If you are in the business of woodworking or have had to work with wood to create a wooden object for personal use, a router is a basic requirement to execute the project. In other words, you will need to install a router on a table to fabricate the product to your liking.
What is a Router?
The router is a very useful tool. What it does is allow the worker to create shapes out of the wood of one’s choice. In addition, even graphite and fiberglass can be cut with it. It uses electricity to spin the object at high speed and create a hollow and sharpen edges on the outside. Therefore, a worker is easily able to create shapes as required with the help of a router.
- It can cut wood and even hard substances like graphite and fiberglass.
- You need to spin a router at a very high speed to create a hollow or smoothen the edges of the object.
- It helps the worker to create shapes of choice.
What is a Router Table?
A router table is a table specially designed to mount a router to fabricate wood into shapes and sizes of your choice. In other words, it allows the worker to work to the minutest detail of the woodwork and create it to perfection. Therefore, with the help of a router mounted on a table, you can perform cuts that may not be possible otherwise. What this table does is help you mount the router on it and give you the flexibility to create objects according to your need and choice. Initially, workers worked with hand-held routers. With time the requirements changed. In addition, mounting a router on a router table allowed the worker the flexibility to create shapes hitherto considered impossible.
- It brings stability to the router used for cutting wood and other hard objects.
- The table gives flexibility to the worker to work with difficult angles. Initially, hand-held routers were used.
- With a change in the requirement, routers needed to be fixed at a place. Router tables were designed to execute this requirement.
How to Set-Up a Router Table?
To achieve optimal results from a table used to mount a router, you need to install it efficiently. For instance, the table should be stable in the first place. In other words, a wobbly router table, one with uneven legs or a rough surface will hinder running the object on the router. Secondly, the electric point should be within reach to switch it on and off easily. In other words, timing is essential while giving perfection to a shape. Therefore, the right time to press the on and off switch is critical to attaining perfection in the final product. Finally, the router should be fixed properly to the table. In other words, it should give enough space and time to align the object perfectly.
- It is critical to install a router table perfectly to achieve efficient results. The table should be stable.
- For instance, the floor, and surface have to be even.
- In addition, the legs of the table must be of equal size. Even a millimeter of difference can be the difference between a perfect and not so perfect cut.
- Finally, fix the router on the table perfectly.
What are the Uses of a Router Table?
A router table with a perfectly installed router can help a woodworker fabricate wood pieces according to choice and perfection. It works on the simple principle of helping a worker cut a piece of wood or in some cases even harder objects like fiberglass and graphite to a shape and size of choice with precision. What it helps is to trim and cut edges perfectly. In addition, you can create a hollow and smooth the inner sides for polishing and fitting. Furthermore, you can make grooves in two objects and join them into one piece.
- Finally, you can create a variety of finished products once the router table and the router installed on it work perfectly in tandem. You can create panel doors of your choice. A router table helps create grooves of specific design and size for a door fitting.
- In addition, it helps achieve consistency in commercial furniture. For instance, all cuts, and edges of a piece of furniture will be consistent if the chunk has been cut with the help of a router installed on a router.
- Finally, a router gives you a lot more flexibility to make changes per the requirement of a finished product. In other words, you can keep changing it until you attain perfection.
How it Help?
- It helps a worker to fabricate wood pieces according to the requirement. In addition, fiberglass and graphite too can be cut and shaped.
- A router installed on a router table helps in trimming the sides. Perfect edges can be achieved.
- You can create hollows in the wood chunks to perfection. Finally, you can fit 2 chunks into 1 larger piece by creating a groove in them.
- It is useful in creating door panels. You can customize the grooves of a door according to the shape and width required.
- A router table helps a router attain consistency in the manufacture of commercial furniture.
- Finally, it gives the flexibility to make changes until a perfect product has been made.
How to Use a Router Table as a Jointer?
For the purpose of creating 1 large piece of wood, you need to join 2 or maybe more than 2 pieces. To execute this you have to ensure the edges are smooth. A router helps in creating the right joints for this purpose. For instance, you need a router to ensure the edges are smooth and they mirror each other. And a router installed on a table is the perfect requirement for it. The simplest method to do so is to smooth the joints, glue them, and clamp them till the glue dries.
- A router helps create perfect joints for producing a single piece from multiple chunks.
- The router makes the edges smooth and mirrors the pieces to perfection. Once the router has done its work, just glue the edges and clamp them.
What are the Advantages of Using a Router Table?
Using a router fixed on a table has many distinct advantages from a hand-held router. Most importantly, it helps you work without any stress on your hands. Therefore, you are able to work for longer periods of time. In turn, it increases your productivity. A router table helps the router to cut the pieces to precision with accurate cuts. In addition, a fixed router has the ability to help the worker create patterns, shapes, and sizes that may not be possible with a hand-held router. For instance, you can create many geometrical designs with the help of a fixed router. Finally, with a router table, you can use your router to customize the depths of your cuts.
- A router fixed on a table relieves stress on hands. Therefore, with more time on hand, productivity increases.
- In addition, chunks of wood can be cut to precision. You can also, customize the depths in the cuts.
- Finally, a fixed router helps you create designs that may not be possible with a hand-held router.
- The router should be perfectly fixed on a stable table. This will help you use both your hands to customize the chunks according to the requirement.
- A router table gives the advantage of maneuvering chunks of wood easily. Therefore, keep this knowledge handy while creating shapes.
- To achieve perfection, ensure the table surface is smooth, the floor even, and the legs of the table equal.
What can I do with a router table?
How do you set up a router table?
How do you use a portable router table?
- Choose a Router Bit. We’ll need to choose a bit with the profile for the type of cut we want to make.
- Change a Router Bit. Always unplug the router before changing a bit.
- Set the Height of the Bit. Next, we’ll set the height of the bit.
- Set the Fence.
- Test the Setup.
What direction do you feed the wood when using the router table?
On a router table, bits spin counterclockwise. For routing the outside edges of a work- piece then, you‘ll feed the wood from the right side of the table to the left side. Doing this forces the bit to push the wood back against you.
Should you push or pull a router?
What speed should I run my router?
How can I reduce the speed of my router?
|Bit Diameter||Maximum Speed|
|Up to 1 inch||24,000 rpm|
|1 to 2 inches||18,000 rpm|
|2 to 2-1/2 inches||16,000 rpm|
|2-1/2 to 3-1/2 inches||12,000 rpm|