Programming the new ignition system in Ford is a little tricky but once you get a hang of it, it will make life simpler.
It brings forth the IoT world of connected technology where safety and security features are top prioritiesProgramming a Ford Key Fob requires a distinct method for each car, and this makes it so unique and interesting.
Program Ford Key with Only 1 Key
Programming a Ford Transponder with only 1 key is not that difficult. This YouTube video explains the procedure and caveats. It turns out that for different models and versions that rolled out a specific year, this may or may not be possible. In the worst scenario, you have to take it to your dealer. Watch the complete video to get a hang of the situation, if you are into one.
- The first thing is ‘Making the Key’ which can cost you up to 10 USD or so depending on your locality. And, then when you have cloned the single key, and have a duplicate, you can start the process. The next thing is to get the software you need, once the two keys are available.
- You will need an aftermarket ELM327 Bluetooth Adapter, which is an OBDII type. It is a readily available and very cheap tool that one can purchase online. If you go local, it will be even cheaper. But online can be a hassle-free option for many where you can get one for around $10 or so.
- Next, you will need a Windows PC that has Bluetooth in it, SO a laptop is a better choice here. Finally, the third tool is the ‘FORScan OBD II’ software which is available for download and installs ‘Free of Cost’ for PC. Do note that, iPhone and Android versions do not offer the same capability and compatibility, so go for a PC version here, and save yourself the trouble.
- The rest of the steps are very generic, and you can read about it online. Try to follow at least two to three forums, so that you know what you are getting into. If you feel uncomfortable, consult the dealer or a professional.
Program Ford Key without Original
In case you do not have the original, you have to take it to a locksmith. Only a tech-savvy locksmith can reprogram it even without an original.
- Of course, if you learn the art, you can do it too. But, having the tools and verifying whether it works, is going to be a hassle. All you need is your VIN or Vehicle Identification Number, and your locksmith can do the rest for you.
- Entering the programming mode allows you to lock, unlock the doors, besides other things. Without the original key, check for professionals in your area for a cheaper affordable alternative.
Ford Intelligent Access Key Programming
Many times people do need to swap controls. For that, they need to start with an un-programmed Intelligent Access Key or IAK, leaving it in the center console pocket, and keeping the two previously programmed keys inside the vehicle. There are some things you can do to avoid any unnecessary trouble.
- First, press the driver and passenger power door unlock control three times. Now, push down and release the brake pedal once. Finally, once again press the driver and passenger power door unlock control three times.
- Push down and release the brake pedal once, and at this point, you can see the Start/Stop button indicator flashing and sending a signal or indicating that you are now in programming mode. Always remember this sequence of steps to enter the program mode or advanced mode.
- Wait a minute to press the ‘Start/Stop’ button, and then a message will appear on the center display that the key was programmed. You have to press the ‘Unlock’ key on the IAK, the Intelligent Access Key, and now it’s time to exit from the programming mode.
Ford C-Max Key Fob Programming
The instructions for a Ford C-Max are as follows. These are Ford Key Fob programming rules, and needs a specific set for a specific type of vehicle. The Ford C-Max’s Keyless Entry is a great option for lightweight and worry-free travel. Using the Remote Fob Smart key, which is based on Focus Sedan, the five-seater C-Max is a clever hybrid that comes with Ford’s intelligent access management system.
You can find step-by-step programming instructions in your manual. Here you can see the remote key programming instructions in under a minute. In most cases, there is a lot of similarity in the instruction set or sequence, but using the manual of your make and model, you should do just fine.
How do I Program My New Ford Key Fob?
The simplest thing is to get this straight. I’m your dealer. Because, the make and model of the car, and year it rolled out, the software can change, the dealer can help you with this without any hassle. It is far easier than following some random tricks and tips from a pamphlet. In any case, the steps will be similar to these.
- First, enter your Ford car, and close the door. Now, slide the ignition key, which is always attached to the Ford Key Fob. Then, turn the ignition ‘On’.
- After you have turned it ‘On’ and ‘Off’, eight times, don’t start the car yet. Wait for a beep signal that indicates the programming mode. Leave the key in ‘On’ position, at the end of the 8th
- Now, you have to press the Key Fob buttons within 20 seconds duration to reprogram it to a new instruction set. This will reprogram the key, and you will have a new key.
Can I Program My Own Key Fob?
Yes, you can program and set a new key in your key fob. If you have the necessary tools and knowledge, this is a simple thing. Most locksmith and dealers follow a set of instructions that depends on the make and model of the car. For this, your VIN or Vehicle Identification Number is useful. Without this, it would be a hassle. In the worst case, take it to your dealer and they should be able to help you out with ease.
Can I Reprogram a Used Ford Key Fob?
Yes, a locksmith can reprogram a used Ford key fob easily. It is possible for you too if you know the trick. Sometimes, it needs tools such as Bluetooth Adapters and software, as we have listed in the above sections. In some cases, it is possible from the console and with the original key. Re-programming a Ford Key Fob is the same as setting a new key, and the processes are the same. If you can enter the programming mode, you can reprogram it too.
How do You Program a Push Start Key Fob?
Here is a great video that shows the below steps on a Compustar Remote. When you are turning it ‘On’ and ‘Off’, here you are supposed to push to turn ‘On’ and ‘Off’ up to 4 times and leave it in ‘On’ by the end of the 4th time. This is a simple process but might need some practice to get it straight.
- Each model has its own instruction set, to keep a note of the VIN and the details.
- Take it to the dealer or a locksmith if you are not sure or comfortable with what you are doing.