LinkedIn is a renowned social networking site that has millions of users. It serves as a platform for finding friends and acquaintances.
However, the professional format used for expressing the profiles has made it one of the best ways to search for quality jobs in different fields. Mentioned below are a few tips to search for jobs on LinkedIn.
- Keep Your Profile Updated
This is the preparatory step that can help you in making your search process more rewarding. Having a strong profile can help you in getting more responses from other users who check your details. So make sure that your profile is complete in a professional manner. While updating your profile make sure that you follow these steps.
- The image you upload should be professional looking.
- You should list your academic qualifications just as you would do it in a resume.
- You should be more specific about your work experience and enlist all the details in chronological order.
- Write an impressive description of yourself and your work profile. The way you describe should reflect your command over language and communication skills.
- Enter the image of university logos and company logos while mentioning the institutes you have studied and organizations you have worked with.
All this can automatically create a good impression about your personality among prospective employers who check your profile.
- Connect with More Friends
As a part of your job hunt, you should establish connections with more friends and acquaintances. Do not hesitate to send friend requests to old college mates and colleagues whom you had ignored earlier. Once you link with them you can check their profile and also discuss your job requirements.
This would enhance your chances of getting referred by your friends to various openings. While creating new networks, make sure that you avoid unnecessary acquaintances that are not relevant to your job hunt.
- Use the Job Search Option
LinkedIn has provided a separate Jobs menu on the top menu bar.
- Click on the option to check out the advanced search options provided by the site.
- On the top, you have a search field wherein you can enter the type of job you are looking for.
- On the left side of the search box, you can see 3 small lines.
- Click on it to open a drop-down list with options like people, jobs, companies, groups, universities, posts, and inbox. You can select any category to change your search settings. This would allow you to search for jobs based on various parameters.
- To find jobs associated with all the categories, select the option “All” which is mentioned at the top.
- Use Advanced Filters
- On the job search page, LinkedIn has provided lots of filters to make the search more targeted. You can apply these filters to shortlist the results and find jobs that fit your expectations.
- When you open the Jobs page, on the left side you will be able to see some advanced search options like keywords, company, and title. Rather than searching in general, enter your preferences in these fields to filter the search results and shorten the list of openings.
- You can also streamline your search results by choosing a location, country, and postal code. This is an easy way to find companies that are hiring in your city or town.
- Sort by Relevance
Whenever you search for jobs, LinkedIn provides you with a long list of jobs along with the company names. On the top right corner of the search list, you can see an option to sort the results. Choose the option “Sort by Relevance” to get your search results sorted in such a way that the most relevant job openings are listed on the top.
- Get Recommended
LinkedIn provides an option for its users to recommend someone for a particular job opening. This is a useful feature that can improve your chances of getting a better job. In order to get recommended, you can request any of your friends or acquaintances. You can improve your chances of getting recommended by recommending others in your friends’ list.
- Endorse Your Skills
Endorsements made by friends and acquaintances prove the genuineness of the skills and achievements you have listed in your profile. It is one of the best ways to impress a potential employer looking for a suitable candidate.
In order to get endorsed, you can send a personal request to friends who know about your experience and professionalism. Also, you can make things easier by endorsing their skills and achievements. The option has become quite popular and nowadays, whenever people scan different profiles they give more attention to details that are endorsed.
- Send More Applications
While choosing job openings from search results, try to apply for multiple vacancies. This would provide you with a better chance of getting selected for a suitable job. Also when you apply, you will be able to view more vacancies. Once your application is submitted LinkedIn would display a few job openings applied for by other job seekers. This is a great way to learn about more job listings that are not available in the search result.
All the tips mentioned above can definitely improve your chances of finding a great job using your LinkedIn connections. Besides following these steps, you should be consistent in your job hunting efforts until you meet success.
Is LinkedIn a good place to find a job?
What’s better LinkedIn or indeed?
What are the disadvantages of LinkedIn?
- Privacy. Privacy. Image Credit: Pixland/Pixland/Getty Images.
- Time Investment. Time investment. Image Credit: BananaStock/BananaStock/Getty Images.
- Cost. Cost. Image Credit: Jupiterimages/Stockbyte/Getty Images.
- Ethical Issues. Attorney on computer. Image Credit: Stockbyte/Stockbyte/Getty Images.
Is it OK to not have a LinkedIn?
How should a beginner use LinkedIn?
- Step 1: Upload a professional photograph.
- Step 2: Add your Location and Industry.
- Step 3: Customize your LinkedIn URL.
- Step 4: Write a Summary.
- Step 5: Describe your experience.
- Step 6: Add 5 skills or more.
- Step 7: Fill out Education.
- Step 8: Add 50+ Professional Connections.
Do employers really care about LinkedIn?
Does HR look at your LinkedIn?
Do companies know when you look at their LinkedIn?
How do I stay private on LinkedIn?
- Click the Me icon at the top of your LinkedIn homepage.
- Select Settings & Privacy from the dropdown.
- Click Visibility on the left rail.
- In the Visibility of your profile & network section, click Change next to Profile viewing options.
- Select the mode you’d like to browse in.