You can use up to three monitors for multitasking, playing games, doing research and code, writing articles. Doing this is essential when you wish to see much information at once, and the process is useful and straightforward more so when your laptop has required features. The good news is, the guide illustrates a step-by-step guide on how you can setup up to 3 monitors on your laptop.
Step 1: Check Whether Your Laptop Can Support Up To Three Monitors
Not all laptops can support up to three monitors – more so cheap and older laptops. Therefore, to determine whether your PC can support them, make sure you physically investigate it. To run up to three monitors on your laptop, you need a minimum of three video ports that you can use at once.
When using a laptop, there are chances that you’ll have only a single video port found either on the right or left side of the PC. Some laptops have two video ports, but it’s hard to get a laptop with three ports. Therefore, setting up three monitors can be a bit hard unless you acquire hardware.
If your laptop has only one or two video ports, don’t give up. You’ll still set up the monitors.
Step 2: Buy Extra Hardware To Support Triple Monitors
If your laptop only has one or two video ports, you’ll still fix the three monitors! For this to happen, be sure to purchase any of the following:
- An external multi-display adapter
- A docking station
- A USB to HDMI adapterst
Step 3: Confirm If You Have The Right Cables
After you’ve bought additional hardware to support your laptop, ensure that you have the right type of cables to set up everything and begin your work.
Before you start fixing things up, start by recalling all the video ports that you identified on the laptop earlier. For instance, if you found out that your laptop has one DisplayPort and two HDMI ports, you must look for two HDMI cables and a single DisplayPort cables to fix the monitors.
After that, make sure you look at the ports built on the monitors. For example, when connecting to a laptop with only one DisplayPort and two HDMI ports, basically you’ll use two monitors having one DisplayPort input and an HDMI input.
Sometimes the ports on your laptop may fail to match those on the monitor. Never panic! Purchase an adapter or an adapter cable—e.g. when the laptop features a DisplayPort. Alternatively, if the monitor has a single VGA input, then look for a DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter then fix it from the adapter’s VGA input to the monitor’s input using a male-to-male VGA cable.
Step 4: Start Configuring Your Display Settings
Immediately you have gathered all the required hardware, and you’ve fixed everything correctly, now its time to fix the monitors. This is how you can configure the settings:
When Using Windows 7 Or 8
- Start by right-clicking on the desktop then tap Screen resolution. At this point, you must now see a range of monitors displayed, each having a number on it.
- Having done that, tap on Identify to check the illustrated monitor that represents which monitor on the desk. For example, if you type 1, it will be displayed automatically on one of the monitors you are setting up.
- In case one of the monitors can’t be seen, tap on Detect then relax as your laptop detects it. When the problem persists, don’t be worried! Move to the next step and update the graphics monitors and product drivers.
- When the arrangement of objects on your laptop screen doesn’t resemble how your monitors are organized on the desk, make sure you arrange them to match them. You can do this through dragging and dropping using a mouse.
- Now tap on the drop-down menu close to multiple displays then choose to extend these displays. With that done, you’ll see a range of display that moves across all the monitors.
- Tap on Apply to save.
When Using Windows 10
- Move to Settings, then click on System. After that, click on Display.
- Next, select a display to change the settings. Simply drag then drop the displays to change their arrangement. After that, change the display orientation.
- When you finish this step, your monitors will run perfectly! But if any problem happens, make sure you update the drivers.
Step 5: Finally, Update Your Monitor And Graphics Drivers
To be sure that the three monitors setup runs appropriately, and get rid of issues like black screens and loss of signal, make sure you update drivers for both the monitors and the graphics card. You can do this using the following ways:
Method 1: Download then Install the Drivers Manually
If you want to manually get the up to date drivers for the monitors and graphics card, make sure you visit all the manufacturers’ websites, look for the best drivers for your machine and windows, download, then install each of them.
Method 2: Update the Graphics Drivers Automatically
When you don’t have the computer skills, patience, or time to update the drivers manually, you can use Driver Easy software to carry out the task.
This software automatically recognizes your device’s system then gets the right drivers. You don’t have to understand the exact system running on the laptop. Don’t risk downloading then installing a driver that doesn’t fit on the device. Here’s what to do:
- Download then install the software
- Next, run it then click on Scan Now. After that. Driver Easy will scan the device then get the drivers with problems.
- Finally, tap on Update All to download and install automatically the right version of the drivers that are outdated or missing.
That’s how to set up three monitors using windows 7/8/10. It’s an easy method provided you follow the steps above. Have a beautiful user experience.
How do I extend my display to 3 monitors?
How do I setup 3 monitors on my laptop Windows 10?
- To choose how you want to use your display on Windows 10, press Windows + P keys on your keyboard. Choose a new display mode from the available options:
- You should choose the Extend option when you use three monitors.
- Then, configure your displays on Windows 10.
How do I connect multiple monitors to a laptop?
Can you run 2 monitors off 1 HDMI port?
Can my laptop support 3 monitors?
Can you use 3 monitors with Windows 10?
Can I connect 3 monitors to my HP laptop?
How do I connect 3 monitors to my laptop HDMI?
Why is my 3rd monitor not detected?
Can I connect 4 monitors to my laptop?
Is 3 monitors too much?
What graphics card do I need for 3 monitors?
The minimum you need is the RTX 2080 Super. A 3 monitors graphics card that has our recommendation is the ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Super.
What graphics card supports 3 monitors?
- Evga GeForce GT 710.
- XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition.
- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Windforce OC Edition.
- Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64.
- MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio.
- Evga GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition.
Can a GTX 1060 run 3 monitors?
Is DisplayPort better than HDMI?
Can you use 3 monitors on ps4?
Can you run two monitors on PS4?
Ads by Google