Everyone is attracted by slime. It has a gooey feeling that seems to be solid and liquid at the same time, making you easily mold it, stretch it, and even play with it. It’s a nice thing for boosting children attention during a science activity. The traditional method for making it calls for cornstarch, glue, and borax.
But there are other numerous ways you can use to make slime. You can use some of the household ingredients that you have either in your bathroom or kitchen.
How to Make Slime Using a Peel-Off Mask and Shaving Cream
- Start by mixing some shaving cream and a peel-off face mask in a clean bowl. Measure and pour approximately 120 ml of peel-off face mask with some polyvinyl alcohol. After that, add 240 ml of the shaving cream then gently stir to mix.
- You can top up or reduce the shaving cream on the bowl to determine how fluffy your slime will be.
- Polyvinyl alcohol works the same as a glue when making slime. In other words, it has a nice substitute. Ensure that the peel-off mask that you are using has some polyvinyl alcohol.
- Next, measure 1 g of baking soda then add on the mixture that you already made in the first step. Then use a wooden spoon to stir the ingredients together. Immediately, the slime will begin thickening up but won’t act like slime yet.
- Ensure that all ingredients are combined fully before you proceed.
- Now activate the slime with a contact solution. This contact solution has boric acid that will activate the polyvinyl alcohol on the face mask, changing it into slime.
- Continue adding some drops of the contact solution on the bowl as you stir to make sure everything is properly mixed up. Add the contact solution continuously to thicken the slime
- The quantity of contact solution that you’ll use depends on the quantity of boric acid it has, plus the type of face mask that you used. Just add enough to make the slime slimy.
- Alternatively, if you need a stretcher slime, add approximately 30 ml of water. After that, knead the water on the slime until it feels wet.
- Finally, after you finish playing with the slime, make sure you scoop it inside a resealable bag or an airtight container. The slim should remain safe and clean for one week. After one week, throw it away.
How to Make Slime Using Psyllium Husk
- Begin by measuring out one tablespoon of psyllium husk then add it in a clean bowl. After that, add 1 cup of water.
- Then give the mixture approximately 5 minutes to soak. As it does this, you’ll realize that it begins to thicken. At this point, the mixture might look too runny. Don’t worry!
- Then add some color to the mixture if you want. However, you can decide to leave your slime clear. Many people prefer adding some food color to make the slime look more appealing to make sure you use a gel-based food color as it works perfectly. But if you have nothing else, you can try liquid.
- Make sure you don’t add glitter as you’ll be forced to microwave it.
- Continue stirring the mixture using a spoon until you arrive at a consistent texture. In case you used the food coloring, continue stirring until there are no streaks.
- Next, place the slime in a microwave for approximately five minutes. Stay beside the microwave then concentrate on the slime. Once it begins to bubble, pause your microwave then allow your slime to “deflate” once it’s leveled, start the microwave once more then allow it to finish heating.
- Now take the slime inside your fridge. Once you remove the bowl from the microwave, the result will be a chunky, gooey, and somewhat-chunky slime. At this point, the slime will be a bit hot to play with; therefore, you need to place it in the fridge to cool for some minutes.
- Finally, play with the slime. If you want, you can add some objects to the slime-like googly eyes. Once you finish playing with it, place the slime on an airtight container.
How to Make Slime Using Shampoo and Toothpaste
- Select a thick consistency shampoo. Then add 30 millilitres or two squeezes of the shampoo on a small clean dish.
- Next, add a little toothpaste. Mint or white-colored toothpaste works perfectly. But here, make sure you use striped toothpaste.
- Colgate is an excellent option, but you can use other brands too.
- Use a toothpick to stir the two. While stirring the toothpaste and the shampoo, the two will result in a gooey substance. This takes approximately one minute.
- In case the slime is a bit hard, be sure to top up more shampoo. When it’s oozy, add toothpaste then stir the slime for one minute until it results in an even texture and color.
- Now condense the slime for about 1 hour. It should feel firm once it freezes for 10 minutes. When it’s still squishy, freeze it for 50 minutes.
- Then remove it from the freezer. Squish, roll, and then squeeze it on your hand until it becomes squishy and soft again.