Are you ready to get tanned? Here are some steps to help you make the most out of a tanning bed:
Know your skin type first
It’s very important to know your skin type and tanning abilities before getting into a tanning bed to avoid getting sunburn. Your skin type will determine the number of sessions you need to establish a base tan and how long you’ll need to spend on the tanning bed for each session. There are five categories for skin types beginning from the lightest up to the darkest:
- Type 1. This is very white or pale with many freckles, red hair and blue or green eyes. It is the most sensitive so tanning must be done carefully to avoid burning.
- Type 2. This is light beige with some freckles, light brown or blonde hair and blue or green eyes. It has a strong tendency to burn so tanning must be done carefully.
- Type 3. This is light brown with brown hair and eyes. It tans easily although it could still burn easily.
- Type 4. This is light brown or olive with dark brown hair and eyes. It tans very easily with a little chance of burning.
- Type 5. This is brown skin with dark brown hair and eyes. It is the easiest to tan and rarely burns.
Know what to wear
Tanning salons don’t require you to be naked while lying in a tanning bed, but it is recommended for an even tan. The general rule here is to wear what you’re comfortable with. Some people tan completely naked while others wear a bikini, underwear or tanning stickers.
It’s also very important to put on the right protective eyewear to keep your eyes safe from too much UV exposure. Some people just close their eyes but then tend to forget at some point and open them.
Your best chance is to put on a towel or ask your tanning salon for disposable protective eyewear. You can also buy tanning goggles if you do this regularly.
Know what lotion to use
There are a lot of tanning lotions for you to choose from. But if you are to get a very good tan, you need to look for something with a moisturizer to prevent your skin from drying out. If you want to add more color to your tan, you can also go for a lotion that contains an intensifier or bronzer to add to your complexion.
When applying lotion, try to take your time and make sure that you apply it evenly on your skin to avoid getting an uneven tan. You can also start out by buying sample sizes of tanning lotions to try and see if they work out well for you or not before committing to an entire bottle.
Know how long you should be in the tanning bed
Most tanning salons will have a dermatologist or specialist who will tell you how long you need to be in the tanning bed. But in case they don’t, you need to refer to your skin type to know.
If it’s your first time and you burn easily, start with a Level One or Two tanning bed for just five minutes. If that doesn’t burn, you can increase your time in the next session. You can also ask your tanning salon about the different beds they have.
Tanning beds usually range from Level One to Four and you can increase levels as you become more accustomed to tanning.
Try to move around
While inside the tanning bed, you don’t have to stay perfectly still the whole time. In fact, you need to move around to make sure that all parts of your body are exposed to the UV rays.
Try to prop your head slightly or use a pillow to make sure that your neck is exposed to avoid white lines or tanning wrinkles.
How do you use a tanning bed for beginners?
- Take a shower and exfoliate using an abrasive soap or scrubbing sponge.
- Use a high quality tanning lotion.
- Do not burn.
- Wear goggles while in the tanning bed.
- Wait at least 48 hours in between tanning sessions.
- Use a tan extender after tanning.
- Tan in moderation and be responsible about tanning.
How long does it take to see results from a tanning bed?
How are you supposed to lay in a tanning bed?
How long should you go on a sunbed for the first time?
What is 10 minutes in a tanning bed equal to?
Can you take your phone in a tanning bed?
Should I shower after tanning bed?
How can I get darker in a tanning bed fast?
What happens if you open your eyes in a tanning bed?
Can I just close my eyes in a tanning bed?
How do you prevent raccoon eyes in a tanning bed?
Can tanning beds make you go blind?
Is it bad to go in a tanning bed without goggles?
Why are my eyes blurry after tanning bed?
What happens if you use a tanning bed without goggles?
What can I use if I don’t have tanning goggles?
How do you apply eye stickers to tan?
What is the best stand-up tanning bed?
Ads by Google