Reading an electric meter is relatively easy; however, you will need to determine the kind of meter It is necessary as there are four major kinds of electric meters. They include:
- Electronic Meters
- Digital Electric Meters
- Smart Electric Meters
- Dial Electric Meters
There are many benefits of being able to read the electric meter. However, the most important one is that this way, one can keep track of all his meter readings.
Moreover, you will also be able to check if your electric bill is right or not. Such knowledge is essential in everyday life. This will help you get to know about all the ways you can limit the use of electricity.
Discovering the meter reading on an electronic meter is comparatively even more comfortable than the digital meter. There are two different kinds of electronic meters.
One among them will allow the automatic display on the electric meter. Whereas, in a different type, you will have to press a button to take a picture of the readings that will be displayed in the meter. However, one will have to follow the same process as you did for the digital meter.
To read the electric meter, you will have to note down the reading that comes in the form of digits being displayed in the center of the meter. Next, you will have to note down the reading from the left to the right side.
In this kind of meter, you will again have to ignore all types of red numbers. They can either be red or will be contained in a red box.
Likewise, one will have to look at the previous readings in this kind of meter too. It will help you to determine the difference between the ratings of the daytime and the nighttime.
The Digital Electric Meter
Starting with the digital electric meter, one will have to read it by accessing the written numbers from the left to the right side. However, sometimes, some numbers are written in either red color or red blocks.
It is necessary to let go of those numbers. Moreover, some people receive an electric bill that is low-priced. This kind of statement comes with two types of rows in the meter.
In the case of two rows in the electric meter, you will have to write all the numbers in the rows beginning from the left and ending it on the right side. Moreover, you will have to check out the meter readings on the previous bills.
It is very important to determine the difference between the daytime and the night-time ratings. The rate of day and night differs, and it will help you note down its significant differences.
Smart Electric Meter
Having a smart electric meter cuts off all the troubles in the first place. It is because it will help you in collecting the meter reading in a very simple way.
You will not have to read the smart meter reading; it will automatically send the meter reading to its user.
Reading the Dial Electric Meter
To read the dial electric meter, one will initially have to take a keen look at the dials’ direction. The dials’ direction varies in these meters, depending on the direction of the dial before it.
The number on the dial is between 0 to 9. Moreover, they move from 0 to 1 and 0 to 9 in an orderly manner. You will be able to determine the meter reading by reading the direction of the dial.
However, this is not all as there are some other specific instructions that you will have to look after in the case of a dial meter. For example:
- You will have to read the dials starting from the left side towards the right side.
- In some cases, the pointer lies between two numbers instead of directly pointing towards one. This gives an advantage to the reader. In this case, you will have to take the number that will be lower than the two numbers.
- However, if the pointer points directly on a single number, then you must choose the exact number that it will be pointing on.
- Last but not least, you do not have to read the last number displayed on the right-hand side. It is an insignificant number and will have no purpose in telling us about the dial meter reading.
Importance of Reading a Meter
There are many benefits of generating meter reading; however, the most important one is keeping track of your billing information.
Such knowledge will make you aware of all the technical factors to read the electric meter. However, the most crucial step is to determine the kind of meter that you will be using. All the different types vary according to their prices and their uses.
How can I read my electric meter by myself?
How do you read a smart meter with A and B button?
- Press and hold the green A button for at least 2 seconds.
- Press A again and again to cycle through the displays.
- The first row of numbers you’ll see is your meter reading.
Which button is read on electric meter?
- Press 6 on the keypad until you see ‘IMP R01’ followed by 8 digits – this is usually your night/off-peak reading.
- Then keep on pressing 6 on the keypad until you see ‘IMP R02’ followed by 8 digits – this is usually your peak/normal reading.
- Ignore any digits after a decimal point if you have one.
How do I read my electric meter kWh?
- Press 6 on the keypad until you see ‘IMP R01’ followed by 8 digits.
- You’ll then see 8 digits (e.g. 0012565.3) followed by kWh at the bottom right of the screen. This will be your peak/day time reading.
- This is your read, so for this example your reading would be 12565.
Can you read a smart meter yourself?
Where is the meter reading on a smart meter?
- Press 9 on the keypad.
- VOLUME will appear on your smart meter screen.
- You’ll see 6 digits (e.g. 00123.4) followed by an ‘m3’ symbol at the bottom right of the screen.
- This figure is your latest reading – if you’re giving a reading to your energy provider, they only need the first 5 digits.
What are the A and B buttons on my smart meter?
What do the numbers on a digital electric meter mean?
How do I turn on my digital electric meter?
- Locate the electric meter. You find it in a boxed unit at the first place the electric wiring enters your home.
- Open the door of the unit or the external box. You can usually open the door by turning the handle, or just pulling the knob.
- Look at the electric meter.
How do you read a new digital electric meter?
What is a normal electric meter reading?
Day usage is called ‘normal‘ and night usage is called ‘low’. For instance the electricity meter above would be recorded as: Low (night): 80506. Normal (day): 97192.
Why is my meter reading so high?
How can I reduce my electric meter reading?
How can I fight a high electric bill?
How much electricity does a 3 bed house use?
What wastes the most electricity in a house?
- Air conditioning and heating: 46 percent.
- Water heating: 14 percent.
- Appliances: 13 percent.
- Lighting: 9 percent.
- TV and Media Equipment: 4 percent.
How much on average is electric bill UK?
How much electricity does a 4 bed house use?
Ads by Google