wind white wool on 15 cm long cardboard for 50 rounds to make the body. Tie a knot at one end to hold the wool together.
- Place a small paper ball inside the wound wool at the top end and make a knot with red wool just below the ball to make the head.
- Wind red color wool on cardboard of 7.5 cm for 35 rounds and tie it leaving 1 inch at both ends with white wool to make the hands.
- Place this through the body, just below the head so the red hands are visible on either side. Wind 12 rounds of black wool on 7.5 cm cardboard and tie a knot in the center with the same wool to make hair.
- Attach the hair by sewing it. Stick black beads for eyes and Red Crescent for the mouth.
How to Make Paper Finger Puppets?
- Cut the paper into 5 cm squares. Glue two edges to make cylinders that will fit in your fingers.
- Take a paper and use markers to draw your favorite cartoon animal faces. Cut out the faces.
- Glue the faces on to the cylinders you have already made and allow it to dry. Wear it on your fingers to start playing.
How to Make Hand Puppets Out of Felt?
- Trace the shape of the puppet you want to make on the felt cloth and cut it out using scissors.
- Now using this cutout piece make the same shape on another piece of felt. Cut it out and sew the edges leaving the space to put your hand using a thread of the same color.
- You can cut the ears, eyes, nose, and tail from the felt of your choice. Fix the eyes, nose, ear, etc., using the glue or sew it.
- You can use markers to draw the whiskers and mouth if you wish and your felt puppet is ready.
Puppet Making Ideas
Any person with a little bit of imagination can make customized puppets from different materials and in different designs and sizes. There are finger puppets, hand puppets, puppets with moving mouths, hands, legs, etc. Here are some simple hand puppets making ideas that will be helpful for parents looking for creative ideas for their children. Every child will have their own ideas about owning a puppet and they can fulfill it with the guidance of their parents and a little bit of effort if the basic materials are available.
Hand Puppets Out of Socks
Socks are easily available material for any DIY projects at home. You will just need old or new socks, wool, two buttons, scissors and glue to make the puppet.
How to do?
- Cut wool strands into short pieces to make hair for the puppet.
- Use the buttons to make the eyes by fixing it at the toe area of the socks with the glue.
- Fix the wool strands above the eyes to form the hair. Put the socks around your hand and move the hand to see the puppet come alive.
Puppets from Paper Bag
You will need a paper bag that fits your hand size, a sheet of paper of the same color, marker pens, glue, and scissors.
How to do?
- Draw the face, arms, and legs of the animal puppet you want to make on the sheet of paper and cut them.
- Now attach the face of the animal to the closed end of the envelope with half of the face extending beyond the edge.
- Attach the arms on either side below the face using the gum. Attach the legs towards the open end of the envelope. Your puppet is ready for performance.
Hand Puppet Patterns
There are different hand puppet patterns that you can make using paper, felt cloth, old cloth, socks, cardboard, wool, etc. You can make a dogface, polar bear, penguin, monkey, skeleton, bunny, unicorn, or anything you can think of as a puppet pattern. Felt is an ideal material to make these patterns. You can make customized puppetry patterns for themes like Easter, Christmas, wild outdoor, princess, and knight, etc. You can find printable freehand puppet patterns of your choice easily from online sites.
Tips for Making Hand Puppet
Craft activities can be messy when kids are around and sometimes you may not have the materials required to make the puppet at home. So remember the following tips when you are making a hand puppet at home.
- If you are using glue cover the surface with paper or old cloth.
- If any particular material is not available, adapt other available things to create the puppet. You can use Google eyes, beads, black felt, or paper to make the eyes. Strands made from plastic covers, instead of wool to make hairs, etc.
- Try to reuse and recycle things in your home to create new puppets for kids.
- If you are not comfortable with sewing, you can always opt for glue guns.
How do you make glove puppets?
How do you make a puppet for beginners?
How do you make rubber hand gloves?
Can you dye your hair without gloves?
How can I make my gloves waterproof?
Can I waterproof gloves?
Does water ruin leather gloves?
What can I use if I don’t have waterproof gloves?
What if you don’t have snow boots?
How do you make gloves?
What can you use for a cold if you don’t have gloves?
Hand warmer packets are a great way to warm your fingers, especially if you‘re prone to cold fingers and/or have poor circulation. There are other options, too, such as gloves and mittens with heating elements built into them.
Why are my hands still cold in gloves?
Do rubber gloves keep hands warm?
Do silk gloves keep hands warm?
An all natural fabric, silk is highly absorbent like wool and will keep your hands dry and warm. It also has a high insulation factor similar to wool.