Leggings are most probably the most wearable clothing apparel for any occasion, except for formal ones. It’s beyond comfortable to wear and doesn’t take too much space in the closet.
However, the more you wear it, the more it gets loose as well. Sounds like some bad news, right? But, there’s a way to shrink them again and have it fit perfectly.
Do it by using your good old washer and dryer
Step 1: You will need to place all of your loose leggings straight to the washing machine.
Step 2: You should choose the hottest option in your washer and dryer settings. Do the hottest that you can get.
Step 3: Add some of your laundry detergents. There’s no strict rule here when it comes to picking a type of detergent. You can use whatever you have in your house.
Step 4: You can also add a fabric conditioner to add that sweet-smelling feel. This is just optional. You may always opt for a no-fabric conditioner wash.
Step 5: Before starting the washer, choose the option setting to longer wash. Choose the longest one as much as possible.
Step 6: Once done washing, set the dryer as well to the hottest setting available and start drying your leggings. Pick a longer time as well to provide more heat to your leggings for shrinking.
Voila! Your leggings should be shrunk now.
Spray the leggings with your hairdryer
- You’ll need an empty spray bottle for this one. If you have a spare bottle in your house, then it’s better. If not, you can always purchase them in the supermarket.
- Heat some water in the pot. Estimate just enough water that can fill up your spray bottle later.
- When the water is hot, fill the spray bottle with it.
- Prepare all your loose leggings for spraying.
- Go ahead and use the ironing board and place your leggings on it. If you don’t have an ironing board, any flat surface will do.
- Spray your leggings with the hot mixture without soaking it all too much. Start with the front part first.
- Then grab your blower or hairdryer and heat the leggings. Choose the “high heat” option.
- Do the same process to the other side of the leggings.
Use an electric iron
- You will need to have your leggings washed first to get rid of any dirt residues and let it air dry.
- Take your leggings while it’s still a little damp and not too dry out.
- Grab your electric iron (handle with caution) and pick the medium heat. Start fully drying your leggings by ironing it. Make sure it’s crisp. Please don’t get it burned, and be careful with the temperature of the iron.
Boil it with very hot water
- Prepare a big pot and fill it with hot water halfway.
- Bring the water into a boil.
- Then start adding your leggings and boil it for at least 15 minutes. Time will depend on how many leggings you put in the pot. This applies to 4-5 medium-sized leggings.
- Use a thong and carefully take out all the leggings and transfer it to another container.
- Let it cool down for a little bit until it’s bearable to touch.
- Wring the excess water and hang it to dry under the sun.
Tips on taking care of your leggings better
- When you just purchased new sets of leggings, always check the garment tag for care instructions. This was attached to the garment by the manufacturer to help their customers to better care for the garment they’ve purchased. By doing this, you will have a better grasp on how to take care of your leggings the right way.
- Always check what type of leggings you have in your closet. Know that there are different kinds of leggings: spandex, polyester, and nylon leggings. Each of those types has specific ways of handling and maintaining. Familiarize yourself with those differences.
- Separate your working out leggings and casual leggings. At times we tend to wear our gym clothes whenever grocery shopping or just simply running a quick errand. Little did we know that we are already overusing it slowly. Over time the leggings get stretchy and loose with constant use. Try to strictly assign leggings for just working out and for regular use. This way, it won’t worn out easily, and it can last for a long time of use.
- When washing your leggings, it’s always recommended to hand wash it. This way, you can control the force that the leggings are taking compared to washing it in the washer. But if you want convenience, use a mesh bag to separate your leggings from other garments that you’re washing, as well as the chemicals from the washer and detergent that damages the fabric fibers.
- To prevent your leggings from getting loose way too early, always wash it with either warm or cold water. If you use room temperature water, it soaks up the leggings too much and messes up with the fibers. Unlike with hot or cold water, it helps the legging fabric to retain its sturdiness and tightness.
- Although the dryers do wonders when shrinking loose leggings as what we’ve mentioned above, it’s the opposite for newly bought leggings. For your new leggings, avoid drying them by using the dryer since it affects the quality of the leggings. We highly recommend you to air dry it, whether indoors or outdoors. The dryer shall only be used for emergency cases such as fixing loose leggings. Air drying clothes can also save you from the hefty prices of electric consumption, and on top of that, you’re also helping to save the environment.
- Some of us like our clothes when they are properly ironed. That crisp and sharp look will never go out of style. However, if it’s spandex leggings, you might not want to use an iron for it since it burns quite easily.
How can I make my leggings smaller?
Can you shrink leggings in the wash?
What do you do if your leggings are too big?
How do you shrink polyester spandex leggings?
To shrink your polyester and spandex leggings, wash the spandex polyester garment on the hottest wash and rinse cycle of your washing machine. Remove the leggings from the washer and place them into a laundry mesh bag or pillowcase and tie the end closed.
How do you shrink polyester leggings that are too big?
Does spandex shrink in the dryer?
How can I make my spandex tighter?
How much will 95 cotton 5 spandex shrink?
What happens if I put spandex in the dryer?
Does spandex shrink when washed?
Why is spandex so expensive?
Does spandex stretch out over time?
How tight should leggings be?
Can spandex be altered?
Does nylon and spandex stretch over time?
Do leggings stretch out?
Is 90 polyester and 10 spandex stretchy?
How can I make my leggings bigger?
- Wear Your Leggings on a Regular Basis.
- Get Active in Your Leggings.
- Wash Your leggings and Shape Them When Wet.
- Wash Your Leggings and then Put Them on When Wet.
- Use Weights to Stretch Out Your Leggings.
- Wash Your Leggings in Baby Shampoo.