If there’s a saying, “if it fits like a glove,” you need to get your measurements right. Here, we have a few useful steps to help you measure the right glove size.
Learn about the different types of gloves
Gloves are primarily made to protect your hands while working and they come in different types depending on what you’re using them for:
- Coated fabric gloves. These are gloves coated with PVC, nitrile or polyurethane that offers protection from cuts, chemicals and punctures.
- Cotton or fabric gloves. These are the most common pairs of gloves that you can find and they offer the least protection to your hands because they are thin and very lightweight. They can only protect you from splinters or minor scrapes but not from burns, cuts and punctures.
- Rubber, plastic or latex gloves. You see these gloves in laboratories and medical settings because they offer strong protection from chemicals, biohazard substances and solvents that are mostly present in these areas. These gloves are also form fitted making them comfortable to use, but they cannot protect you from flames or sharp objects.
- Leather gloves. These are some of the most durable pairs of gloves that you can find because they are insulated, durable and offer a good grip. Since leather gloves are thicker than your typical fabric, they can offer excellent protection to the hands.
- Kevlar gloves. The Kevlar is synonymous with durability making these gloves the best choice for industrial purposes. Kevlar gloves are resistant to punctures and cuts but they are also lightweight enough to be used comfortably.
Learn how to measure across your hand
Glove sizing is an important step in making sure that you can wear your gloves comfortably and safely. To determine your exact glove size, you have to start by measuring across your hand.
Take a fabric tape measure and wrap it around the widest part of your hand. Make sure that you are measuring your dominant hand to get your measurements right. The fabric tape measure should around your hand at its fullest part without including the thumb.
Learn how to measure the height of your hand
After measuring across your hand, you have to measure your hand lengthwise to determine its exact height. Do this by spreading your hand and fingers and putting the tape measure at the tip of your middle finger.
Then, you have to run the tape measure down to the base of your hand ending at the spot where your wrist begins.
Learn how to determine your exact glove size
Now that you have your measurements, choose the larger numbers and round them up, which leaves you with two numbers in inches.
Since some glove manufacturers will indicate letters for sizes instead of numbers, you may need to buy gloves according to what your measurements are in a glove size chart. We gathered the common conversions for gloves here.
Men’s glove sizes:
- Extra small (XS): 7 ½ inches below
- Small (S): 7 ½ to 8 ½ inches
- Medium (M): 8 ½ to 9 ½ inches
- Large (L): 9 ½ to 10 ½ inches
- Extra large (XL): 10 ½ to 11 ½ inches
- Double extra large (XXL): 11 ½ inches and above
Women’s glove sizes:
- Extra small (XS): 6 ½ inches below
- Small (S): 6 ½ to 7 inches
- Medium (M): 7 to 7 ½ inches
- Large (L): 7 ½ to 8 inches
- Extra large (XL): 8 and above
- Double extra large (XXL): N/A
If you are buying gloves from a specific brand, you can ask for their glove sizing chart to see if they’re the same with what you typically use. If not, you just have to convert your size according to their chart.
How do I find my glove size?
What size is 7.5 in gloves?
|Measurement around Palm (inches)||Glove Size||Geier Mitten Size|
What is a medium glove size?
|US Sizes||EU Sizes|
|6 – 7 Inches||XS||152 – 178 Milimeters|
|7 – 8 Inches||S||178 – 203 Milimeters|
|8 – 9 Inches||M||203 – 229 Milimeters|
|9 – 10 Inches||L||229 – 254 Milimeters|
What is my surgical glove size?
|Exam Glove Size||Surgical Glove Size|
What size is 5.5 in gloves?
|Circumference / in cm||13||16.5|
What is a big hand size?
How to choose gloves based on your hand size.
|Hand size (the largest measurement of either length or circumference)||Glove size|
Does a man’s hand size matter?
How big are MJ’s hands?
Can hand size predict height?
The researchers found that hand length can predict height. They also found that doctors can use hand length to determine a person’s body mass index (BMI). This may be of value in situations where obtaining an accurate height measurement for a BMI calculation is not possible.
How can I increase my hand size?
- Make a fist, wrapping your thumb across the outside of your fingers.
- Hold this position for 1 minute, and then open your hand.
- Spread your fingers as wide as you can for 10 seconds.
- Repeat 3 to 5 times with each hand.
Does foot and hand size determine height?
What is the average hand size for a 13 year old?
What is my hand size?
What are considered small hands?
What do small hands on a woman mean?
Do tall guys have bigger?
Why do I have big hands and feet for a girl?
All are classic signs of acromegaly, a hormonal disorder that occurs in adults when the pituitary gland makes too much growth hormone.