Add color and life to your home through a beautiful tapestry.
Having a piece of colorful creation on your wall adds an interesting and eye-catching pieceHere, you can follow these steps on how to make a beautiful creation, a lovely tapestry on your own.
How to Make a Tapestry for Beginners (woven)
What you need
- Weaving loom (which you can create on your own using an old picture frame with several nails on top and bottom)
- Knitting needle
- Yarn of different colors, thickness, and texture
- stick (for hanging purposes)
- durable thread
The first step is to create the warp
Using your weaving loom, tie the thread on the first nail at the top. Then, pull down the thread, and tie on the first peg at the bottom or directly below the top peg with the knot.
Then, bring the thread back to the top, repeat the process on the second peg. Repeat until the desired width is achieved. Then tie the string on the last nail. Remember not to make the thread too tight or loose for weaving to be a lot easy.
The second process is the bottom tassels
Cut the folded string of the desired length to twice the length of the tassels. Fold in tassels once more, insert over the first and under the second warp. Pull the ends and tighten the knot. Position the tassel below the bottom of the peg. Repeat process until entire bottom rows are filled with tassels.
Third, begin weaving
Start at least 2 to 3 warps in, Leave at least 2 inches of thread, then start weaving in alternate over and under pattern. Then, weave back in the opposite direction doing the over and under pattern. Make sure that the horizontal strands are squeezed tightly together.
If you want to switch thread color or you run out of thread, just end the current thread and start the new thread at the end of the previous one. Continue the weaving pattern, but do not forget to leave at least 2 inches tail in the back.
Repeat steps using a thread of different colors and thickness. Stop when the desired height of the yarn pattern is achieved. Cut the warp strings on top of the tapestry and do a double knot every two (2) strands together. Sew the loose ends at the back together. Then, thread with yarn at the end, tie a knot at the end. Wrap around the stick with the yarn back through the tapestry. Repeat the process until the stick is entirely covered with yarn. Tie a knot at the end once finish and then cut off the strands. Lastly, each end of the stick with yarn and then hang your new woven tapestry on your wall.
How to make a tapestry on your own (felt)
Gather all your needed materials first:
- Thick fabric or canvas
- Felt in different colors
- Cotton cord
- Glue sticks
- Wooden stick
- Glue gun
Start by cutting your thick fabric according to your desired size. But before you cut your canvas, make sure that the width is not wider than your stick or dowel.
Then, decide on the shapes and styles of your felt. At the back of your felt, draw the shapes and style of your choice. It is best to use an assortment of colors, keep an equal number of shapes and colors to keep it balanced.
Cut the shapes out of your felt; arrange them on your canvas to your liking. Lay the canvas flat; play with your shapes and colors until you are satisfied and happy with an arrangement.
Leave the patter as it is. One by one put hot glue around the edge of each shape and stick it on your canvas. Press the shapes to firmly stick to your fabric. Repeat the steps until all shapes are glued firmly.
Place a thin line of glue on the top of the edge of the backside of your canvas or fabric. Place the wooden stick onto the thin line of glue, then, place another thin line of glue a little under where the wooden stick is positioned.
Carefully roll the base fabric onto the second line of glue to seal. Now, the tapestry is attached to the dowel.
Cut a cotton cord (length depends on you) and tie it around each of the dowel’s end. The double knot should be not too close to the fabric. Cut the extra cord for a clean look.
Lastly, hang your DIY tapestry on your room wall, main room wall, or anywhere at home where you want to add color and texture.
Here’s another easy and affordable way to create a tapestry:
- Brad nails
- Heavy-duty staple gun
- Measuring tape
- Strip boards
- Order your tapestry online.
- Once you have your tapestry. Measure its size to determine the size of your wood frame. Visit the nearest hardware store for your wood frame, strip boards, and other equipment that you do not have at home.
- Paint your wood trim first before building your wooden frame. Set aside.
- When making your frame, make sure your frame is not overly larger than your tapestry, or else tapestry will just wrap around the sides of your frame.
- Attach wood braces to reinforce the wooden frame.
- Then, on a clean and flat surface, place your tapestry face down. Remove all wrinkles as much as possible.
- Put your wooden frame on top of your tapestry. Make sure all sides are balanced. Wrap each side of the tapestry on each side of the wooden frame.
- Hold it in place; attach the tapestry to the back of the frame using your heavy duty staple gun. Follow the steps until tapestry is properly secured on each side. Then, staple about every 6 inches around until the entire tapestry is firmly attached to the frame.
- Attach your wooden trims to the sides of your frame.
- Firmly place nails on your wall. Then, hang your wooden framed tapestry on the wall.
Now, appreciate the beauty hanging on your wall.