As an artist, all your artworks must be preserved for as long as it allows. That’s why proper caring and maintenance of the artwork is needed. Most artwork can cost us a car or a house, no wonder most people value and treasure their artwork more than anything.
If you decide to move to a different location or sell one of your artworks to someone else, that can mean one thing. You will need to ship it, especially if the location is not in a driving distance. To help you ship your painting the right way, here’s a guide on how to do that.
Shipping a Painting the Right Way
Step 1 Take measurements of the artwork.
Before you consider sending it, the first thing you’ve got to do is take measurements of the said article that needs to be shipped.
- Measure the artwork’s weight. The weight of the artwork determines how much your chosen courier should charge you for shipping. When taking measurements, it’s important to double-check it so you won’t be surprised if you’ll end up paying much more than you expected.
- Measure as well the dimensions of your artwork. Note the artwork’s width, length, and height. The courier company will also need this for quotation and later processing. Make sure you’ve taken the right measurements so you won’t face any issues once you proceed for the processing of your shipment.
- Check for your courier’s online website to gauge or get an estimated computation of the said shipment. The measurements as well will help you pick the right shipping container or box for your painting. That’s why it’s essential to do your measurements correctly.
Step 2 Weigh down your options and select the right courier service.
Once you have the exact measurements, start shortlisting all the courier services to help you with your shipment.
- Check online for reliable and trusted courier agencies or companies that can accomplish the shipment. Make a list together with the pros and cons of why you should get them or not.
- Then, start visiting the courier company’s website and seek for positive reviews. Note how these companies do well when it comes to catering shipment (how fast, efficient, and cautious they are towards handling shipments).
- Input your painting’s measurements and see which courier company offers a better deal for your money.
- Compare, which has more pros than cons. This will help you pick the best one to attend for your shipping needs. Once you’ve chosen one, start contacting them for further inquiries and assistance.
Step 3 Start selecting the right shipping container
Now that you have your courier agency properly handle the shipment of your painting, you may now proceed with selecting the right packaging option for your painting.
- Check for the courier’s shipping guidelines online or call them for assistance. They have stipulated specific guidelines for every item that will be shipped through them. Packaging requirements will depend on how big, small, light, or heavy the item will be. The bigger and heavier the item is, the more durable the packaging option it needs.
- If you’re shipping a much smaller artwork, you need to package it in a double-walled corrugated box. This box will secure your painting and prevent it from too much movement while shipping that can cause damages or deformation.
- For bigger artworks, especially if it’s 40×40 inches and above, you need to secure it with wood crates. You can customize these on your own make sure that you follow the courier’s guidelines.
- If your artwork has a sensitive wooden frame or comes with a glass frame, make sure you frame it with a cushion, so it won’t break before it arrives at the receiver. Measure the width again when the cushion is added to fit perfectly in the box or wooden crate.
- While recycling is good, recycling shipment boxes for next use is highly discouraged, especially for heavier items. If you’re an artist-entrepreneur, your shipment will not look professional to your client if you used an old box. Make sure the box is new and presentable. After all, it’s good for your business.
- To save you from the hassle, you may visit the courier’s office near you to assist you with your packaging. Just take note that this can cost you an extra fee for the additional work. Rest assured, your artwork will be packaged according to their guidelines without spending too much time and effort.
Step 4 Process the shipment of your painting
Coordinate with the courier for the shipping details and payments.
- Always check your shipment if you have input the correct receiver, the receiver’s address, and contact details. One mistake can take your item to the wrong person. Be sure to double-check before submitting the paperwork.
- Take note of the estimated shipment arrival for the painting. You may inform the receiver, so they have someone to receive the shipment around that time.
- Keep your shipping receipt to check the tracking details online. This comes in handy when you monitor your package’s current status.
- Get the shipping insurance when you can. Most of the courier has insurance for packages, especially for valuable ones. Make sure your paintings are insured just in case something goes wrong along the way.
Step 5 Track your Shipment
Use the tracking number provided by the courier service that you can check online. Monitor the movement of your shipping until it reaches the receiver.