Spelling a number helps you communicate better than usual.
It is better to spell 30 instead of just writing no30There are several reasons to know the spelling of 30 as correct grammar indicates that you spell 30 in a sentence instead of writing no30.
How is 30 Pronounced?
If you really want to improve your language, spelling is not the only way but you should be more efficient in pronouncing the number as well.
- You should practice pronouncing the word on daily bases and give it time.
- You should be aware of your capability and prepare accordingly. Correct pronouncing takes time to come in handy and sound like a native.
- Also, you might want some expert guidance on how to twist the word and improve your mistakes.
To Pronounce 30 in American English
American English is different from British as well all know. You need to understand basic American English to go through this properly.
- You need to start looking at the pronunciation of the ‘Th’ in order to pronounce this sound and you should use your tongue tip so it doesn’t sound like 13 instead of 30.
- We should focus on your vocal cords to feel no vibration, just air through your mouth, and need to practice it again and again.
- You need to make your tongue float in the middle of the mouth and pull it back
Spelling Number 30
It requires an attentive nature to provide consistency in different styles to spell the number with good grammar. Once you are familiar with the language, it is better to use spells of the number in writing.
- You should be careful with double digits numbers especially when they appear at the beginning of the sentences.
- We should spell out 30 or other numbers to clarify the details in the sentence. You can spell it out as ‘Thirty’ and it contains only one vowel and rests consonants.
- You should avoid writing spelling in case of exceptions like bullet points, dates, years, etc.
Double-Check the Requirement of the Sentence
There are certain rules and requirements of the sentence; you should be familiar with that before you start writing numbers.
- You should talk to your editor or your professor to be sure about the rules and requirements of the spelling in the sentence.
- We can choose anything either spelling the number or using digits, but be consistent about it throughout your whole writing document.
- You should use a hyphen in case of two-digit complex numbers in between like 31; thirty-one.
How to Spell 50?
We are familiar with singular numbers but need to be sure about bigger or complex numbers. There are various ways to spell out 50 in different languages.
- You can spell the number 50 as ‘Fifty’ in English, ‘Cinquante’ in French, and so on in other languages as required. ‘Fifty’ is made up of a single vowel as well as 4 consonants.
- You need to have indebted knowledge of how to pronounce the number like it is pronounced as ‘Sank-Ont’ in French or like ‘Fifty’ in English.
- You need to be aware of similar words, as 50 consists of only one syllable instead of two.
21 to 40 Spelling
It is good to be an expert in writing complex double digits numbers.
- You should use a hyphen between the numbers with no spaces like twenty-one, forty-five, etc.
- We are required to watch the syllables and use them accordingly during pronouncing the number.
- You can spell numbers from 21-40 in the following way- twenty-one, thirty-six, thirty, forty, etc.
There are two ways to write 100 as ‘One Hundred’ or ‘A Hundred’ depends on the requirement of the write-up.
- You are advised to use one and a before a hundred according to the unit of measure.
- We can use ‘One’ in place of ‘A’ before a hundred as per the rhythm observed in the sentence. You are required to use ordinal numbers in case of units, like a hundredth place.
How do You Spell 20?
While communicating, it is necessary to spell the number instead of just writing 20. It helps others to understand properly.
- You can spell 20 as ‘Twenty’ in English, ‘Vingt’ in French, ‘Veinte’ in Spanish.
- We can observe, ‘Twenty’ consists of 1 vowel and 5 consonants. You need to use ordinal spelling like twentieth in case of dates, ranks, etc.
To Spell 60
We need to understand how a basic number of spells work.
- You can spell out 60 as ‘Sixty’ in English, ‘Soixante’ in French, ‘Sesenta’ in Spanish.
- You can see that spelling in English is consists of 1 vowel and 4 consonants and in French, 4 vowels and 4 consonants.
- In the case of ranks, you can use sixtieth to spell out your rank 60. Sixty is easy to spell as it has the number root plus the rhyming end.
To Spell 1-19
These are considered as single digits as these are unique and required to understand separately.
- We must understand that from 1-19, 6 are prime numbers and rest are composite numbers except 1.
- You can spell out 1-one, 2-two, 3-three, 4-four, 5-five, 6-six, 7-seven, 8-eight, 9-nine, 10-ten, 11-eleven, 12-twelve, 13-thirteen, 14-fourteen, 15-fifteen, 16-sixteen, 17-seventeen, 18-eighteen, and 19-nineteen.
- You should know that writing ranks and dates modify the spelling like 14-fourteenth, 17-seventeenth, etc.
Spelling Out Numbers with Currency
Money is a very sensitive issue. Everyone is working for money and thus people want to avoid any conflict regarding money so they prefer to spell out the amount.
- You can use numerical values while writing but we have to spell out clearly when we are selling or purchasing anything.
- You can write 50p, numerically INR 0.50 but you have to spell it out as fifty pence. Similarly, with 50¢ as $0.50 numerically but spell out as 50 cents.
- Spelling numbers with currency is important in daily life transactions. Hence, you must know it well.
- In case if you are editing or reviewing a document for its style consistency, you need to find the word and replace it accordingly. But be careful to use the same style in the rest of the document.
- You should practice tongue twisters to adapt any kind of accept required for the pronunciation of the number and improve the acquired pronunciation.
- In case of days of the week, months, and dates you need to follow certain rules and add certain suffix at the end of the number and follow ordinal numbers like; 1st-first, 2nd-second, 3rd-third, 4th-fourth, 5th-fifth, 6th– sixth, 7th-seventh, 8th-eighth, 9th-ninth, 10th-tenth.