Have you ever noticed a shine on the apples? What does this indicate? Is this a wax or something else? Well, the answer is here, apples do contain wax on the outer layer.
According to some people, it is safe to eat but some people avoid itIs that an organic wax or artificial? It is very necessary for all of us to know about fruit wax and how to remove wax from applesSo, here we go.
What’s the Wax on Apples?
When you pluck an apple from the tree and buff it then you will see a shine on it. This is the wax coating on the apple. The natural wax protects the fruit from drying and also prevents the fungi and other bacteria from growing on it. So, it acts as a protective barrier.
- The wax consists of a mixture of fifty chemical compounds. Most of them are esters, and some of them are alcohols such as heptacosanol and malol. Hydrocarbons are also a part of this mixture.
- This natural wax also consists of triterpenoid compounds. Ursolic acid is also found in the wax that consists of a variety of biochemical effects demonstrated in the lab experiments.
- When we pluck the apples from the trees, we wash them thoroughly before supplying them in the supermarket. This process removes the dirt, chemicals, and also the wax present on the apple. As we have discussed, the wax protects the fruit from destroying, when we remove it, the shelf life of the fruit becomes shortened.
- Hence, the fruit is later on sprayed by a thin layer (3 mg) of wax to retain its storage life. Different types of wax are used for this purpose.
- Mostly used wax is Carnauba wax from Brazilian palm leaves, candela wax that comes from a desert plant and food-grade shellac from Indian lac bug, according to some concerns, the wax traps pesticides inside the apple’s skin. And studies show that there are certain methods to remove wax from apples. We will cover it in further sections.
How to Identify Wax on Apples?
The easiest way to find out whether the wax coating id there on your fruit or not is to take a bowl full of boiled water and place the apple in it. Or place the apple in the sink and pour the boiling hot water on it. If you see a waxy, white film is appearing on the peel then it is covered with wax. Now, we need to remove wax from apples with any of the methods that have been discussed in this article.
Is Wax on Apples Safe to Eat?
We must not consume any type of wax. But if somehow we consume it then no need to worry, it is safe to eat the wax. The reason behind this is that waxes are indigestible by humans. If we intake any type of wax, it will not harm our body and will flush out without sticking in the body. Humans are not able to break down the wax and absorb its components. There are many types of wax that are produced by plants & animals like beeswax by honeybees; bayberry wax from the fruit’s surface wax of bayberry bush, etc.
How do You Get Wax off Fruit?
It is necessary to remove wax from apples as it may not be consumed. According to ‘Meher Rajput’, a dietician from the fit pass, New Delhi, when we consume wax-coated apples, they might affect our health and can cause respiratory issues, ulcers, and infections. So, we can get rid of the wax by the following methods,
- Using hot water
- Lemon & baking soda
- Apple cider vinegar
As we have discussed earlier, to check that the fruit is coated with wax or not, we need hot boiling water. Similarly, to remove the wax we need to dip the fruit in hot water for a few seconds. And when taken out wash it from the running tap water. Now, the wax is removed. To check that still wax is present or not you can repeat the process and check.
How to Remove Wax from Apples with Baking Soda?
We just have to follow 5 simple steps to remove the wax from apples.
- Clean your sink and fill it with 4 inches of lukewarm water.
- Add lemon juice (1 tablespoon) and baking soda (1 tablespoon). Mix it with lukewarm water in the sink.
- Place the fruits in the sink. Use a fruit/vegetable brush to lightly scrub the apples. Rinse the fruits and pat dry.
Now, you can see the difference.
How to Remove Wax from Apples with Vinegar?
This method is similar to the previous one. This can also be done in 5 simple steps,
- Clean the sink and fill it with 4 inches of water.
- Instead of lemon juice, add vinegar (1 tablespoon) and baking soda (1 tablespoon). Stir it.
- Put the apples in the sink. Use a fruit brush to scrub gently. Rinse the apples and pat dry.
And in this way, we can easily get rid of the wax. Now, you can eat the wax-free apples.
How to Remove Wax from Apples for Candy Apple?
As we have described the four methods, we can choose any one of them to remove the wax from candy apples. If we have baking soda and lemon juice then we can easily remove wax from apples. And also, we can replace the lemon juice with vinegar. Also, if we don’t have anything, we can simply boil the water and put the candy apples in it for a few seconds and place it in the running water.
How to Remove Pesticides from Apples?
Pesticides are good for the crops as they prevent them from molds and bugs. But they are not good for humans. If we eat them, we can suffer from serious health issues. Therefore, before eating any fruit or vegetables, we must remove the pesticides.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), pesticides may severely affect the nervous system of the fetuses or children. Some people think that organic fruits are safe to eat but these organic fruits also contain pesticides on the outermost layer.
- So, what’s the solution? How can we remove pesticides from apples? It is clinically tested that if we place the fruits in a baking soda solution for 10-15 minutes, then all the chemicals from the outermost layer of the fruit will be removed. But 20 percent of fungicide & 4 percent of insecticide had soaked the apple’s skin and hence, cannot be washed off.
- So, why to take a chance, if you are more conscious about the pesticide, then remove the peel and then eat the apple.
If the baking soda solution worked on the apples, it doesn’t mean that it will work for all the other fruits and vegetables. And the conclusion is, it is best for us to peel off the apple’s skin and then have the fruit. It will be the best option.
- Apples are the best for our health. So, we need to maintain our health. But this might turn hazardous if we do not remove the wax and pesticides from the apple’s skin.
- There are so many options to remove the wax from apples. We can use any one of these methods.
- It is considered the best if we peel off the apple’s skin and then eat. The baking soda solution will remove all the pesticides but till then 20% fungicide and 4% of insecticide is already absorbed in the apple’s skin.
- Be safe and eat healthy fruits with the help of wax removal methods.