While it is easy and straight forward to remove apps from other non- iOS devices, the task of eliminating Safari from the iPhones may be easier when said but a bit complicated when you take it into the practical way. Since Safari is a system app, it would be impossible to delete it by using regular iPhone settings.
Fortunately, we’ve made the task easy through the following three tips.
Delete your browsing history and data
Since it would be effortless to remove the Safari icon from the home screen, you should narrow down to the actual contents associated with the app, such as logins and the browsing data. Also, you can clear Safari’s contents from your phone before you can remove the app, isn’t it possible? Yes, very likely by following the steps below.
- Choose “settings” option from the home screen of your phone.
- Locate Safari and tap on it to open more options
- Scroll down the list and tap on “Clear History and Website Data” and the iPhone will appear prompting you to “Clear History and Data” with another option for “Cancel.”
- Tap on the red option for “Clear History and Data” and the iPhone will sweep off all the Safari data and history. With that done, you can proceed to the next tip.
Disable your Safari app
- Go back to the iPhone’s “Setting” for the second time and tap to view the options
- Scroll down the list and tap on the “Screen Time.”
- Tap on the “Content & Privacy Restrictions” and enable it by switching on the switch next to the option. With the content and privacy restrictions enabled, you are good to proceed to the next step.
- Tap on the “Allowed Apps” option and disable Safari by tapping on the button next to it.
Restart your iPhone
Once you are through with the process of removing Safari app from your phone, it is always a good idea to restart your iPhone to effect the changes made in the settings of your iPhone. At times, you may be through with the procedure for removing Safari but find the app still in the home screen. It isn’t a miracle. And that’s why restarting the iPhone is essential.
Bearing in mind that Safari app is in-built, you cannot permanently delete it. And the above process is reversible. In case you would want to use the app again, you should follow the procedure above and make changes to the previous options to enable the Safari App. If you are using a Mac computer, you can use the three ways highlighted below.
How to Uninstall Safari on Mac Computer
Since you cannot drag Safari icon into the “trash” and call it ‘mission accomplished,’ uninstalling the Safari from your Mac computer may be more complicated compared to removing Safari from your iPhone. Because Safari is one of the components for Apple’s operating system, its viability is under the protection of System Integrity Protection (SIP). The shield helps to protect inexperienced users from interfering with the operating system. However, if you need to remove the Safari application from your Mac, there are three ways to go about it.
Remove Safari from your Mac’s Dock
The method is the easiest when it comes to removing Safari Icon temporarily from your Mac using Mac OS Mojave. Below are the essential steps to follow:
- Close the application if it’s open.
- Click and move the Safari icon outside the Dock towards the desktop.
- When the icon is out of the Dock, a “remove” menu will popup.
- Release the icon, and that’s it. The image will no longer be available on the Dock.
- Replace the removed Safari Icon with another application.
However, the above steps will not delete the original file. After removing the icon, the app files will still exist within your Mac storage. If you want to continue using safari, but avoid frequent crushes, you can remove Safari extensions to make your computer faster through the following steps:
- Click on the “Safari” icon to open it
- Select “Extensions” and scroll down to see the extensions
- Sect the extensions that you want to delete
- Click “ Uninstall” to remove the extensions
Remove Safari from Mac using a terminal
With this alternative way, you can remove Safari from your Mac in the following straightforward steps:
- Close the Safari application if in use.
- Open terminal.
- Type: cd /Applications/
- Follow it by typing: sudo rm -R Safari.app
- Type your password
- Next, type this: cd /private/var/db/receipts/
- Type: ls –al
- With that, Safari BOM’s will appear.
- Remove the BOM’s one after the other by typing: sudo pkgutil –forget PkgNameHere (ex: sudo pkgutil –forget com.apple.pkg.Safari)
Successfully did that? Well, you’re now great to go. However, the above process may cause your Mac operating system to malfunction entirely or partially in other ways. Therefore, be careful with the procedure above.
Uninstall Safari from Mac using a third party’s application ( CleanMyMac)
Using a third party’s app, such as the CleanMyMac will offer you a stress-free means of uninstalling the Safari app with all its parts. If you prefer using the uninstalling app, follow the procedure below:
- Download and install the CleanMyMac app
- Launch the app and confirm if it is functioning without a problem
- Select CleanMyMac on the Top Menu and go to preference
- Click on the “ignore” list and select uninstaller on your left.
- Uncheck “ignore system application.”
- Resume the CleanMyMac and open uninstaller tab.
- Locate Safari on the list and click on “Complete Uninstallation” at the Top
- Click on remove button and the Safari will be no more.
With the third party’s app, you will be able to remove the Safari app from your Mac with a few clicks within a short time. Also, the app helps to clean other lots of junks to free up some gigabytes on your computer.
Even though uninstalling of the apps from your Mac might be a pretty good idea, it may not be the best for the system integrated applications. Anytime you uninstall such apps; you cause some damage to the operating system. As such, the damage may reduce the performance efficiency of your Mac and may also cause a partial or a complete malfunction to the Operating System your computer.