If you want to make sure that the files on your hard drive are kept private, you will need to password protect the folders you wish to secure. There are numerous methods of doing this, and this article will delve into each one. The more you learn about how to password protect your folders, the easier it will be to keep your files out of the wrong hands.
- Disk Utility
The first method that you can use to password protect certain folders on your Mac computer is to use the Disk Utility feature.
- Open up the Disk Utility app on your computer. You can find it in Spotlight or the Applications folder.
- Navigate to File, then New Image, and Image from Folder. You may also simply press the Shift, Command, and N buttons on your keyboard at the same time.
- Next you will need to choose the folder that you want to put a password on.
- Choose a name for the folder you want to password protect as well as the location it will be saved.
- Select the 128-bit AES Encryption option and fill in the password you want to use.
- Select the Image Format you want to use. There is Read Only, Compressed, Hybrid Image, and Read/Write.
- Click the Save button.
- Wait for the encryption process to finish. This could take a few minutes. When you receive the confirmation message, navigate to the location where you saved the image.
- Type in the password in the window that appears. You will now be able to view the contents of the protected folder.
- Macpaw Hider
There are numerous third-party apps that you can use to password protect your Mac folders, and Macpaw Hider is one of the best. This app will allow you to protect folders and individual files with a password of your choosing. You will even be able to choose the encryption method that you want to use. It has a very user-friendly interface that you shouldn’t have any problems navigating.
OpenSSL is a utility that is already on your Mac computer that can be used to password protect your folders. This is a great way to ensure that your files stay private at all times.
- Launch the Terminal on your computer and type in “openssl aes-256-cbc -in ~/Desktop/Photo.jpg -out ~/Desktop/Encrypted.file”
- Next type in “–in ~/Desktop/folderyouwanttoprotect”
- Type in the password when you are prompted on the Terminal screen.
- Confirm the password when you are asked to.
- You will now be able to see your encrypted file or folder on your desktop.
You can also use Concealer, which is a powerful tool that is built into every Mac. It will allow you to encrypt any files or folders you want to protect. This tool uses 256-bit encryption, so you can be completely certain that your folders will be safe from prying eyes. You can choose the password you want to use.
Encrypto is another third-party program that you can use to password protect files and folders, and you can get it in the App Store.
- Install Encrypto on your computer.
- Launch the program and drag the folder you want to protect into the window beneath the down arrow.
- Type in the password you wish to use for your folder.
- Once you have entered an adequate password, click the orange Encrypt button. The encryption process will take a few minutes.
- When the folder has been encrypted, drag the archive to a safe location on your hard drive.
Can you password protect a folder on a Mac?
Can you add a password to a folder?
How do you password protect files on a Mac?
How do you password protect a folder on a Mac without Disk Utility?
Then after that, type in the password that you have set earlier. Choose the Encrypt button located in the Hide And Encrypt. You can also drag a file and then press the “Encrypt” button. By this time, the file won’t be seen by others.
How do I encrypt a file with a password?
- Click the File tab.
- Click Info.
- Click Protect Document, and then click Encrypt with Password.
- In the Encrypt Document box, type a password, and then click OK.
- In the Confirm Password box, type the password again, and then click OK.
Why can’t I password protect a folder?
How do I encrypt a folder?
- Select the file or folder you want to encrypt.
- Right-click the file or folder, and click Properties.
- On the General tab, click the Advanced button.
- Check the box for the Encrypt contents to secure data option.
- Click Apply and then OK.
How do I send an encrypted folder?
What happens when I encrypt a folder?
Why would you encrypt a file?
How do I hide a folder?
- Find the file or folder you want to hide.
- Right-click it, and select “Properties.”
- In the menu that appears, check the box that’s labeled “Hidden.”
- Click “OK” at the bottom of the window.
- Your file or folder is now hidden.
How do I hide a folder on my laptop?
How do I hide a folder on my Mac desktop?
How do you create a folder?
- With your document open, click File > Save As.
- Under Save As, select where you want to create your new folder.
- In the Save As dialog box that opens, click New Folder.
- Type the name of your new folder, and press Enter.
- Click Save.
How do I hide pictures and videos on my laptop?
- Select the files or folders you want to hide.
- Right-click and choose Properties.
- Click the General tab.
- Click the checkbox next to Hidden in the Attributes section.
- Click Apply.
How can I lock a folder of pictures on my laptop?
- In Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder you want to password–protect. Right-click on the folder.
- Select Properties from the menu.
- Click the Advanced button, then select Encrypt content to secure data.
- Double-click the the folder to ensure you can access it.
Ads by Google