There can be different reasons why Google Chrome might crash. Here we explore the possible reasons and the steps you can take to try fixing the problem:
- Memory Space Limited on Your Computer
This is one of the reasons for which your web browser might malfunction. The steps that you should take are.
- Ensure the apps, extensions and other tabs are closed; this is especially a requirement when several programs are running and memory is inadequate on your computer.
- In order to extend memory space on your computer closes all tabs except the one where you find an error message.
- Quit the programs or apps that are running.
- If any file or app downloads are on then pause them.
- Uninstall extensions that are not necessary.
Once the above steps are taken, you can tap on the erroring tab and try to reload the same.
- Restart Google Chrome
This is another technique to adopt if you find Google Chrome crashing on your computer.
- Close your web browser and then reopen.
- On Windows use command Ctrl + q to restart.
- The command to use on Mac is ⌘ + q; these commands will help to reload the page.
- Reopening the tabs that were open in Windows can be done by the command combination Ctrl + Shift + t.
- The same action can be performed on Mac by using the command combination ⌘ + Shift + t.
- Restart Computer
If you find most of your programs not working right including Google Chrome that crashes when you try to open it, it would be best to restart your computer. Once it has restarted try to run a maintenance program that would identify any errors on the operating system or hard disk and offer you options to fix the same.
- Troubleshooting the Source of Chrome Crashes
In order to get to the source of the problem, you need to check whether malware has infected your web browser or computer. Whether you are on Mac or Windows there are ways to search out and remove software that might be infesting your system. If you have an antivirus program loaded on your computer, run the analytical checks with the software. This, in turn, will help to identify viruses or any malware on your system and recommend fixes for the same.
- Uninstall Chrome and Reinstall it
There could be occur errors in the Chrome software for which the program could be crashing. In order to fix the problem, you could try to uninstall the program and reinstall it as well.
- Chrome uses a user profile at the time of setting up on a computer. If there is a problem with the same then it could crash.
- When you uninstall Chrome you can reinstall it again.
- At the time of reinstallation, you need to check on the option of deleting browsing data.
- Uninstall Extensions and Reinstall Them
If you have extensions on Google Chrome, chances exist that one of them could cause a problem and lead to crashes. It is recommended that you uninstall the extensions one by one and reinstall the ones that you require.
- Issues with Hardware Acceleration
This could be another cause of Chrome crashing. In order to fix this one can explore their system in the following ways:
- Open Settings and visit more tab.
- Click on Advanced option.
- Go to System section and turn off the option of hardware acceleration.
- Restart your web browser.
The above steps can help address the problem of Google Chrome crashing in your computer and get it working smoothly again.