Breakdance has been around for long but it has evolved with the times.
With b-boying and hip-hop techniques, this particular dance style has taken on new forms than what we have seen in the eighties.
If you wish to learn modern techniques of breakdance, here are some essential guidelines that can help you get started.
- Prepare yourself Physically
If you are a beginner to any dance form, there is a certain level of physical fitness that you need before you attempt the steps. In case of breakdance that requires much flexibility and going up and down on the floor on all fours, be sure to enhance your flexibility by doing adequate warm-up exercises:
- You can start by basic stretches and follow up with a quick sprint to get your body warmed up. As breakdance is all about having command over your joints, stretch and relax your arms and legs adequately first.
- The next aspect you need to look into is your strength level. If you are an adequately fit individual and are used to the strength training regime, then getting into a breakdance routine would be easy. However, if not, train yourself in basic strength and interval training exercises.
- Do short spurts of sprints, lunges, push-ups. Incorporate such exercise regime in your daily routine for a few days before you try to breakdance routines.
- Get Accustomed to Loose, Fluid Movements
In order to pick up breakdance style fast, get used to losing, fluid dance movements. If you are stiff and unsure of how to begin, simply follow certain basic hip-hop videos to get started.
Replicate the moves they make:
- How the legs are bent at the knees and you bop up and down;
- How the hands are coordinated at the same time are some of the different ways you can pick up the overall style of such dances.
Since hip hop and b-boying are similar to breakdance, check out their basic styles and try to copy the moves to get familiar with the style.
- Start with Basic Steps
There is a three-step dance form that is usually shown to beginners who wish to learn breakdance. The three steps comprise of moving in a circle:
- You start with an upright stance, legs slightly bent at the knees.
- Start with a leg extended in front and then switch to the other leg, bringing the first leg back to standing position. You would be doing this in a push-up position.
- Arm switches also occur; check basic video tutorials to see how the arms are spread out and brought back in sync with the legs as well.
In order to get the style, try and copy and practice the leg and arm movement a couple of times to get it right. It would be best if you stand in front of a mirror to see how your movements look versus what is shown in the tutorial videos.
- Corkscrew Move
This is another boy move that is also a signature style in breakdance. Corkscrew up is a cool way to move up from the ground. This particular move is done in different ways. However what you need is to have the strength to move up from the floor and be able to spin upwards. What you need to incorporate is the right balance and strength to do so.
There are tutorial videos that showcase this move; the best is to check the one that is shown for beginners. Pause or run it in slow motion to understand how the legs and arms are used. Try the same several times till you feel you are able to replicate the same as smoothly as possible.
- Learn the Baby Freeze Step
This is another iconic step of breakdance. It draws attention to the footwork that a dancer showcases and also requires a show of strength and balance as you freeze at difficult positions. Check how a baby freeze is done that is easy to start with. Understand the moves from a video and try to replicate the same.
- Put all the Steps Together
Finally, when you have mastered these three basic techniques, you can form a small dance routine by putting all the steps together. This can be done by combining the 3 steps in different combinations.
You could repeat one step several times and then do another or try doing a floor routine, get up and do the basic step movement before you move on the floor again. Check different dance routines that are showcased on videos to get an idea.
- Choose your Music
- Nothing motivates like the right music. In order to be inspired to pick up breakdance the best, you can choose the right music.
- Nowadays there are different music tracks that accompany hip-hop and b-boying dance styles.
- Choose a music track that inspires you and a dance routine that seems easy to pick up. Once you understand how dance moves are being incorporated with music, you can be inspired to add on new moves to your dance routine and explore other music tracks as well.
- There are many online videos and tutorials that can help you get started with breakdance moves.
- Ensure that you have trained and warmed up adequately before you try any of the moves, especially floor based dance moves. To be sure that you are doing the steps right and to prevent injury to yourself, it is best to enroll with an experienced dance professional.