Lung capacity depends on the maximum amount of air held by the lungs during their normal breathing process. A reduction in overall lung capacity can cause lots of health issues.
Fortunately, there are some effective ways to restore one’s lung capacity to a certain level. Mentioned below are 6 effective ways to strengthen your lungs and thereby improve the longevity of your respiratory system.
Belly Breathing is an effective technique that can strengthen the muscles of the abdomen and diaphragm. These muscles play a vital role in breathing as they support the lungs to inhale, retain, and exhale more air.
It is also known as diaphragmatic breathing. To perform this breathing exercise you need to lie down and inhale deeply by expanding your belly as much as possible. Wait for 2 seconds before breathing out and then purse your lips and slowly exhale.
You can practice costal breathing for strengthening the muscles around the rib cage. It is a superior version of our normal breathing.
- You can sit in a relaxed position to perform this exercise but make sure that your back remains straight.
- Inhale slowly and deeply by expanding the chest muscles.
- Hold your breath for few seconds and breathe out gradually.
- The exhaling phase should be longer than the time taken to inhale. You can repeat the process for 4 to 5 times and in a few days increase the count up to 10.
Walking is a safe and most effective exercise that can be performed by anyone without any age restriction. Find a clean route for walking which is nearly free from pollution.
Choose morning hours whenever possible. Walk as fast as you can for around 20 to 30 minutes. Practice brisk walking daily to augment the capacity of your lungs to breath in more air.
The regular exposure to the outside environment will also boost your overall immunity. Note that you should practice brisk walking on an empty stomach. Walking right after a meal or breakfast can make the breathing process heavier.
Jogging is a cardiovascular exercise that can quickly improve the working of your lungs. Jogging can also be practiced on a treadmill. However, if you have any underlying health issue, you should get the permission of your physician before starting with this exercise regimen. Jogging has multiple benefits and is an effective medium for boosting the levels of oxygen absorbed by your body.
If you are bored of doing regular exercises or jogging, you can always resort to aerobics. It is a fun-filled way to boost your lung capacity. By practicing 30 minutes of aerobics, you can experience lots of changes within a weeks’ time.
It is one of the best activities that increase blood circulation and naturally strengthens every part of your body including your lungs. Note that people suffering from any kind of underlying ailments like arthritis or hypertension should avoid this activity.
There are certain fruits and vegetables that you should include in your regular diet to maintain your overall lung capacity. This includes food items that are rich in antioxidants. Grapes, apples, walnuts, apricots, beans, broccoli, and fatty fish are some of the best foods that can aid your efforts in improving your lung capacity.
It is believe that human lungs are capable of holding 6 liters of air. However, the overall capacity of the lungs tends to diminish as a person ages. Besides aging, there are other factors like lifestyle and diseases that can affect our lung capacity in different ways. Nevertheless, by following the above remedies you can regain your lost lung capacity within a few months.
Is it possible to increase lung capacity?
What is the best exercise to increase lung capacity?
How can I get more oxygen to my lungs?
- Get fresh air. Open your windows and go outside.
- Drink water. In order to oxygenate and expel carbon dioxide, our lungs need to be hydrated and drinking enough water, therefore, influences oxygen levels.
- Eat iron-rich foods.
- Train your breathing.
What foods help repair lungs?
How can I repair my lungs naturally?
- Steam therapy. Steam therapy, or steam inhalation, involves inhaling water vapor to open the airways and help the lungs drain mucus.
- Controlled coughing.
- Drain mucus from the lungs.
- Green tea.
- Anti-inflammatory foods.
- Chest percussion.
Which fruit is better for lungs?
What can I drink to detox my lungs?
- Honey and hot water. This powerful drink can help detoxify the body and fight off the effects of pollutants.
- Green tea.
- Cinnamon water.
- Ginger and turmeric drink.
- Mulethi tea.
- Apple, beetroot, carrot smoothie.
Is turmeric good for lungs?
Which juice is better for lungs?
What herbs cleanse the lungs?
- Peppermint. Peppermint isn’t just a delicious additive that can provide a pop of flavor to your favorite dishes and teas.
- Osha Root.
- Plantain Leaf.
Is Apple good for lungs?
Is coffee good for lungs?
Is cucumber good for lungs?
In fact, oxidative stress caused by free radicals has been associated with cancer and heart, lung and autoimmune disease ( 4 ). Fruits and vegetables, including cucumbers, are especially rich in beneficial antioxidants that may reduce the risk of these conditions.