Deadbolt locks are usually useful in safekeeping important valuables. The most common manufactured type of deadbolt lock is the “pin and tumbler.”
This kind of deadbolt lock is usually used for a single cylinder deadbolt. If you forgot or lost your saved record of the password key, then you cannot open the deadbolt.
Here’s what you can do to unlock it when this happens:
Use a bump key
Step 1: Do some shopping at a hardware store and look for a bump key set that you can use to unlock the deadbolt. But if you have a friend who has one, you can also borrow instead of buying a new one to save some money.
Step 2: Then have the bump key all set up. All you need to do is attach the bumper key into the deadbolt lock socket.
Step 3: Go ahead and get your toolbox. Grab a screwdriver or any tool to snap the end of the key all through the door. The snapping force you’ve just exerted is capable of turning the key that can successfully unlock the deadbolt lock.
Step 4: Try opening it and then figure out how to set up a new lock key so you can use the deadbolt again.
Use some bobby pins to unlock it
Step 1: Get yourself two of your bobby pins. Pick the ones that are sturdy so it won’t break so easily.
Step 2: Then carefully insert the first bobby pin inside the deadbolt lock key socket. Make sure you insert it in the lower part of the lock socket.
Step 3: Grab the second bobby pin and break it in half, then move it on top of the deadbolt lock socket and try moving it all the way through pulling and pushing the bobby pin.
Step 4: The back and forth movement with the bobby pins will help the deadbolt lock to be unlocked.
Step 5: If it fails to unlock, take out both of the bobby pins and repeat the same steps again. Then make a few attempts until you’ve unlocked the deadbolt lock.
A few important things to consider
- Yes, having a secured vault to protect your valuables is a good thing, but it’s also a huge responsibility. You can’t just misplace or entrust the password key of your bolt to someone you don’t trust.
- To prevent yourself from forgetting your password key or from misplacing it, here’s what you can do:
- Write the password key on a small paper and keep it somewhere that you can easily remember. So just in case you forget about it, you can always get the little note that you kept.
- Save the password key on your phone. If you have a note app and have a lock feature, then save it over there. It will be perfectly safe, and you will have easy access when you need it the most.
- Email the password key to yourself and entitle it as a secret key and save it in one of your folders. Remember not to send it to someone else in your contact accidentally or it else they will use it for their advantage.
- Have your password keys all uniform. If you’re the type of person that can easily forget or is having a hard time keeping multiple password keys, then might as well have it all uniformed. It’s better to memorize the same passwords for all your essential locked items. Just make sure that it’s a unique one, so it won’t be easier to copy or hack by other people.
- Do not let other access people access the bump key you just borrowed or purchased to open your vault. Some people have bad intentions that you don’t have any idea about, and they might use it to open someone else’s. Bump keys that were taken for granted are one of the reasons why burglary happens all the time. Make sure you keep it away from other people’s access and store it inside your room’s cabinet. Just take it out when you need it.
- Do not force the vault to open up, or you would end up messing up the deadbolt lock. If one of the methods we’ve presented above is not working, then don’t force it. Maybe the vault was manufactured differently. Take into consideration that not all vaults are the same. One method might work on one vault and might not on the other.
- If it’s still not opening after so many attempts, then it would be about time to contact a professional. Some services or agencies do an excellent job of helping you open up your locked deadbolt. You may ask a family member or friend’s advice to ask for a referral for excellent agencies that can do the job.
Can a deadbolt lock be picked?
Can you unlock a deadbolt with a credit card?
How do you unlock a deadbolt with a knife?
How do you bypass a deadbolt lock?
How do you open a deadbolt with a screwdriver?
How do you unlock a one sided deadbolt lock?
How do you open a locked car with a flathead screwdriver?
How do I manually open my trunk?
How do you override a trunk release?
If your car does not have a trunk release button, it may have fold-down rear seats. If so, you simply have to fold the seats down and wiggle your way into the trunk to access the keys.
How do you remove a trunk lock?
What do you do if your trunk doesn’t open?
Why does my trunk not open with button?
Why is my automatic trunk not working?
Is there a trunk release button?
Where is the emergency trunk release?
An extra trunk release cable is installed directly to the trunk latch. When activated, the trunk opens immediately. Step 1: Locate the trunk latch. The most common location is at the joint of the trunk lid and the car’s body, right in the center.