Squirrels are like rodents that are present all around the world. They can be found in your yard or garden and then can turn them into hell by destroying and eating the plants. They can even spread infection if you come in contact with their urine. So, it is always a good idea to stay away from them. Here are some home remedies by which you can get rid of them easily.
Remove the Attractants
Permitting sources of food or even debris to be accumulated in your garden is quite similar to inviting the squirrels to present there down for a meal. So, maintain neatness and cleanliness of your garden in order to avoid attracting these tree-dwellers which are present nearby.
- First of all, rake up all of the fallen fruits, acorns, birdseed and berries.
- Properly clean up any remaining pet food, food or drinks.
- Remove all of the trash and thereafter make sure to secure the bins of garbage. They may easily get attracted to the bins.
- Remove the feeders of bird from your yard. Or you can also replace the birdseed with a kind that squirrels usually do not like at all, like nyger or safflower.
Limit Their Accessibility
Once a squirrel has made its nest on any of your property, it becomes cumbersome to compel it to change its place. You can prevent or reduce the damage to a large extent by taking some steps to limit the ability of squirrel to invade your property or bird feeders.
- Squirrels can easily leap across a distance of at least 10 feet; so just trim any limbs of the tree that cross this threshold limit.
- Cover nearby telephone or electrical wires with the tubing of plastic (so that squirrels cannot balance on it), in order to limit their access to the roof of your property.
- Use a guard of chimney and repair/close all of the holes that may be entering into your house.
- Switch onto bird feeders which are squirrel-proof or a baffle of squirrel to your present feeder.
Try to Identify the Activities of Squirrel
It is of utmost importance to know about the location and nature of your damage done by squirrel along with their paths of traveling so that with this knowledge you can select the method of control which is best suited for you. Some destructive activities may include.
- Excavating of seeds and bulbs, stealing berries and fruits.
- Pilfering seeds of birds from the feeders and girdling of trees.
- Gnawing through the siding of wood and nesting in the attic.
- Digging small sized holes in your yard in order to hoard or collect food.
Choose the Methods Best Suited to Control the Squirrel
Once you are well-versed with the whereabouts and habits of squirrel, you will be on the right track of choosing the control methods that may be best suited for you. The more solutions you will opt for, the better your opportunities will be to get rid of squirrels.
- Use a live squirrel trap to get rid of squirrels. Select a cage trap of small size with a trigger plate (sensitive) that will respond to lightweight animals.
- Place your trap on a surface along a path of squirrels.
- Bait trap by positioning the seeds of sunflower towards the trap’s back behind the plate of the trigger.
- Set the trap and then check it regularly.
Applying a squirrel repellent which is powerful will help in preventing the disastrous chewing and will keep the squirrels from reaching certain problematic areas.
- Spray the repellents of liquid onto the surfaces like lawns, bulbs, trees, soil and bird feeders in order to keep the squirrels off.
- And it will also prevent them from digging and gnawing.
- Sprinkle the repellents of granular all around the structures’ perimeter, gardens, and plants to avoid their entry.
Reinforce the deterrents of taste with the repellents of electronic, which will use spontaneous bursts if the water in order to frighten away the squirrels approaching. These repellents are usually versatile, eco-friendly and can also protect virtually any of the area around your garden.
- Carefully placing a repellent (electronic) within a patch of berry in order to prevent the squirrels from stealing your fruit.
- Place a device (hose-free) on a rooftop which is flat to keep off the squirrels.
- Surround your house with multiple devices for creating a barrier (squirrel-repelling).
Install the fencing of mesh in front of openings (structural), under the porches and also around the vegetation for excluding squirrels from all these areas.
- Create a barrier which is “L” shaped in order for excluding squirrels from the foundations or also access to porches/crawlspaces.
- The mesh should also penetrate the ground almost 1 foot.
- Construct a cage of mesh around all of the bulbs or also even the whole garden in order to keep squirrels out.
- Repellents should also be applied at the very maiden signs of the activity of squirrel for preventing them from establishing any habits or patterns in your property.
- The best repellents of squirrel repel by their taste, which will cause irritation on the encounter.
- Utilizing a lot of solutions for squirrel control will lead to the most effective defense.
Forthwith take the action if squirrel does get in the property to prevent full infestation.
What do squirrels hate the most?
What is the best repellent for squirrels?
Do coffee grounds keep squirrels away?
While you might find the scent of coffee delicious, squirrels don’t. A light layer of coffee grounds around hibiscus plants can keep them from being the pests’ next meal. Just sprinkle some fresh grounds on the soil surrounding the plants to keep squirrels away.
Do dryer sheets repel squirrels?
Does cinnamon keep squirrels away?
Does white vinegar repel squirrels?
Does Irish Spring soap repel squirrels?
They chomp on flower bulbs and other leaves, dig up your favorite plants, and otherwise love to wreck your garden. Protect it by grating some Irish Spring soap around your plants. Squirrels can’t stand the smell of it and will stay away.
Do fake owls keep squirrels away?
An owl decoy in the garden will deter squirrels, as owls naturally prey on rodents. You will have to move the decoy around on a regular basis so the squirrels will not simply get used to its presence.
Do windchimes scare squirrels?
Does scare tape work on squirrels?
Using things like scare tape and mylar pinwheels is pretty effective at keeping the vermin off of your developing fruit in the short term. Spraying leaves and fruit with water and then coating with chili powder or chili flakes works quite well at keeping them uninterested in your plants/fruit.
What animal are squirrels afraid of?
What food is poisonous to squirrels?
- High-sugar foods (candy, cookies, granola, sweetened breakfast cereals)
- High-starch foods (pasta, bread, rice, potatoes)
- Salty foods.
- Human junk food.
- Sunflower seeds.
- Dried corn.
- Pine nuts.