For healthy plants, it is important to provide them with a good environment. The roots should be strong enough and extra protection should be provided during the tender stage. This helps them to grow properly and if proper nutrition is provided, they grow strong.
- Provide a Proper Environment
It is important that the plants are kept in a proper environment for healthy growth and sustainability.
- Make use of good soil to provide sufficient nutrition. Let the soil be loose to six inches. Add some organic matter such as moss, manure or compost to it.
- Mix it all well. Ensure that the plants are not covered with a thick blanket of soil. The soil layer for the newly sown seeds should not be more than one fourth inch layer of soil. Test the soil composition.
- By testing the soil, you’ll be able to pick the correct fertilizer required. You may add a few nutrients and create the best balance needed for faster growth of the plants.
- Selecting Between Organic and Non-Organic Fertilizer
If a non-organic fertilizer is used, proper care should be taken that it satisfies the nutrient requirements of the soil.
- But the organic fertilizers are hard to gauge as they have varying proportions of nutrients.
- The fertilizers that are inorganic provide nutrients immediately as compared to organic fertilizers.
- The organic fertilizers require a long time to release into the soil, though it may be healthier.
- Select Between the Liquid and Granular Fertilizers
The fertilizers that are granular are available in the form of small pellets and have a coating of resin. They are similar to organic fertilizers as they take a long time to release nutrients into the soil and are considered the best for long term projects.
- While the liquid fertilizers like inorganic fertilizers help the plants grow faster. But these liquid fertilizers have to be sprayed in every few weeks and proper care of the plants must be taken.
- Also, liquid fertilizers are comparatively expensive. So depending on the urgency of how faster one wants the plants to grow, one can select granular or liquid fertilizer.
- Test the Number of Nutrients Available in the Fertilizers
It is important to know the nutrients and their amounts provided by a fertilizer. Generally, plants require 16 nutrients for proper growth.
- The macronutrients, i.e. three major nutrients are potassium, nitrogen, and phosphorus. The other nutrients required are calcium and magnesium. Besides, the micronutrients that should be availed are cobalt, iron, boron, copper, manganese, zinc and molybdenum. The macronutrients play a major role in the growth of the plants.
- Once known about the different nutrients, determine their portions. A fertilizer bag of 6-12-6 almost 6% of Potassium and Nitrogen and about 12% of Phosphorus. So based on the soil, one must carefully choose the fertilizer.
- Add Fertilizer Uniformly
For the proper growth of the plant, it is important to add the fertilizer uniformly to the soil. For granular fertilizer, one can use a drop spreader.
- The fertilizer should not be spilled on the sidewalks. This prevents the flow of water. Growing the seeds inside: One has to allow the seeds to grow inside. They take about 4 to 12 weeks to sprout. Later they start growing into plants.
- But before that, the seeds can be grown into the containers with soil filled 2 to 4 inches deep. Use moss and vermiculite in it too. They should also have a drainage hole for air circulation of the soil.
- Use of wood ash. There is a high alkaline content in wood ash that neutralizes the acidic soil. So, it can be beneficial for the growth of the plant. Use bananas. One can bury the banana peels into the soil.
- They enrich the soil and strengthen the growing plants. Use compost tea. By using a strong dose of compost tea, it can be seen that there is a vibrancy of growth in the plants. It is beneficial to brew it into liquid and then pour into the soil. Use club soda.
- The club soda is basically carbonated water with macronutrients and hydrogen, phosphorus, carbon, oxygen, sulfur, potassium, and sodium.
- It was even proved by a research conducted by the University of Colorado Boulder. But while pouring into the soil, first let go of the fizzy water.
- Provide Light
When growing the indoor plants, it is important to provide them with sufficient light. One can use high-density discharge lights.
- They are available in two kinds of metals namely, High sodium and halides of metal. The bulbs of metal halide have the strongest light because of the blue end of the spectrum.
- Due to this, leafy growth can be observed. But HPS bulbs last long. Make use of coffee grounds. Because of caffeine present in coffee, coffee grounds boost the growth of plants. They contain the key nutrient – nitrogen.
- One can also use egg shells. The eggshells are rich in calcium and so can be used to put into the soil. They should be rinsed and crushed and afterward added into the soil. This is one effective way of growing plants too.
- Another tip that you can consider is having the seeds of the plant bought from a good store which will ensure that it grows to be a good one.